Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New CBH.........1808, attribution discrepancy

cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked this up on eBay...........I liked the strike, considering the striking problems associated with this sub type
PCGS gaver her a grade of XF40

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OOhhh I really like that strike also. Bet she cost you a little more than 40 money with that look.
    Nice pick-up on a very nice year.
    Congrats.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    Nice coin! Have you attributed it yet?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coin! Have you attributed it yet? >>

Not yet.....................I will over the weekend
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Nice original color...I like itimage
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin for the grade.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Nice coin for the grade

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Great pick up. I am starting to like that series more and more.
  • Options
    holadudeholadude Posts: 316
    I just sent one of those in to NGC (Free grading) I'm hoping to get a G4 so I'll say yours is nice!
  • Options

<< <i>Have you attributed it yet? >>

I believe this one is an O-108, BUT....on the reverse, Overton states that the I is centered under the left side of T,
    and in the pic of the O-108 the I is centered under the right side of T. (This example is centered under right side of T)
    With the piece in hand, I can verify the star positions (except star 8), left base of 1 IS missing.
    The reverse, the arrowheads are close with the two lower ones joined, and there is a very small, weak dot above wing.

So all you CBHN's, is the I under the left side of T a missprint in Overtons book??
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that is a 108 also, and correctly attributed in Overton
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Have you attributed it yet? >>

I believe this one is an O-108, BUT....on the reverse, Overton states that the I is centered under the left side of T,
    and in the pic of the O-108 the I is centered under the right side of T. (This example is centered under right side of T)
    With the piece in hand, I can verify the star positions (except star 8), left base of 1 IS missing.
    The reverse, the arrowheads are close with the two lower ones joined, and there is a very small, weak dot above wing.

So all you CBHN's, is the I under the left side of T a missprint in Overtons book?? >>

Yes, there was a misprint in Overton three. It has been corrected to say under "Right" side of T.

Since the O-108 & O-109 share the same reverse, one must look at the star positions. I agree on the O-108. If the crack goes around the legend on the reverse, we have the rarier a-die state.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, there was a misprint in Overton three. It has been corrected to say under "Right" side of T. >>

Thanks mozin.
    I didn't think to look in my Parsley 4th edition, where I see it has been corrected.

<< <i>If the crack goes around the legend on the reverse, we have the rarier a-die state. >>

No crack around the legend...........
    I also noticed that Parsley (fourth edition) down graded the 108a to an R3, from the R4 in Overtons third printing??
  • Options

<< <i>I also noticed that Parsley (fourth edition) down graded the 108a to an R3, from the R4 in Overtons third printing?? >>

The later die state is still R4 no matter what the Parsley book says.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file