Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Copper bars

I'm the pround owner of 1000 gram of copper in a bar. I don't care if you think this is dumb...I like itimage

Comments

• Options
    ManMan Posts: 1,002
    Very cool, how are you storing it to keep it from discoloring?
  • Options
    I'll let you know when it arrives..NEWP

Maybe I will keep it on my deskimage
  • Options
    ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!!!! If you do not mind me asking, where did it you buy it?
    Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC
  • Options
    ebay
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    How could you be sure it is copper?image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Sweet! I like Elements.

It would be fun to collect the same size bars in as many elements as possible. A Magnesium bar that size would weigh 1/5 as much , and an Osmium or Iridium bar (if you could afford it) would weigh about 2 1/2 times as much as the copper one. You could probably find a bar of Tungsten for a reasonable price.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Iran could help with the Uranium bar. image

I like the copper bar. That ranks high on the coolness factor.

David
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe Iran could help with the Uranium bar. image >>

For that matter, a kid in Iraq or Afghanistan can probably just wander around outside and find spent uranium armor-piercing rounds lying on the ground.

Incidentally, if anyone knows where I can get any pre-made depleted Uranium planchets 1mm thick and 19mm in diameter, PM me. It's ironic that uranium is such a common element in the earth's crust, yet so expensive and hard to find in the scrap metal market.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a coffin! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ILikeMercsILikeMercs Posts: 1,392
    copper bars?.............I'd stay out of em cuz when they get drunk they all have guns.........image
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    These things are really cool, never considered one or seen one before, I'm sold. Looked at a number on eBay after reading this. So I too have to own one. Absolutely no use for it, maybe a paperweight?
    "To know the road ahead, ask those coming back"
  • Options
    IRCWCoinsIRCWCoins Posts: 895 ✭✭
    That is image What refinery makes those?
  • Options
    That is cool. Send it to me!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool item.
  • Options
  • Options
    How many cents is that?
    Joe
    CONECA #N-3446
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Copper bar stock, it always looks good

Buy,,,,cut up,,,, dress down,,, sell on ebay,, make a little$.

A week or three ago I ask a friend at a fab shop what the cost of laser cutting a 3/8 copper plate (grade A pure) into one oz bars then doing the finish, with fancy etching and serial numbers. On a 1000 piece lot it would make $2-3 per if you can sell all at typical ebay pricing is what it boiled down to using conservative guestimations(sp?)
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

<< <i>How many cents is that? >>

That's a rather vague question?

Are your asking how many zinc cents will this bar make? I don't know?
    Are you asking how many copper cents will this bar make? I don't know?
    This is all assuming you mean current cents too? If you mean large cents, I still don't know?

If your asking how many cents to purchase this copper bar? 5809 which includes the shipping. And the number is the same if zinc or pure copper small cents are used. image
  • Options
    Is the bar stamped with any degree of "fineness" or is that just a consideration with precious metals ? Who sells these ?
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I would be really wondering about the purity of that bar if from ebay. Someone may be fooing you and the inside of that bar may be just some lousy Gold, Silver or Platinum. Would you be cheated then.
    Now if your going to start a collection of bars, let me know wen you find a bar of Latinum. Good at any Foringy(not sure of spelling) Way station. A bar of Krypton would be cool but we all know who couldn't touch it.
    Carl
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    What's copper spot these days as I haven't a clue??image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    pound = 0.45359237 kilogram
    (mass)

Where's the deal...$$$$..............???????
    It's a novelty....yes.........
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>Where's the deal...$$$$..............??????? >>

No deal for sure compared against spot price, however if we wait 72 years, maybe. It is as you say a novelty. A cool one.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like one as a door stop, but it's a bit of a premium over spot image. Cool though and I have been tempted a couple times when I've run across those auctions.

• Options

<< <i>How many cents is that? >>

I assume you mean pre-82 Lincoln cents. Easy math: 1000 grams / 3.11 g/cent = 322 cents. Quite a markup. Of course, it's made in Kansas which counts for a lot with me! Rock Chock!
  • Options

Interesting conversation piece. Tell us, does the bar actually say "Copper" on it?

If not, I wonder how long it will be before some enterprising eBayer plates one in very-thin-Gold and tries to sell it as a "GOLD BAR FROM ESTATE SALE L@@K" (plus low shipping from China, of course).

thecointrader
    "Giving away an MS-65 $20 St. Gaudens to everyone logged in when I make my 10,000th post..."
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>Maybe Iran could help with the Uranium bar. >>

What I find interesting is that there is a spot market for Uranium! Currently $45/lb.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is an example of an eBay copper bar. >>

They use the BIG type, it must be a good investment. That's what I go by. If the type is small, how could it be a good investment?

Seriously. the bar is really cool. I am thinking I want one. Not a bad price, I guess. Anyone care to do the math? Please?

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    I don't get it. If copper is $3.23 per lb. Why would someone spend $49.99 for 2.2 lbs of copper? The copper value in that bar is only $7.10image
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭
    You can buy uranium legally, go to www.unitednuclear.com. Click on the metals/elements and scroll down. (Just don't tell Iran)
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> don't get it. If copper is $3.23 per lb. Why would someone spend $49.99 for 2.2 lbs of copper? The copper value in that bar is only $7.10 >>

I personally don't get it either. I guess if falls into the category of how much you will pay for an item that you perceive to be "cool".

I kinda like the copper bar - it does have a "coolness factor". But that factor only gets me excited if the price is about $15 or less.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

<< <i>You can buy uranium legally, go to www.unitednuclear.com. Click on the metals/elements and scroll down. (Just don't tell Iran) >>

I was going to buy a sheet of DU from them, but what I really need is cent-sized planchets. Cutting or punching blanks out of a really hard sheet of metal is difficult and bound to create little shavings, which will spontaneously combust, and then I'd have radioactive smoke drifting around the house image

'Course, if one of you fine folks is good at such things, we might be able to work out a deal...
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Next you'll see auctions for 1 Kilo copper, and the winner gets 322 pre 82 lincoln cents!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>Good at any Foringy(not sure of spelling) Way station. >>

The correct spelling is Ferengi

<< <i>let me know wen you find a bar of Latinum. >>

Now would that be regular latinum or gold-pressed latinum?
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be fun to collect the same size bars in as many elements as possible. >>

Yes it would. However, many elements are quite toxic.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to buy these ones Link to Different Elements vacuum sealed in glass ampoules

It would also be fun to have these in every metal Coins
  • Options
    I'm tempted to buy these ones Link to Different Elements vacuum sealed in glass ampoules

What for? looks like 4/30 would (could) be empty. @ $199.99 image

The elements that are included in the set are: Aluminum, Argon, Bismuth, Boron, Carbon, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Germanium, Hafnium, Hydrogen, Indium, Iron, Lanthanum, Lead, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Niobium, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Silicon, Tantalum, Tin, Titanium, Tungsten, Vanadium, Yttrium and Zinc.
  • Options
    I was wondering how you could vacuum seal the ones with gasses in them without losing the gas myself image
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997

<< <i>I'm tempted to buy these ones Link to Different Elements vacuum sealed in glass ampoules

What for? looks like 4/30 would (could) be empty. @ $199.99 image

The elements that are included in the set are: Aluminum, Argon, Bismuth, Boron, Carbon, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Germanium, Hafnium, Hydrogen, Indium, Iron, Lanthanum, Lead, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Niobium, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Silicon, Tantalum, Tin, Titanium, Tungsten, Vanadium, Yttrium and Zinc. >>

I can assure you that the ampoules are NOT empty. Those are being offered by Dave Hamric who is a good friend of mine and a supplier for a great deal of the elements in my personal collection. He has a website (www.elementsales.com) where you can purchase virtually every element on the periodic table. He currently is attempting to make a coin out of every element that you can possibly do that with. He is an honest person and the ampoule that says "argon" contains only argon gas.

That copper bar is pretty sweet. One of those made out of iridium would be INSANELY expensive, but incredibly heavy. (I.E. the same sized bar). I too think it's pretty neat to have a collection of the elements. image I have put together as complete a collection as one could expect to have. I have every isotope of hydrogen, and multiple allotropes of the elements which exhibit allotropy. It's really a neat collection, and a friend of mine was able to print out on a MASSIVE sheet of vinyl an image I put together using my own elements. It's now hanging on the wall of my office behind where I sit and each day someone comes in and comments on how neat it is.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options

<< <i>I was wondering how you could vacuum seal the ones with gasses in them without losing the gas myself image >>

What you do is pull a complete vacuum on the ampoule which withdraws any gas that is in there. Then you back fill it with the gas you are ampouling and seal it shut.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options

<< <i>I have put together as complete a collection as one could expect to have. I >>

Awesome!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have put together as complete a collection as one could expect to have. I >>

Awesome! >>

Thank you. Like a coin collection, it took a lot of time and hard effort, and I'll never really say "I'm Done" because I'm always looking to upgrade/add on. (Check out www.chemicalforums.com if you'd like to see my collection). image I have a sample of every element from Hydrogen through Bismuth, minus Technetium. (I do have some promethium in the form of a watch hand, and I have elemental fluorine gas). In addition, I also have pure uranium metal and have some pure thorium metal on its way to me).
  • Options

<< <i>print out on a MASSIVE sheet of vinyl an image I put together using my own elements. >>

Can we see a pic?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Awesome! >>

Thank you. Like a coin collection, it took a lot of time and hard effort, and I'll never really say "I'm Done" because I'm always looking to upgrade/add on. (Check out www.chemicalforums.com if you'd like to see my collection). image I have a sample of every element from Hydrogen through Bismuth, minus Technetium. (I do have some promethium in the form of a watch hand, and I have elemental fluorine gas). In addition, I also have pure uranium metal and have some pure thorium metal on its way to me). >>

Nice webiste. I'm wandering around your site and it is very interesting..

I like rocks too

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>print out on a MASSIVE sheet of vinyl an image I put together using my own elements. >>

Can we see a pic? >>

Sure. Just click on the link in my previous post. That will take you to the .zip file that houses my image. The one that I have hanging on my office wall is a bit different for various reasons, but the images are basically the same. The site that's hosting the file is a chemistry site I work at which is a place that I wish existed when I was going through chemistry in high school.
  • Options
    If it is made in KS it should be worth 2x what if sold for. You got a steal.
  • Options

<< <i>Sure. Just click on the link in my previous post. >>

That is WAY cool..bet it cost a pretty penny to put that collection together.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file