Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Merc Guys and Gals - Question

I recently entered my low grade 16-D (AG03) to my registry set and was very surprised by the pop figures. It shows that there are only 256 graded higher than mine. I would have expected that number to be higher since mine is such a low grade. Any thoughts on this? image
currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay

Comments

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    You coin is in the MS (read as non full bands) listing. The Mercury set has two separate listings, one for full bands and one without full bands. The circulated coins go in the non full bands category. That is why there are two coin numbers in the PCGS book for every Mercury dime.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked the on-line population report and it looks like there should be more than 256 graded higher. According to my reading of this report, there are 696 16-D's graded between VG and MS67 and another 242 graded between VG FB (13 coins are FB and are included between VG and VF grades) and MS67 FB. So it would seem as if there should be more than 256 graded higher.

Tell you what, we live reasonably close. Why don't you delete your dime from your collection and then drive it over to me. Give the dime to me and then I'll add it to my set and we can check the figure you got. I'm sure you won't mind giving up your 16-D to further aid the search for truth! ( image)

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    Mark,

As much as I would love to further research of our wonderful hobby, I couldn't possibly sully up ypur set with my measly little AG03 16-D. If I did that, I would be drummed out of the Merc club as a set sullier... image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    DeepCoin, what would explain the coin showing up in my set over this past weekend (and even Monday and maybe yesterday) with a grade of MS03FB? I didn't think something as low grade as 03 would be able to get the FB designation (especially since you can't even tell there are bands on the coin image ) or have the letters MS attached to a grade of 03. Now, today it is showing up in my set as the grade as it appears on the slab. Starnge... image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2Lab:
      The Pop Report I have shows 509 Total 16D's Slabbed with 99 being AG. Again the 16D Pop's are probably really screwed up because of Cracking The 16D's out looking for that 1 point higher grade.
        Ken
          Edit: Because the Spelling Stunk AGAIN.
        1. Options
          I think what may have happened is that they put your coin in the wrong set. You can check that by the number on it. I looked and your AG03 is listed in the full bands set. You can tell the difference as all the FB coins have an odd number for the coin and the non FB coins have an even number. Your 1916-D has an odd coin number.

I also agree with the population numbers for this coin as I am sure there were many crackout and resubmits due to the significant price differences between grades. Perhaps not so much at the AG3 level, but I am sure it is everywhere in the coins grades.
        2. Options
          Rick: Back to the 18D thingy. Just received the New one in the Mail. The ANACS Coin I had in 64 has a Far Superior Strike compared to the PCGS 65 coin. By what I have now seen there is No Reason in the World or other Galaxies why the ANACS coin should not have Crossed when I submitted it to PCGS. Luster is Even a little better on the ANACS coin.
            The Anacs Coin had a couple of Hair Lines but it was only trying to be Crossed to a MS64 Grade.
              PCGS's Arrogance sometimes just ASTOUNDS Me.
                Take Care: Ken
              1. Options
                Ken,

While we are on other Merc issues, there is a nice PCI 1939-S Merc on eBay right now. I know it would be a crack out and submit, but it seems to be an FB coin. The seller has a 14 day return privledge.... Just another coin to consider
              2. Options
                Thanks Rick. I'll go look.imageimage
              3. Options
                Well Everyone: Rick (DeepCoin) found a 39S on eBay for Me to look at. While I was over there 3 of them are now up for Auction.
                  Here they are: PCI 64FB...........ICG66............ACG68FB....... YOWZA...BIFF....BAM......HOT DAMN !!!!!!!
                    Should I Bid on that 68FB Coin ????
                      My Chuckle for the Day.
                    1. Options
                      Its been 3 Hours and No Answer on the 39S question.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
                    2. Options
                      SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
                      A2labmom the only thing Merc's are good for is drilling a hole in them and use them as a fishing lure.image
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
                    3. Options
                      I tried that, Spooly, and the darn fish spit it out and hit me in the head. That's why I decided to send it away for grading. I figured if the fish didn't want it, maybe somebody would...image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
                    4. Options
                      2Lab:
                        Do Not take that from him !!!!!! Just a Darn Trouble Maker thats all. Get Tough with him and tell him what you really think about the Fishing Lure statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      1. Options
                        Ken,
                        I am sure that you should go for the 68fb, you know how that ACG under grades, heck I think it might have a shot at 70....imageimage

by the way spooly, they do make great fishing lures......NOT
                        Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>