Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1987 TOPPS AMERICAN NFL Football Made in Ireland

Can anyone tell me anything about this set of MINI cards? I have the complete set of 87 cards, but really don't know much about the value, if any. I do see that some of the cards show up in the pop report...

Comments

• Options
    those are topps uk i believe.. they're good cards.. grade the stars at the very least. i'd be interested in seeing a picture of the joe montana, but i already have it in psa 9 so it's a long shot that i could upgrade.. you should be able to find a good home for most of them if they grade well. that's my 2 cents.

added: if it gives you any perspective, i paid $25 for my psa 9, which i believe to be a fair price.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    The card fronts are the same as the 1987 regular topps cards but are smaller and the backs are different I believe. They were sold in wax boxes - I bought one a year ago from which I graded several 10's including a Jerry Rice. The cards tend to have a rough cut on the sides - check out my Marino master set. I have a nice PSA 9.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    suggest grading anyone besides Marino, Montana, Rice, and Payton? I think all 4 are between 9-10 grades...
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I suggest grading everyone EXCEPT Rice, Marino, Montana, and Payton. See, that way you're going against the grain and you will trick the market into thinking the commons are better than the stars. Then the whole set goes up, and then you conquer the card world, you mad evil genius...... Just kidding, I would grade anybody with a shot at 10 that you think people are out there collecting. Grade the decent RCs too.

Lee
  • Options
    elway, flutie, e. smith, l. taylor, c. haley, j. everett rc, s. largent, m. allen, h. long, e. dickerson, s. jones rc, r. cunningham rc, r. white, j. kelly....

shall i keep going or do you have a beckett guide? there's LOTS of good cards in that set, assuming they grade high.

in fact, whattaya want for it? image

errrr scratch emmitt off that list... still lots of good ones.
  • Options
    after quickly looking at the checklist on the back of the yellow box, i don't see some from your list: howie long, e. smith, charles haley...are we talking about the same set?
  • Options
    hmmm maybe not.. i was assuming they were the same basic cards as the regular 87 set.. i think greg has some more extensive info on this set in his super book.....

greg?
  • Options
    Montanafan is right with his checklist, this set is loaded, don't forget the Simms and Elway also. I've been getting these graded off and on for the last 2 years. I just got the first Montana, Marcus Allen and Jim Kelly psa-10's in my last submission. Sometimes these can be a little confusing to get graded. I seem to average 8's and 9's but I've received a few psa-5's too, go figure. Watch out for the corners, they will look sharp but under closer inspection there will be surface creases or a chunk of card taken out. I've seen a few with surface wrinkles across the front that are hard to detect too. Overall really cool cards!!

Mike
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>after quickly looking at the checklist on the back of the yellow box, i don't see some from your list: howie long, e. smith, charles haley...are we talking about the same set? >>

The set is smaller than the regular Topps set. Many of the stars are in the UK set but I don't think Cunningham or Flutie is. It's mostly stars.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I just got the first Montana, Marcus Allen and Jim Kelly psa-10's in my last submission

so... got any plans for the montana 10? image
  • Options
    Montanafan: The Montana is heading straight to my set, sorry!! I'm hoping that this submission arrives in the mail today, I'm kind of excited to see the Montana!!

Mike
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    So is anyone going to be joinging me on the 1987 Topps American/UK Football PSA Set Registry? I am always looking for wax boxes and cases of 1987 Topps American/UK Football.

Val
  • Options
    Val - looks like you only have like 5 cards registered so far....are you looking for more? any interest in my set?
  • Options
    I have a few sets already. How is the centering of the cards? From my experience these are usually off center. I am always looking for mint centered cards. Do you have any scans? I also have my extra 1987 Football Topps American / UK cards for sale HERE
  • Options
    wow - great site - i'll be contacting you for fill-ins for my Dirk nowitzki master registry. Can you take a look at it, currently #1, and send me pricing for all the holes you can fill? I am looking for nm-mt cards....
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>after quickly looking at the checklist on the back of the yellow box, i don't see some from your list: howie long, e. smith, charles haley...are we talking about the same set? >>

The set is smaller than the regular Topps set. Many of the stars are in the UK set but I don't think Cunningham or Flutie is. It's mostly stars.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Just playing with you on this one Greg.

Gentry?
    Landeta?
    Winder
    Rulon Jones?
    Kevin Butler?
    Cody Risen?
    Hanford Dixon?
    Tony Franklin?
    Ken Obrien
    Wesley Walker?

Dennis Harrah?
    And more, those are stars???

I know you said mostly.
  • Options
    SportLots is a web site made up of a few hundred card sellers. Sportlots allows sellers to add trading cards to the site for collectors to purchase. Collectors then make payment to Sportlots instead of having to send payment to each individual seller.

I only have cards in the 1987 Topps Football UK set. You can contact each seller and request pics of the cards you want.

Val