Options

112 Year Old Aluminum

I didn't know it could look so niceimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    VERY NICE !! imageimage
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    it looks like someone put a hole in that coin, and then
    promptly put it away. strange that.

or did it come with a hole?
  • Options
    ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

That coin has some AMAZING detail-for its age!!
    Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC
  • Options
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Hole looks to have been added after striking. But it's in amazing condition for aluminum.

And a very attractive design. No room for spaghetti hair on that baby!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

<< <i>it looks like someone put a hole in that coin, and then
    promptly put it away. strange that.

or did it come with a hole?

>>

My understanding is that they were produced with the hole. Perhaps a medal expert can confirm this. This particular medal is HK-249.
  • Options
    Very nice!

Looks like post-mint holeage...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hibler Kappen says this one is commonly seen with a hole but rare without it. Many medals
    are holed by drilling or punching by the manufacturer. This does not necessarily affect the
    value or desirability of a piece.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Awesome.
  • Options
    Beautiful! Any idea what was the original issue price or value?

Beginning in 1854, aluminum was more valuable than gold because the Deville method could only produce small lumps at high cost. By 1866 Hall and Heroult had figured out how to use electric current to separate alumina, driving the cost down to around that of silver. By 1888 they were producing ingots using hydroelectricity from Niagra Falls.

By 1893 the price of aluminum was down to about 65 cents per pound, yet artisans might not yet have been familiar with its properties, and were not used to thinking of it as cheap, so they would still work it with the respect and skill reserved for other precious metals. This is evident in the fine design on this piece.

Or maybe our modern coin designs have just gotten so horrible that anything from back then looks good!
  • Options
    Sweet!
  • Options

<< <i>Any idea what was the original issue price or value? >>

No I don't, but would be interested in finding out.

Cladking, do you have a copy of the HK book? Supposedly, they have detailed information on the medals cataloged up through 1960. I think I read here some time ago that someone was doing an update. Anyone have any information on the progress?

These types of medals are still affordable and seem like an interesting collecting area, especially when you start researching the events where they were sold.
  • Options
    They don't have any information that can't be seen on the medal except to note there
    are similar ones with "EUREKA" at top of obverse which is the state seal. It's listed at
    $35 which is very high priced by their figuring but all prices should be taken with a grain
    of salt.

They call it the Electric Tower-State seal dollar.

It's not seen often (at least in the midwest) and I've never seen it cheap.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry bout that
  • Options
    Aluminum is a great metal for the proper purposes. It's good for tokens, medals,
    and low denomination coins that see very limited circulation. It's only real drawback
    is that it wears poorly since the light weight can be more an asset than a liability.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>It's not seen often (at least in the midwest) and I've never seen it cheap. >>

This was an impulse buy for me. I probably paid too much, but I thought it was cool. It's in an NGC slab. Anyone care to guess the grade?image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mea culpa
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    134 year old $20 Liberty pattern made from aluminum. Looks exactly like the day it was minted in 1872. Sorry for the poor picture. Judd-1254.

132 year old $5 Liberty pattern made from aluminum. Judd 1372. Awesome.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Oreville,Pics not great,but the coin looks SUPER.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options

<< <i>134 year old $20 Liberty pattern made from aluminum. Looks exactly like the day it was minted in 1872. Sorry for the poor picture. Judd-1254. >>

Great looking aluminum pattern 5$ piece... WOW!

The hole in the HK-249 is normal, and was done after striking. This was done with many of these medals, so that they could be worn on a ribbon or badge for attendance to the various associated events and celebrations. Putting a hole in them is very common. This particular piece without a hole is extremely rare, because they were almost all hole at the event.

As far as grade goes...it looks to be in excellent condition. Showing proof-like fields are tough with a scanner or a camera, without some real fancy setup. I would guess this is an MS65 DPL piece....... Just a wild guess of course. At any rate, it is a very nice item, and a good start to s so-called dollar collection. image

It is my understanding there are a couple of books in the works. So-called dollars are both mint and non-mint produced. From a good source, there is a book that is to be released by the end of the year that covers So-Called Dollars of the United States Mint. I don't have any more details on it yet, but keep your eyes on the numismatic publications for more information. I'd like to see a release by the ANA in August, but don't think it will happen... I think there is another book, still in the works, and down the road further covering so-calleds of the same era as the original HK book, but expanding on many of the un-listed varieties and off-metals. Just some more vague information at this point, but this has been in the works for quite a while now....
    John
    Evergreen, Colorado

cadmanco
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    139-year-old 5c pattern struck in aluminum. It looks better than Oreville's piece only because of something known as focus. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>134 year old $20 Liberty pattern made from aluminum. Looks exactly like the day it was minted in 1872. Sorry for the poor picture. Judd-1254. >>

Great looking aluminum pattern 5$ piece... WOW!

The hole in the HK-249 is normal, and was done after striking. This was done with many of these medals, so that they could be worn on a ribbon or badge for attendance to the various associated events and celebrations. Putting a hole in them is very common. This particular piece without a hole is extremely rare, because they were almost all hole at the event.

As far as grade goes...it looks to be in excellent condition. Showing proof-like fields are tough with a scanner or a camera, without some real fancy setup. I would guess this is an MS65 DPL piece....... Just a wild guess of course. At any rate, it is a very nice item, and a good start to s so-called dollar collection. image

It is my understanding there are a couple of books in the works. So-called dollars are both mint and non-mint produced. From a good source, there is a book that is to be released by the end of the year that covers So-Called Dollars of the United States Mint. I don't have any more details on it yet, but keep your eyes on the numismatic publications for more information. I'd like to see a release by the ANA in August, but don't think it will happen... I think there is another book, still in the works, and down the road further covering so-calleds of the same era as the original HK book, but expanding on many of the un-listed varieties and off-metals. Just some more vague information at this point, but this has been in the works for quite a while now.... >>

Its graded MS-64 by NGC. I saw the coin and bought on impulse.

I will be on the lookout for the new book. My copy of HK is on order.image
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Lord! I feel like a one-eyed cat in a fish store.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Nice Oreville!

I owned the 16 piece 1868 set. Paid a lot for it too. 75K.

Wonder what it's worth now........image
  • Options
    IGWT - Absolutely beautiful aluminum pattern 5c.....

John
    Evergreen, Colorado

cadmanco
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be on the lookout for the new book. My copy of HK is on order.image >>

Can I inquire as to where you ordered your book and for how much?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I will be on the lookout for the new book. My copy of HK is on order.image >>

Can I inquire as to where you ordered your book and for how much? >>

I bought it online for about $90.00. There is currently one up on eBay, but I couldn't wait.image
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IGWT...that is one truly beautiful pattern IMO. I love the reverse...was it a pattern for a nickel or a 5 dollar gold piece? Just curious!

Aluminum does strike up nicely but fades fast once the coin is in circulation....a lot of darkside aluminum out there and after a while it looks really bad!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    *BLINK* WOW!!
    Amazing!
    And Aluminium!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome.

(Oreville's coin came to mind when I saw it, too.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file