Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan Guys: What do YOU consider to be the Semi-Key Dates?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not the Key dates, but coins in problem free circulated are somewhat tough dates to locate? I'm thinking some of the dates listed might surprise us.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137

<< <i>Not the Key dates, but coins in problem free circulated are somewhat tough dates to locate? I'm thinking some of the dates listed might surprise us. >>

I think the 1878 Philadelphia 8 tf and 7/8 tf are important. They get very pricey for the everyday collector in mint state
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1885-cc and 1903-o are "key" circulated dates in all circ grades.
    The 1879-cc 1893-cc 1894-s 1895-s 1896-s 1902-s 1903-s and 1904-s are probly the toughest to find in au.
    The 83-s 84-s 95-s 96-s 03-s and 04-s are probly the toughest dates to find in ms right now. The 92-s and 1894 will no doubt be on someone's list.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really depends on just how circulated. Coins like 83-S, 84-S, 92-S, 94-O, 96-O, 01, 03-S are not hard to find or very expensive in VF and lower, but finding a nice AU is harder. Dates like 79-CC, 92-CC, 93-CC, 93-O, 94-S, 95-O, 95-S are tougher and more expensive in the lower grades, too. A few, like 80-CC, 81-CC, 85-CC, and 03-O, essentially don't exist in circulated grades. I consider 89-CC, 93-S, and 94 to be the keys.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    In putting together my VF Morgan album, the '85-CC was the impossible date. I posted here on the BST forum multiple times and never got one. I bid up to MS62 prices on a PCGS VF30 on EBAY and got outbid!. I finally won one in a Canadian auction in an ICG slab for about XF money. Since then I saw one other PCGS graded VF coin and I bought it from a dealer who only wanted Greysheet ask money.

There were a couple of other dates that were tricky to find in VF...but nothing equaled the '85-CC in my experience.

As far as semi-key dates for value purposes, I still like the '95-S in VF. It is the only grade that still sells lower than the '95-O, but is 10 times harder to find than a '95-O.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    I appreciate the responses. Some of the coins surprise me.
    I was thinking of putting a set together in GD04 to FN12 or so. Each with smooth, hard dove gray surfaces with no distractions outside of wear. I truly matched set that may take years to collect.

I own a few already, but recently picked these two up:
    PCGS 1893-CC VG08

PCGS 1895-O AG03

I know the 1895 is a bit of a lower grade but I loved the surfaces. They appear attractive and original.
    There is really no price guide for these lower grade coins as even PCGS picks up from VF and higher in their price guide, so I'm winging it a bit on pricing.

I think an evenly matched set of these large silver dollars would make for an attractive display.

peacockcoins

• Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    The 85 CC is hard to find and so is the 81 CC. Few and far between.
  • Options

<< <i> I still like the '95-S in VF. It is the only grade that still sells lower than the '95-O, but is 10 times harder to find than a '95-O. >>

Based on this respected and well qualified opinion, I just pulled the trigger on this one.

I almost purchased it the other night so when I read the valued opinion above that's all the confirmation I needed.

peacockcoins

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm putting together a Date/MM set as well. I'm trying to find the best coins I can afford which will preclude MS in the key-dates and certain semi-keys. Case in point...my 92-S is probably no better than VG8, but I only spent $20 on it...add a couple of zeros on the end for an MS coin. Right now, I've got three dates left for a complete date set...and I'll probably go with the '93 Philli; a '94-O or S; and a '95-S in VF to XF condition. From that point I'll probably put my Morgan collecting on hiatus for a while until I complete some other sets on which I've been working for some time...Leo

BTW...I agree with BAJJERFAN on the semi-keys and accessibility in various higher grades.
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    The 1885CC in circulated is king of coarse. Others in AU CIRCULATED that are very tough are the late O mints--like 98O, 02O, 03O, 04O-- Best values are still the 96S, 95S IMHO-
    --
    edited to add, there's a lot of 94P's on the market right now from some apparent hoards, but this won't last forever.
    morgannut2
  • Options

<< <i>The 1885CC in circulated is king of coarse. Others in AU CIRCULATED that are very tough are the late O mints--like 98O, 02O, 03O, 04O-- Best values are still the 96S, 95S IMHO-
    --
    edited to add, there's a lot of 94P's on the market right now from some apparent hoards, but this won't last forever. >>

I think you must have meant the '02-S and 04-S...Leo

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of putting a set together in GD04 to FN12 or so. Each with smooth, hard dove gray surfaces with no distractions outside of wear. I truly matched set that may take years to collect.
    I think an evenly matched set of these large silver dollars would make for an attractive display.

A matching set of circulated Morgan's is a great project! I spent 2 years finishing my VF20-35 set...and I was extrememly agressive in seeking coins. A more liesurely approach will certainly take a year or two longer.

I agree with your observation that an EVENLY MATCHED set is an attractive display. IMO, the key is EVENLY MATCHED...not only in WEAR but (at least as importantly) in COLOR and surfaces. Now that my set is finished, I take it to shows to see if I can find coins that are a better color and surface match for my key date coins. If your going to wind up with a truly matched set...you pretty much have to have your key coins early on...because that's what you have to match to end with a well matched set. I took my album to a show recently and a dealer asked to see it when he noticed I was looking through Morgan's for better matches to my key coins. I didn't think I was going to get it back from him! Of course, he thought there was no better time than now to sell the set to him!

If you are successful in putting together a color, surface and wear matched set it will be a thing of pride and beauty, I assure you. I would encourage VG8-F12 as minimum grades. I really think you will want full rims on all your coins when you are done. Morgans look pretty good even well worn...but once you don't have full rims it takes a lot away from the overall appearance. Again, that's my opinion only, but I hold it pretty firmly.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options

<< <i>Others in AU CIRCULATED that are very tough are the late O mints--like 98O, 02O, 03O, 04O-- Best values are still the 96S, 95S IMHO- >>

True enough but then again the 98-o, 02-o, 03-o and 04-o are readily available in higher ms grades at decent grades that there is little need for most collectors to settle for AU quality whereas with the79-cc 93-cc 95-s 96-s 93-o 94-o 95-o 96-o and 97-o just the opposite holds true.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always viewed the definitions of "key" and "semi-key" Morgans as varying according to whether you're talking about a high- or low-end circulated set, or a low- or high-end Mint State set. I know this may sound like splitting hairs to some people, but this is my 2¢ worth.

In low-end circ., the only keys in my opinion are the 1881-CC, 1885-CC and 1903-O, because they are so stupidly hard to locate in low circulated grades. The semi-keys are the other expensive coins in any circ. grade: 1889-CC, 1893-S and 1894-P... which I don't consider key coins because they are readily available.

In high-end circ. it's another matter. The 1893-S is the only key coin because it's so damn expensive. Semi-keys are 1879-CC, 1889-CC, 1893-CC, 1894-P, 1895-S and 1903-S... mainly as a function of price, although they are not overly hard to locate. Other semi-keys are 1881-CC, 1885-CC and 1903-O, which are actually tougher to locate, but easier to pay for.

In low-end Mint State the only two keys are 1892-S and 1893-S. The semi-keys are 1879-CC, 1884-S, 1889-CC, 1893-CC, 1894-P, 1895-O, 1895-S and 1903-S. Once again, this is more about price than availability.

In high-end Mint State (MS64 and up) there are a handful of key coins: 1884-S, 1889-CC, 1892-S, 1893-S, 1895-O, 1896-O, 1901-P. All of these are very expensive and seldom seen in these grades. Semi-keys would be 1879-CC, 1893-CC, 1894-P and 1897-O.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    In circulated condition I think all Morgan dates, key or otherwise, are readily available.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    1886-S, 1888-S and 1889-S are quite often overlooked as semi-keys. They all have mintages well below one million.
  • Options

<< <i>In putting together my VF Morgan album, the '85-CC was the impossible date. I posted here on the BST forum multiple times and never got one. I bid up to MS62 prices on a PCGS VF30 on EBAY and got outbid!. I finally won one in a Canadian auction in an ICG slab for about XF money. Since then I saw one other PCGS graded VF coin and I bought it from a dealer who only wanted Greysheet ask money.

There were a couple of other dates that were tricky to find in VF...but nothing equaled the '85-CC in my experience.

As far as semi-key dates for value purposes, I still like the '95-S in VF. It is the only grade that still sells lower than the '95-O, but is 10 times harder to find than a '95-O. >>

1885-CC, according to Bowers "Morgan Dollar" book, is the rarest Morgan in circulated grades. Rarer than even 1893-S. 65% of the '85-CC mintage was in the GSA hoard, so it makes sense. You found a rare coin, indeed.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>In putting together my VF Morgan album, the '85-CC was the impossible date. I posted here on the BST forum multiple times and never got one. I bid up to MS62 prices on a PCGS VF30 on EBAY and got outbid!. I finally won one in a Canadian auction in an ICG slab for about XF money. Since then I saw one other PCGS graded VF coin and I bought it from a dealer who only wanted Greysheet ask money. There were a couple of other dates that were tricky to find in VF...but nothing equaled the '85-CC in my experience. As far as semi-key dates for value purposes, I still like the '95-S in VF. It is the only grade that still sells lower than the '95-O, but is 10 times harder to find than a '95-O. >>

1885-CC, according to Bowers "Morgan Dollar" book, is the rarest Morgan in circulated grades. Rarer than even 1893-S. 65% of the '85-CC mintage was in the GSA hoard, so it makes sense. You found a rare coin, indeed. >>

Circulated GD04 1885-CC Morgan

peacockcoins

• Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    I'll be astonished if that 85CC in Good goes for less than MS63 money--if it were F-15, I bet it would bring even more!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Others not mentioned, 88s and 99.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be astonished if that 85CC in Good goes for less than MS63 money--if it were F-15, I bet it would bring even more!image >>

crazy...

• Options
    What is key or semi-key might also be related to how big your checkbook is and how picky you are. Considering that many of the nicest examples are locked away in collections and are unavailable, coins like the 94-o and 94-s aren't all that scarce in mint state but finding really nice ones is not easy.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be astonished if that 85CC in Good goes for less than MS63 money--if it were F-15, I bet it would bring even more!image >>

I may be in the minority, but while there may seemingly be few `85-ccs in circulated condition, the supply far outweighs the demand. The vast majority of collectors are looking to get the most coin they can for the money, not the least. No offense Pat, I understand, appreciate and respect your desire to be different. (Your JFK is still etched in my head from the few times you've posted images here. image)
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'd be tempted to bid on that circ '85-CC, but I need the money for a 1899-P. image Too many Morgans, too little money...hehe.
  • Options
    Thought I would just add another thought about rare. As a collector of pls and dmpls in high grade, (ie, extremely low populations), my idea of rare is shaped by the fact that most times I can't even find a coin, disregarding for a moment whether I like it or can afford it. In many instances I can't even find them.

By comparison, using the `85-cc as an example, there is one on ebay at this very moment, and Northern Nevada Coin has one in its inventory. I would not be surprised if some of the other dealers with Morgan inventories might have one as well, such as Heritage, Lawrence, Estes, L&C, etc.
    I brake for ear bars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file