Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1962 Topps Regular vs Green Tint Cards

My 1962 cards have a greenish tint to them. The cards are numbered from # 110-176 ( Skowron to Yost). Are their any other cards in this set besides these that have this greenish tint to them ? Which ones have more value ( regular or the green) ? I would assume the greenish ones are very rare in comparison to the regualr brown versions !! But is their demand for this lowered supply ? Thanks and I'd appreciate any comments. Mike

Comments

• seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Mike,

The Green Tint version cards run from #110 Bill Skowron to #196 Terry Fox. Initially these were printed in error by Topps and later corrected. I know of no premium for either version.

Several variations resulted from the corrected run of second series cards as Topps apparently used different poses for some of the second series cards. Examples are #129 Lee Walls, #147 Bill Kunkel, #174 Carl Wiley, #176 Eddie Yost, #190 Wally Moon.

There was some discussion about the #139 "Babe Hits 60" card being a newly identified variation a few years ago due to the foul pole being visible on the greent tint version while not readily visible on the corrected version. In my opinion its basically the same card with cropping differences in the two production runs.

Other variations attributable to the corrected print run are the LA Angels team card with and without the photo inset and the second series checklist with a "comma" and "no comma" version.

Again, I have not observed any premiums placed on either version of these cards.

Steve
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Mike,

The Green Tint version cards run from #110 Bill Skowron to #196 Terry Fox. Initially these were printed in error by Topps and later corrected. I know of no premium for either version.

Several variations resulted from the corrected run of second series cards as Topps apparently used different poses for some of the second series cards. Examples are #129 Lee Walls, #147 Bill Kunkle, #174 Carl Wiley #176 Eddie Yost, #190 Wally Moon.

There was some discussion about the #139 "Babe Hits 60" card being a newly identified variation a few years ago due to the foul poul being visible on the greent tint version while not readily visible on the corrected version. In my opinion its basically the same card with cropping differences in the two production runs.

Other variations attributable to the corrected print run are the LA Angels team card with and without the photo inset and the second series checklist with a "comma" and "no comma" version.

Again, I have not observed any premiums placed on either version of these cards.

Steve >>

Steve, thanks for sharing your experience with these '62Ts. Having had the top 1962 Topps Set Registry for the past three years makes you a qualified expert!

I reread the "Grainy Gems: A look at the 1962 Topps Baseball Set" article by Jim Churilla. In it he writes,

"Series Two contains cards that come in two different variations, the regular issue and the tougher “green tint” version. A good example of this would be card #134 Billy Hoeft that shows the regular version with a blue-sky background and the tougher version with the green tint background. This card also has two different facial features, which add to its appearance. It is not known exactly why the green tint version was produced, but it is scarcer, and as a result, as much as six to ten times more valuable than the regular version."

Is he referring to just the Billy Hoeft version being 6-10 times more valuable?! I've got an entry in that Set Registry too, but don't have the experience in researching that variation.

Thanks again!
    Mike B.:

I'm going to presume the multiplier Jim is referring to applies to the Hoeft card only. In completing my set which contains both the regular and green tint version of each series 2 card, I certainly "paid-up" to get certain versions of each card. Generally, it has been my experience the green tint version is no more scarcer, desirable or expensive than the corrected version of series 2 cards. It seems to boil down to a given collector's personal preference; some collectors view the green tint card as an inferior example while others like the green tints for their quirkiness.

Not all green tint versions are easily identifiable. In some cases I had to put the cards side-by-side to tell the difference. In addition to the obvious lime-green tinting, some "green-tints" are more grayish and bland when compared with the corrected version. Besides the obvious color difference, green tint cards can also be identified by the blurred/poorly focused player photos.

I'm not sure what technical error was made in the initial printing process that produced the green tint variations. Perhaps someone else on the boards has some knowledge or resources available to further explain.

BTW, I unsuccessfully lobbied PSA to have green tint versions added to the 1962 Topps Master Set on the PSA Registry. At this point, probably too many cards have been graded to make this addition.

Steve,

Thanks for the additional info. The '62 set was the first I bought as a kid. I'll have to check to see what I have the most of. It seems like I've got a lot of the green-tint cards.

You also wrote,

<< <i>BTW, I unsuccessfully lobbied PSA to have green tint versions added to the 1962 Topps Master Set on the PSA Registry. At this point, probably too many cards have been graded to make this addition. >>

Aha! I was curious as to why they didn't differentiate between the two variations in the Set Registry! I'll bet you hit the nail on the head there. They wouldn't want to have to reholder all the currently graded ones -- but then again, they could probably make some $$$ by offering to do it for a re-sub fee!

Just a thought.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, I unsuccessfully lobbied PSA to have green tint versions added to the 1962 Topps Master Set on the PSA Registry. At this point, probably too many cards have been graded to make this addition. >>

Steve- I lobbied PSA on another variation recently, the '49 Leaf Peterson Red Cap variation. After a brief exchange Joe let it in, and started designating the appropriate cards as such. The pop report is off, but what else is new.
    Green tints are a legit, recognized variation in '62 Topps, and IMO should be recognized as such both on the flips, in the pop report, and on the master set registry.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Griffins,

I agree with you that Green Tints are recognized as a legit variation. It's probably worth discussing with Joe one more time...
  • I'm not sure what technical error was made in the initial printing process that produced the green tint variations. Perhaps someone else on the boards has some knowledge or resources available to further explain.

My only though is that the "ink man" at the Topps factory flubbed. My Pops has worked in the printing industry for over 45+ years and he worked for a ton of various companies either under a company he worked for for 30 years, or as an independent contractor(he did work at the Raleigh-Durham Fleer plant in the 90's). Basically, an "inkman" is in a dark room and he checks the print dots with a printers loupe to see to the color combinations. I know an "inkman" who worked with my father for 30+ years at various companies(book manufactuers, magazine printers, etc.) and he was considered for a very long time to be one of the best in the web press printing industry. His family lived on the same block that I grew up on and my father(a tool and die master by trade) told me on numerous occasions how hard it is to detect smaller nuansaces(sp, way off I know) in colors especially when most printing plants typically only had one ink guy and would substitute a regular pressman if the "inkman" wasn't working. This leads to a lot of the differeations in colors that are seen throughout the industry(from trading cards, to books, magazines, scratchoff lottery tickets, etc. etc.). Just my .02.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>'m not sure what technical error was made in the initial printing process that produced the green tint variations >>

It would be a lack of magenta ink, or a plate (separation) that called for a lack of magenta.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• griff & sein-
    i'd be willing to contact joe, as well...
    do you think it would help to mount a campaign?
    or, perhaps refer joe to this thread if enough collectors/set registrants air their opinion?
    what was instrumental in getting psa to recognize the '52 "black backs?"

who else thinks psa should recognize the '62 green tint variaions?
    Mark- in the case of the variation I was working on it didn't take that much effort. Joe was very reasonable and accessible, as are BJ, Gayle and Cosetta. I just wrote him an email and explained why I thought it was a legit variation, and cited examples of others recognizing it (lots in Mastro and another auction house, a post or 2 on Net 54, and the post here about it). There is no downside from PSA's standpoint, they stand to get a bunch of cards regraded.
    I'd just write him a short, concise email outlining why you think it should be included, and I'm sure it will happen.

PS- you missed a horrible show last weekend.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Steve mentioned the two Ruth variations to card 139. There are 2 other variations of that card involving Hal Reniff, portrait and pitching
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    bishop,

You are correct. Here's a scan of the four cards:

As you can see, basically there is a "green tint" version of the Ruth and Reniff cards.

Also, here's a scan of the #159 Hal Reniff card; I have never seen a green tint version of this card. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has.

It looks to me Topps incorrectly numbered the Reniff cards in the first scan #139; should have been #159 in the set.

<< <i>Also, here's a scan of the #159 Hal Reniff card; I have never seen a green tint version of this card. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has. >>

I just checked my #159 Reniff and it does not have the green tint. I don't recall ever seeing one either. I'll be on the lookout from now on.

<< <i>who else thinks psa should recognize the '62 green tint variaions? >>

I'd like to see the green-tint variations included in the Master Set Registry.
  • ok, guys-
    email has been sent to joe and he has always been extremely conscientious about returning them quickly.
    will update later with his reply.

seinbigd-
    thanks for the scan of the four variations. i included it with my email.

anthony-
    sorry the show was terrible... sorry i missed you... glad i didn't make that drive up from southernmost oc!
    will there ever be another good show in so cal?

<< <i>will there ever be another good show in so cal? >>

I"m starting to wonder if there will every be another good show anywhere. The average Mastro catalog beats all of them at this point.

• Thanks for all the reply's to my question. My green tints are from 110-176( excluding 159)and 190. Can someone verify that they do exist for any other numbers ? The # 139 card of Ruth hitting 60th home run has to be a variation. It is very different in color as well as the cropping of the photo ( foul pole ). I would think all would be variations like the 1982 Topps No Black Ink. Mike

Steve said 110 to 196. I agree with him, and have them. The green version of 159 likely is one of the two 139 Reniff cards. At least there was an error in there somewhere. It is not clear to me about a green version in the two Moon cards, 189; I guess batting

Al
  • Provided below are scans of both versions of #110 Bill Skowron, #190 Wally Moon and #196 Terry Fox. These are
    excellent examples of some of the more subtle green tint variations that I described earlier in this thread.
    Also note the Wally Moon "Batting" card is actually the green tint variation which for some unexplained reason
    Topps used a different pose when a corrected print run was issued.

• I would assume that the "Wally Moon Batting" card only comes in the green tint version. Is this assumption correct , or are their regular versions of him batting as well as the other well known variations. Thanks Mike
  • insidethewrapper,

Your assumption is correct. The Wally Moon Batting is available as a green tint only.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Do either of the Reniff cards sell for a premium?

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Ron,

Really haven't seen that many of the Reniff cards offered for sale. The Green Tint version appears to be a bit more difficult to find in high-grade. I consider the PSA-8 example in my set to be low-end.

Steve
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Steve. I have a really nice, PSA 8-quality Reniff pitching example in green tint that I am going to submit sometime soon.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>insidethewrapper,

Your assumption is correct. The Wally Moon Batting is available as a green tint only. >>

Is that for sure? I seem to remember having a non-tinted version of this card.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Mark,

I'm pretty sure about this one but I have been known to be wrong before... You might want to see if you can find it. If you are correct it is worth a premium in high grade.

BTW, this is one of those green tints that is not easily identified. This one is characterized moreso by the blurry focus and grayish-blue hue than the more typical lime-green tinting.
    My understanding would be the same as Steve's. I assume the greenies were a first run and included Moon batting. When they fixed the green in subsequent runs, they changed some poses, including Moon. I have not seen the Moon portrait in green. I am a little less clear on the order of cards 139 and 159

Al
  • hey guys-
    am very curious about this one:
    which came first... green tint or regular, and when?
    as a kid in 1962 i clearly remember getting green tint cards out of packs during the summer months, long after pulling regular cards from packs during the spring months!
    since these were from the second series (distributed early in the season), i always assumed that the green tint were printed AFTER the regular issue.
    tho, i must admit now, it seems more logical the other way around.
    one of our resident experts must know the answer...
  • Mark,

Green tints came first, then a corrected print run.

Separately, any word from PSA about adding Green Tints to the Master Set?
  • no... no response at all!
    is joe on vacation?
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>....as a kid in 1962 i clearly remember getting green tint cards out of packs during the summer months, long after pulling regular cards from packs during the spring months! >>

Mark - I remember picking green tint packs all summer in various locations. Candy store owners didn't quite get it - they didn't put out new boxes until the old boxes sold; if the old boxes were an old series, nobody wanted them so they sat there. I can remember picking up early series packs at drug stores during football season!!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

• << <i>no... no response at all!
    is joe on vacation? >>

Still too late to ask about adding the green tint variations to the Master Set Registry?? I'm way down the totem pole and don't feel qualified to get too involved...
    Joe has always been really fair, open and accesible, no matter who you are. I wouldn't worry about your stature, it doesn't seem to matter to him at all. Write a clear, concise email and he'll take it on it's merits.

• << <i>Joe has always been really fair, open and accesible, no matter who you are. I wouldn't worry about your stature, it doesn't seem to matter to him at all. Write a clear, concise email and he'll take it on it's merits. >>

Maybe CU is just waiting for one more "straw (vote) to break the camel's back". I'll have to write and see what they say.

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Just a quick note to add to this discussion. I've been relying on not only the coloring differences between these printing versions, but also the cropping of the photos (re the foul pole/no foul pole difference in the Ruth Special card). That has helped me in distinguishing the different runs when the coloring is not a giveaway...
  • Maybe the green tint is subtle enough to where i don't see it... i'm no expert in 62 Topps. Below are a couple Moon's i had and the bat version does not seem to have any green tint. The "no-hat" version does have a very slight tint to it. Is that the green tint you guys are referring to?

<< <i>Maybe the green tint is subtle enough to where i don't see it... i'm no expert in 62 Topps. Below are a couple Moon's i had and the bat version does not seem to have any green tint. The "no-hat" version does have a very slight tint to it. Is that the green tint you guys are referring to? >>

Here's an example of the green tint and the difference in cropping -- especially evident at the bottom of each photo:

imageimage
  • I love how the Wally Moon card is distinguished by "with cap" or "no cap"!! How about the fact that the entire card is a different pose and looks nothing close when compared to each other? I just find that funny.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and looks nothing close when compared to each other? I just find that funny. >>

Like the joke where you can tell the horses apart because the white horse is 3 inches taller than the black horse. image
  • Wally had a serious uni-brow working back in the day!
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!

<< <i>

<< <i>Also, here's a scan of the #159 Hal Reniff card; I have never seen a green tint version of this card. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has. >>

I just checked my #159 Reniff and it does not have the green tint. I don't recall ever seeing one either. I'll be on the lookout from now on. >>

I'm getting very close to completing my '62T Master Set Registry, including the green tint variations of cards 110-196. I have yet to see any green tint version of the #159 Reniff card. Logically, it seems to me that a green tint version would not exist. If Reniff was mistakenly labeled with the green tint and no tint variations as card #139, card #159 may have been a correction in a later run.

Has anyone else spotted a #159 green tint Reniff??

Thanks!

<< <i>Wally had a serious uni-brow working back in the day! >>

Ha! Just today I saw a uni-brow labeled as "HMS" -- "High Mustache Syndrome"!

<< <i>

<< <i>

I just checked my #159 Reniff and it does not have the green tint. I don't recall ever seeing one either. I'll be on the lookout from now on. >>

I'm getting very close to completing my '62T Master Set Registry, including the green tint variations of cards 110-196. I have yet to see any green tint version of the #159 Reniff card. Logically, it seems to me that a green tint version would not exist. If Reniff was mistakenly labeled with the green tint and no tint variations as card #139, card #159 may have been a correction in a later run.

Has anyone else spotted a #159 green tint Reniff??

Thanks! >>

I also think the only green tint Reniff is the 139 "pitching". I think it was labeled 139 instead of 159 in error in the first run, which I think involved all the green tints. It was was changed, like Moon, to a portrait in the second run, but the number error was repeated. When discovered, it was corrected. An October 23, 2009 SCD article also seems to come to that conclusion

Al

<< <i>I also think the only green tint Reniff is the 139 "pitching". I think it was labeled 139 instead of 159 in error in the first run, which I think involved all the green tints. It was was changed, like Moon, to a portrait in the second run, but the number error was repeated. When discovered, it was corrected. An October 23, 2009 SCD article also seems to come to that conclusion >>

Fantastic! I've got to get a copy of that SCD to include with my set. I appreciate your input on this subject. Even after I complete my set, I'm going to have a "permanent" search set up for all 159 Reniffs that come up for sale -- just in case. I want to have a complete Master set along with all of the tint variations. I only need a handful more in PSA7 or better to complete that "subset". When I have all the cards together, I'm going to scan both versions and display them side-by-side like Steve has done.

Ideally, PSA will include these variations in the Master Set Registry one day...
    bishop is right-on.

Not sure why PSA will not add the green tints to the master set. I don't think PSA will consider adding green-tints to the master set until there is more support to do so from the PSA collector base.
  • I distinctly remember buying 5 packs from the same box in 1962 and pulling both Bill Kunkel variations from those packs.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the modern version of the 1962 Topps set. The picture doesn't show the difference between the cards very well.

Card on the left has light brown borders and average gloss, middle card is a darker brown and seems to be less glossy, card on right jumps out at you color and gloss wise and seems to have a greenish tint. On some of the other cards, there seems to be another that has a lighter border and a "washed out" appearance.

Possibly some of this is because the black ink was running low?

I don't know if PSA should consider going down the road of creating additional slots because of tints, but if the card has been cropped, it should certainly constitute a "new" item.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set