Home Metal Detecting
Options

New detector sniffs out some gold.

I recently acquired a new (used) detector since I was having problems with the weight of the GTI. I chose to go with a hip mounted system to get the weight off of my arm and make hunting more enjoyable. I chose the Minelab Sovereign to be my new hunting partner and I am learning the ins and outs of the machine.

After assembling it, I studied the sounds of targets for an hour or so by airtesting as much treasure and trash as possible.
I then took it to the local fairgrounds for it's first hunt. I dug every signal in a small area and came away with a large pile of trash and 9 cents, which included a silver war nickel. (MY first!) I then hit a spot on the midway where all the food stands and rides are set up during local events. I have hunted this area with the GTI and found lots of clad, so I headed back with the Sov.

After about 10 minutes of digging trash I was rewarded with this 14K gold ring, which has a melee size diamond set in the Great Danes eye.

imageimage

This is the coolest ring I've found to date and was really surprised when it came out of the ground. I will continue my learning experience with the sovereign and hope to post some more goodies in the near future.

HH

GR
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    WTG on that cool ring John image

I think you're going to love that Sov... it's a powerful tool for turf and sand.

HH! image
  • Options
    Congrats! The Sovereign is a great machine. I swung an Elite for awhile and made some decent finds including my first Barber quarter with it. Swing low and slow and pay attention to those tones.

Next up for me is the Quattro!

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    Very cool ring! Good luck with the new machine.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    That ring rocks John, very nice find!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Silver and gold on its first time outimageimage
    How's the swinging without the extra weight?
  • Options
    Thanks guys and gals.

Like Agile says you need to swing slowly with this machine or you will miss the deep ones.

Tim the differance is amazing. It's like swinging a nerf bat compared to the GTI. The hip-mounted sovereign is over 2.5 lbs lighter than the GTI, but if shaft mounted there is only a few ounces differance.
    imageimage
  • Options
    TheGuyTheGuy Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Congrats, great finds! image
    "Sometimes we don't know just what to do when adversity takes over." -- Cannonball Adderley
  • Options
    nice one!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    image WOW! A golden Scooby Doo.

I love finds like that. Even without the diamond or the gold, I often enjoy items like that more than coins. Neat find.
    imageimage
  • Options
    That is a nice ring. Good job.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nice finds Goldrush...I was wondering how much difference there was in the hip mount on the Minelab as opposed to the GTi carried in the hip mount mode..
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    That's a killer ring Goldrush! Good job!
    That beats a plain gold band several times over!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

<< <i>Nice finds Goldrush...I was wondering how much difference there was in the hip mount on the Minelab as opposed to the GTi carried in the hip mount mode.. >>

Using the GTI battery pack hip mount dropped 1.7 lbs off the shaft, leaving you with 3.1 lbs to still swing. The worst part of using the hip mount on the GTI was the fact it left everything way out of balance and was quite cumbersome to swing in my opinion. With the sovereign hip mount I am swinging just over 2 lbs now.

<< <i>That beats a plain gold band several times over! >>

Not one dating to the 1700's! image
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The worst part of using the hip mount on the GTI was the fact it left everything way out of balance and was quite cumbersome to swing in my opinion >>

With 'out of balance', I assume you mean it's not well balanced front-to-back? (I can't imagine they'd design it to be out of balance left-to-right..)
    I must admit I'm very tempted to snag one of those detectors (GTI) myself imageimageimage
    It has some interesting features like the graphic identification and shallow trash filtering that I'd like to try out..
    That would be a very embarrassing victory for the Garrett-mafia... imageimage

<< <i>Not one dating to the 1700's! image >>

That, Sir, is all in the eye of the beh... uh.. Great Dane image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The worst part of using the hip mount on the GTI was the fact it left everything way out of balance and was quite cumbersome to swing in my opinion >>

With 'out of balance', I assume you mean it's not well balanced front-to-back? (I can't imagine they'd design it to be out of balance left-to-right..) >>

Exactly Zot. The toe of the coil wants to lean forward kinda. You really notice it with the 12.5 inch imaging coil on. The large coil is quite heavy in itself!

<< <i>I must admit I'm very tempted to snag one of those detectors (GTI) myself imageimageimage
    It has some interesting features like the graphic identification and shallow trash filtering that I'd like to try out.. >>

It's a great machine Zot! My problem is my bad shoulder and elbow from years of pushing drywall machines. My last to outtings left me with a baseball size swelling in my elbow. I had to get rid of the weight.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very cool looking ring and congrat's on the gold!!HH,Tom
  • Options

<< <i>That would be a very embarrassing victory for the Garrett-mafia >>

LOL.........Use the force........ZOT...Use the force........
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The worst part of using the hip mount on the GTI was the fact it left everything way out of balance and was quite cumbersome to swing in my opinion. >>

I seldom if ever have used the hipmount option with my Garretts. It really doesn't help that much, and when you do use it, it does make everything off-balance. Plus you're then tethered to the machine and the cord gets tangled up often.

I really wish there was some way to remove the control housing from them and use a chestmount harness. That was one feature I wanted in my next detector that I didn't get, since I am the new owner of John's old GTI-2500. I am sure it will be like using my old GTAx-550 but even a little worse, since it is heavier than that. Back when I used a Fisher 1280-X Aquanaut I was able to gerry-rig a chestmount and it really helped. Had the 1280-X been a machine with a meter, I could've read the meter all the better, too, when goin' with a chestmount.

My Troy Shadow is a featherweight compared to my Garretts, even with a big coil mounted. For one thing, it runs off a single 9V battery, versus eight AA's for the Garretts.

Aside from its weight and cumbersome qualities, which seem to be the biggest criticism most folks have of the GTI-2500, I hope the added bells-n'-whistles will enhance my success in the field and allow me to chalk up a few victories for the Garrett Mafia. Steve's recent 1794 half cent found with a GTI-2500 certainly does us credit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... and no, I still have not removed John's GTI-2500 from the box and assembled it yet, much less gone out with it.

Soon, though... very soon.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.