Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Lincoln Memorials...Possible New Set

I was thinking about starting up a new set. I'm fairly new at this, but I decided I want to look at Lincoln cents, and determined it would be way too expensive for me to do a wheat set. So, therefore I'm thinking of going with 1959- What should I start with and what are te key dates? Enlighten me as to what you know because I'm still learning. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I think you will have a lot of fun putting this set together. This is the same set I am working on at the moment. It does have some tough dates to come by especially in higher grade. I would recommend talking to LincolnsRule a board member here as he has some great coins to get you started.

As far as key dates go feel free to PM me sometime and I can share what information I have. I track all my Lincoln coins in a spread sheet that also tracks price and desired grade as well as population. I would be happy to share this information with you if you PM me.

Good luck,

Zach
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Believe it or not, you can do a complete basic date Lincoln cent collection (1959 thru 2006) by date and mint mark in uncirculated condition (ie) MS 64/65 red for no more than $100 to $200. Of course, the set would not be slabbed, but it would be complete. You could put your set into a nice Capital holder. Remember, coin collecting is a hobby. If you are interested in the investment nature of this hobby, then sure, you need to get only the top pop coins, but if you are interested in collecting for YOUR enjoyment, then what I suggest could make a lot of sense. Good luck. Steve image
  • Options
    Unless you really want to collect the very best, Steve's idea is great. Most sellers of raw sets the set will mostly be Bu ms60 or maybe ch Bu at best. To get a true ms65 set you'd have to build it yourself coin by coin (I used to build such raw sets to sell but I'm not sure I have the resources to do so anymore).

So if you want to do a pcgs set, stick to ms66 and higher. 90% of the dates are pretty common even in that grade. 63-d is really the only rare date. That one is worth every penny it'll cost. 69-s,71-s,72-s,73-s,74-s are the other toughies. They all will likely cost over $100 in ms66, but as long as the coin is nice for the grade it is worth it (there's nothing wrong with ms65's on those if you can't afford ms66's). There are a TON of overgraded coins out there. You really need to see a bunch and learn for yourself what's nice for the grade and what's not or overgraded. If you stick to the most recent pcgs holders (no coin number or series number) then you'll likely end up with really nice coins overall. If you want to collect the very best, ie. low pop ms67 and ms68 coins, there are a lot of really good dates well worth the price, and a lot of overpriced dates.

In any case, your choice of set is great!! When done you can expand to Lincoln wheats, or you can expand to the other modern series like Jefferson Nickels and Roosies etc. (That's what I collect, all Lincolns 1909-1998, and all other us coins from about 1959-1998).
  • Options
    Thank all of you for the advice and the information. I will have to figure out what exactly what I'm going to do, but I'm leaning toward a PCGS or NGC (or both) set.
  • Options
    Ngc is actually more consistent than pcgs, but their grading scale is such that many more coins will make a higher grade. An example is an ngc ms69 1989-p Lincoln I know of. It's a very nice coin but still does have a speck or two. Pcgs would grade it ms67. The highest pcgs has given out is ms68 and to only 8 coins. I've seen two of them and they were way overgraded to pcgs's current standards. Probably all 8 are overgraded. 89-p Lincolns just hardly ever come without strike weakness or specks (usually plenty of both). So, if one buys that ngc ms69 for $1000, what are they getting, a true wonder coin, or a coin equal that of many coins in pcgs ms67 holders for $45? Honestly, I don't know, both scenarios could be the case.

edit for spelling
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might consider making a few of the '86 to date cents yourself. These come extremely nice
    in mint sets and are pretty cheap. Of course if you want them slabbed it will cost more.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I think you would enjoy it a lot.
    I built up a penny set and it has been a lot of fun for me.
  • Options
    My next step is saving up some money so I can actually buy some.
  • Options
    I'll start you off and send you a pair of free coins. pm me your address please.
  • Options
    PM sent. This is why these boards are great.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a couple I will send also. PM me your address.
    Doug
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Lincoln Memorials 1959-, sounds like a good way to end up with a collection where the plastic is worth more than the coins. I'd go raw on this set.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>I'll start you off and send you a pair of free coins. pm me your address please. >>

Coins received in the mail today. Thank you very much. My collection has officially started.
  • Options
    Glad you like them! Nice photography of the 81-d by the way. Feel free to post it here for us to see!
  • Options

<< <i>Glad you like them! Nice photography of the 81-d by the way. Feel free to post it here for us to see! >>

This is what I took after many many tries.

• Options
    Very nice pictures and welcome to the set. Let me know if you need any advice or help on some of these. I am not an expert by far but I do know my way around the series and I will be working on it for quite a while to come as I am only 50% complete so far.

Zach

PS I will send you that file soon, still workin on that computer.