Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the oldest or most unusual coin you have put into circulation

I've put quite a few proof coins into circulation - from cents to halfs from the 70's

The oldest coins have been some Indian Head cents
My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once had a raw mint state 1943 steel cent that I paid just a couple of bucks for. I later decided I didn't like it & took it to Vegas with me to spend. I went in a 7-11 I paid for
    my stuff with it. The cashier (who was certainly old enough to remember 1943) took a look at it, threw it in the garbage, and didn't even ask me for another cent. I told her what
    that was & she said, "I don't care."

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    about 50 "no date" buffalos,...just did it the other day , put them in my register,...customers got a kick out of it.....
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Two Cent Pieces, seven of them.

Russ, NCNE
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo nickels.

• << <i>Two Cent Pieces, seven of them. >>

You're joking right? Too funny. If not did they actually accept them as 2 cents a piece?

from the land of the un usual,
    where hijinx ensues
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    half cents, large cents, 2 centers, and even an occasional worn out bust half.

edited to add: I also received examples of all of these (along with other obsolete series) from circulation as a teen. I believe it was a case of older collectors "priming the pump" so to speak in an attempt to help along new collectors. I simply kept up the tradition.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

<< <i><< Two Cent Pieces, seven of them. >>

You're joking right? Too funny. If not did they actually accept them as 2 cents a piece? >>

I got different reactions at different places, ranging from getting the manager before they'd believe it was real money to immediately buying it from the till. But, everybody accepted them.

Russ, NCNE
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that I am also taking in scuds&cruds from walk-ins, I have been dropping corroded, worn slick or otherwise unsellable Shield/lib/buff nickles as well as Indians into circualation. One of these days, Ill probably get the same coin returning or at least a call asking about a value becuase someone found it in change????

jim

I dropped an 1868 shield, 1890 Lib nickel and a few dateless buff's and 1883 indians into change last week?

• rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭
    In addition to candy one Halloween , the first 75 kids got a group of coins from my indian, buffalo, merc, slq stash. Probably gave rise to 50 YN's! Uh, maybe not. image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A decade ago there was no market for cull half cents, two cents, three cents etc. I'm
    sure they didn't stay in circulation long but I spent a few.
    Tempus fugit.
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    A silver eagle. Bought me a cup o' coffee for a buck.
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Spent 12 Ikes for dinner once. They tried denying me and I told them legally they had to accept US currency.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a really hard time spending a steel cent, too... the cashier basically refused it.

I left a Franklin half dollar sitting on a sidewalk once. I bet it made someone's day.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Spent 12 Ikes for dinner once. They tried denying me and I told them legally they had to accept US currency. >>

Except, of course, that they don't. That's not what "legal tender" means.
  • 1879 Indian Head cent.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    1857 flyer and three cent nickel
  • I put an 1859 Indian Head cent into circulation...They thought it was a dime...LOL
  • Do Brazillian Quarters in a Parking Meter Count ?
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've given out cull Indian Head Cents in change...mostly late 1890-1900 dates. My most recent was a bunch of 1938-42 Jefferson nickels...a few wartime silvers in the mix as I recall.
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

<< <i>

<< <i>Spent 12 Ikes for dinner once. They tried denying me and I told them legally they had to accept US currency. >>

Except, of course, that they don't. That's not what "legal tender" means. >>

I'm quite sure that a restaraunt accepting US cash is legally bound to accept all forms of it, however inconvenient it may be.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

-Horace
    Actually...Flaminio is correct. Just because a note states: "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private" and coinage obviously minted in the United States is legal tender does not compel a vendor to accept it. Re: establishments that don't accept bills over $20.

L

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I put a 1890something Lib nickel in the coke machine at work a few months ago

Have put a slew of modern proofs(69-74) and dated and dateless buffs in circ.

Deposited $3 of IHC in a batch of $30 in cent rolls about a year ago.
    imageimage

<< <i> I put an 1859 Indian Head cent into circulation...They thought it was a dime...LOL >>

I got an 1859 IHC in change when I was working at Dominos Pizza in HS. They thought it was a dime too........was yours corroded as hell and nearly illegible?
    imageimage

<< <i>I'm quite sure that a restaraunt accepting US cash is legally bound to accept all forms of it, however inconvenient it may be. >>

I'm quite sure you're wrong.

Russ, NCNE
    They don't have to accept it if they don't want. Very few gas stations or convienence stores here will accept anything over a $20.
    imageimage

• relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>Spent 12 Ikes for dinner once. They tried denying me and I told them legally they had to accept US currency.

-Daniel >>

You can try paying your taxes to the IRS in pennies, and explain to them they must accept it, and see how they explain reality to you.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note to self: find out where Russ shops with his two cent pieces, even if they're nasty.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • About $1 face in V nickels over the last year (only the ones with nasty corrosion or PVC damage).
  • SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    I tried to spend a $10 platinum eagle and the cashier thought it was a dime. I had to explain to them that it was $10 face value, but they wouldn't take it.

Actually I didn't do this, but it is something that i want to do eventually .
    Most I've ever done was paying with Ikes this year.
    Ok then, I regress, I was told otherwise before. Guess I won't argue that point next time image.

-Daniel

-Aristotle

-Horace
  • coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭✭
    I come across people spending kennedy half dollars.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a few very worn liberty and shield nickels--they had dates but may have qualified as P1 coins..(HAY what am i spending hereimage?) Think the oldest one was an 1868. Bobimage

• << <i>I got an 1859 IHC in change when I was working at Dominos Pizza in HS. They thought it was a dime too........was yours corroded as hell and nearly illegible? >>

Yea...I doubt it was mine I live in Georgia....

Almost forgot...the kids down the street had a lemonade stand a few days ago. I took my two kids down and we paid with Ike Dollars. The looks on their faces was one I'll not soon forget...like they just got a major score!!

• Easy way to create young collectors!
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file