Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Six Morgans - 1899-O Micro o, 1921-P 3F Pitted, 1889-P Barwing, 1921-P IR, 1921-D 1AE, 1921-S Polish

Picked these up today. Most were in the "junk box". Need help confirming the VAMs.

1889-P "Barwing". Thought it was the 5A. Coxe and coinduece were nice enough to point out the 5A was replaced. Now I think it's a VAM 19B. There are three clashes and a partial N under Liberty's neck.

1899-O Micro o. Does it look like a VAM 6? That's my guess based on the near date. I know it's worn and has some scratches... but the price was right.

1921-D VAM 1AE with a break at the 2nd S in STATES and a die chip over the 2nd T.

1921-P VAM 3F Pitted Reverse. I like break the over R in AMERICA; also under M; it even has pitting in the denticles over STATES.

1921-P infrequently reeded. I thought it was the 27A based on what looks like some flakes over the 1st T in STATES. Having trouble getting a good picture. Stars are doubled and tripled. John (messydesk) mention the VAM 25. What else should I check?

1921-S with polishing lines on both sides to remove clash marks. Haven't had the time look at the updates.

1889-P barwing obverse
1889-P barwing reverse
1889-P barwing clash

1899-O micro o obverse
1899-O micro o reverse

1921-D 1AE photo1
1921-D 1AE photo2

1921-P 3F obverse
1921-P 3F reverse
1921-P 3F photo1
1921-P 3F photo2
1921-P 3F photo3
1921-P 3F photo4

1921-P wide reeded obverse
1921-P wide reeded reverse
1921-P wide reeded flakes

1921-S obverse
1921-S reverse
1921-S egde

Comments

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Picked these up today. Most were in the "junk box". Need help confirming the VAMs.

1889-P "Barwing". Thought it was the 5A. Coxe and coinduece were nice enough to point out the 5A was replaced. Now I think it's a VAM 19B. There are three clashes and a partial N under Liberty's neck. >>

I probably won't be able to look at your pics until the morning. Vam-19 is quite interesting. I picked up an 1889 in an auction not terribly long ago because it was impressively strongly clashed. I VAMmed it as VAM-19B. I have a couple 19As and this was was a hair's breadth from them. The triple clashes were developed just short of the full bar wing break. I think this is a major sleeper and may turn out to be rarer than the terminal state. I tried to impress this idea on Jeff Oxman a while back but I don't think I was coming across well. A good parallel is the 1811 B-1/C1 half cent. I have collected them by die state for many years. The terminal state is a remarkable break across the first four left stars to the rim. However, the intermediate staes, particularly a two star break are exceedingly rare by many orders of magnitude. The terminal states of big breaks are often the rarest but certainly not always. The scarfaces may turn out to yield interesting surprises in the future when we have a good handle on state populations. We are only starting to scratch the surfaces in these studies which should yield many years of fertile numismatic research.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Thanks John.

I was wondering if PCGS will slab the 89-P 19B as a Top 100 coin? The list I have only shows 19A and 22. I assumed they would because it's a later die state of the 19A... but I've made wrong assumptions before. I guess they could label my 19B as a 19A.

...and about the 21-P 3F. Why is there no mention of the intersecting die cracks and break over ER and the die chip under M? Maybe I'm looking too close.

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    The 19B is the earlier state and 19A the later state. PCGS will not attribute 19B, at least not now or soon.

Die cracks are useful in attributions but not generally part of VAM descriptions. I still haven't gotten to your pics.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    The cracks are not necessasarily used in the diagnostics of the 3F

Here are some pics of mine:

Here is the description from Mr. Allen:

3F(revised) IV 1 · D2a (Pitted Reverse, Die Gouge in Wing) (189) I-3 R-6

Obverse IV 1– Two different dies used, one with faintly doubled nose profile.

Reverse D2a– Pitted die around lower right wreath and AR in DOLLAR on some specimens. Heavy horizontal die gouge through bottom of eagle’s right wing. (Formerly VAM 3K.)

Nice R6 Cherry!!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file