Home Sports Talk
Options

The Problem With The NBA

BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
For about the past four years we've heard time and time again how the Pistons defined 'team basketball' in today's NBA. They were tough, they were gritty, and above all else they played to WIN. It wasn't about who scored the most, or who got their ego stroked by the coach. Instead it was simply about doing what you're paid to do-- and in the NBA you're paid to win championships.

Fast forward to 2006. If this is the best the NBA can do by way of a 'team' then the whole league is in trouble. I have followed the the NBA (with varying degrees of intensity) for the past 18 years, and I've never seen a team that performed this well in the regular season just completely drop out in the middle of the playoffs. The Spurs, to their credit, kept their chins up until the very end. They just got beat by what was probably a better team. The Pistons, by contrast, have just decided the effort isn't worth it. There's women to be courted, Thai Stick to be smoked, and the NBA playoffs have apparently gotten in the way of these vicious pursuits. The solution? Pack it in during the conference finals and call it a season.

Whenever you see an epic collapse like this you can be damn sure that everyone is going to have an excuse. And in this case the excuse appears to be that Flip Saunders couldn't coach a dog out of the rain with a steak. Whuh? Did I miss a memo, or is Flip not the guy who just guided this team to 64 regular season wins? And a 3-1 record against this same Miami Heat? This isn't the first time I've seen it, but it still baffles me whenver I see grown men with world class skill levels and 10 million dollar contracts insisting that the coach-- the frickin' coach!-- is the reason they can't get a hand in their opponent's shooting guard's face when he pulls up for a three, or why they can't hit an 8 foot floater in the lane, or why they can't shoot free throws better than a typical seventh grader. It's one thing to put forth a game effort and simply get beaten by a superior team; but it's quite another to pout, moan and complain your way to an early exit in the playoffs. I knew it was possible that the Pistons wouldn't make the finals this year; I just didn't think they would turn in to the Atlanta Hawks in the process.

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I wouldn't say that the Pistons epitomize the problem with the NBA, but you are dead on with your assessment about Flip. He coached them through 60+ wins, and now the players want to bad mouth him because they've packed it in?

This year's playoffs have been among the most exciting I can remember. Lots of close games, lots of OT games, lots of scoring. That boring ass eastern conference basketball, with 75-69 games are over, and shooters are flourishing.

I just hope the NBA doesn't screw it up.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I'm not a Pistons fan and don't have a rooting interest in the NBA playoffs, but it sickens me to see how much the outcome of games are affected by the refs. Dwayne Wade is a good player, but 19 times to the free throw line last night?

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm not a Pistons fan and don't have a rooting interest in the NBA playoffs, but it sickens me to see how much the outcome of games are affected by the refs. Dwayne Wade is a good player, but 19 times to the free throw line last night? >>

I think that's just how it's done, and how it's always been done. As a Pistons fan I went though the exact same thing when Jordan had the league wrapped around his pinky. Hell, if I were a Jazz fan I'd still be fuming over that obvious push-off on Eisley in game 6. We saw Lebron steamrolling guys and drawing blocking calls in the first two rounds, and now we're seeing Wade step to the line every time someone breathes on him. I think it sucks too, but if you're going to watch the NBA you have no choice but to accept it.

But like you said-- it's pitiful. The fact that even the announcers laugh about the preferential treatment the stars get from the refs-- and do so on air-- tells you all you need to know about the officiating. It's terrible, and if your team is one that isn't star driven you better hope to hell that your guys really pound the other guys for the first three quarters, because you know what's probably going to happen in the fourth if the game is tight.

Jordan was a great player-- I will not dispute that. But he doesn't get a whiff of six titles if he isn't playing with different rules than the five guys wearing the other uniforms.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I agree that this year's playoffs have piqued my interest a little more than usual, especially the Mavs-Spurs series...One of the best I've seen in a while. That being said, it's funny how you can tell the 'flavor of the month' with the NBA. In '00-'01 it was AI, for a few years it was Kobe-Shaq (did Portland collapse in Game 7 that first year or did the refs influence that game?), now it's Wade. I think the NBA hated it when Detroit and San Antonio were winning these titles.

I'm sure next year the NBA will be rooting for Miami (Wade) vs. Cleveland (LeBron) in the East finals...
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Getting back to the Pistons' issue(s). I think Saunders is one of those great regular season coaches who really has a hard time taking it to the next level, i.e., Bobby Cox, Marty Schottenheimer, etc. That being said, when you have some volatile guys on your team (R. Wallace), it doesn't take much for the pot (no pun intended!) to begin to stir in a bad way when things go bad...
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the point of view of this lukewarm "fan", "The Problem With The NBA" is the ungodly number of timeouts. The last five minutes of a hockey game or a football game can be the most exciting minutes in sports. Basketball? The last "five minutes" routinely last fifteen or twenty minutes and they bore me to tears. One full and one 20-second timeout per team per half ought to be plenty.

The other "Problem With The NBA" - intentional fouls. Basketball, alone among all athletic competition, rewards the team that breaks the rules. Not cheating and getting away with it - that can happen in any sport - but actually rewarding the team that is caught breaking the rules. A player is going in for an easy two points? Give him a shove. The penalty? That player now has to make two shots instead of one to get the same two points and you have stopped the clock. The solution? After the free throws, give the team that was fouled the ball back. Every time.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    I've been a Pistons fan for the last 20 years or so.
    I can't disagree with what's mostly been said.

I can only add that it's funny what a drastic turn events take when you lose two in a row.
    If they had managed to squeek one of those out, we would see things in a completely different light.

Now suddenly everything is going horrible.
    The Miami Heat are a very good team. Sure, it's not the regular season when things are about 1/2 as intense.
    They need to make more of their shots and shoot better free throws. That's really about all I see. To say they've completely given up is harsh, they did look tired after the games, but they always look like that.

• Options
    Well here's how I break it down. The Pistons the last 4-5 seasons have acquired certain position players that can fill the role they are known for, plus the Pistons had a defensive minded coach and also the Pistons continually had veteran bigmen who subbed into the system perfectly. Now with saying that, the Pistons do not have a guy who can consistly take over a game. Yes, if Billups gets hot he is a threat with his 3 point shot and his ability to run the floor(As in playcalling and seeing mismatches) but he again isn't a player that can simply dominate. Now by dominate I mean the team can rely on for 20+ a night. Someone that'll get the offense rolling. The game that convinced me was agains the Nets(Right before the Nets shutdown Phx during their late season hot streak). Now although I'm a lifer as a Net fan, JKidd seems to be well...Sometimes he just can't shoot and he's in the downslide of his prime due to age and his knees. He simply cannot do what he did on the Mavs or Suns. He's changed his game to continue to accomplish and succeed in the NBA. But still, I would've like to see him traded back in 02-03 for Parker(Young, talented, and most importantly drives to the hoop) but anyway. Billups was scoreless until about 6 minutes left. The Nets routed the Pistons in a game I was expecting the Bad Boys to do damage. But another problem lies in the depth. The Pistons have 1 small and 1 big man sub, both of whom can't carry a team(Although McDyess imo fits better into the Pistons system) while Hunter is going to be replaced this offseason IMO. The Pistons big men are polar opposites, one can't make an inside shot and another won't take an inside shot. IMO Sheed is an louder Toine Walker. I didn't like him in Portland and although he's toned it down vocally so has his game. For the life of me I can't figure out why one of the top PFs in the eastern conference doesn't go inside and bang. Rip Hamilton is one of my favorite players in the league, simply because of his hustle. How often has Rip "Vinced" it? I'm happier than a pig in s--t that the Nets got him so cheap but if he could only drive hard to the hoop more often. He's definetly reborn in Jersey and hopefully he'll stick around after his contract year. He'll enjoy success with New Jerz if he'll realize how good he has it. RJ in my opinion is the most underrated #3s in the game; and with a full season working with Vince I think they'll be succeeding off eachother more and more. I truely believe that RJ has Top 20 ability and with the right addition to the Nets(Who are only missing a rebounder and role players from being a top 5 team in the league) I hope NJ holds on to him.

The thing all "complete" teams need are roleplayers. Guys who have a shooting touch, big bodies that bang inside the paint and make the other big men work for rebounds and shots. A defense minded big man who can put it in around the basket and contest boards is critical. In the last decade their have been many complete teams, it's just not all of them were known. Philly in 00(or so) with Mutombo and AI were a very scary team(Had mutombo been younger, I think we'd be discussing a Phill dynasty honestly), the Lakers had a complete team during there run, and I believe the Orlando is only a piece away from being a possible long term contender. Just my .02.

BTW, NBA is my well third favorite major sport. I religiously watch Nets games and Lebron just amazes me(Along with a bevy of young up anc comers). But with all the Roids and controversy in the MLB I find it less interesting than ever. I'd much rather travel 2 hours back to my hometown and watch the Orioles farmteam. In fact minor league ball is more interesting and exciting to me(Picking prospects by seeing them play!? Talk about awesome) as well as the fact that these guys are playing for a shot, not a kings ransom. NFL(NY Giants) is by far my favorite sport and has been since about 97-98(The Roid thing has simmered on me that long, I didn't know for sure but hey come on it was right there in front of all of us). Although again if it's a Giants game(Or NFC East) I'm gonna pull up a chair.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    This season has produced the best NBA playoffs in quite some time (since the second Jordan run, at least). You are seeing the young stars emerge that will carry the league over the next decade (LeBron, Wade) and some great talents taking their game to the next level (Nash, Nowitzki). I have tried to catch every game, first time I could say that in several years.
  • Options
    CT-This has been by far the most exciting playoffs since well...as far back as my young self can remember. The league could really capotalize on the emergance of all these guys. Hopefully they have a marketing department that'll help this league out, there are not only enough stars but personalities to be a great next 15-18 years for league popularity/profit wise. Stern(although widely critized) is making some smart steps to improve the leagues image and expand the globalization of the game.

Anybody hear the blurb on Condi Rice and her meeting with the Commishs of the Pro Leagues? Very smart move to start regaining our status as a nation of influence rather than the head of a sphere of influence. I think this can greatly improve the worldwide view of regular Americans.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    People thinking that the reason the Pistons are getting their butts handed to them by the refs aren't watching the same games I am.

I am watching Wade (and the Heat in general) attacking the basket, going for the hoop, thus getting more fouls. The pistons are definitely settling for jump shots and not getting fouled.

And this baloney that Saunders is somehow to blame? Ridiculous. The players need to perform, they need to play better defense, they need to shoot better. Saunders isn't out there letting Miami shoot 52+% from the floor, and he certainly wasn't taking credit when the pistons won 64 games during the regular season.

Either the pistons need to play better, or they need to shut up. Blaming the coach for their failures is an outrage.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I missed the last few days, what or who said what to blame the coach ?
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    The season is too long and the playoffs seem to drag on forever.

Too many players with selfish and immature attitudes (especially the ones that come right from high
    school or leave college after a year or so).
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I am an NBA fan. This is far too over analyzed. I agree with Ctsoxfan. This has been a good ride to watch. There is no problem with the NBA....it's just changing it's dynamic. People who like Bball enjoy the ride.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>I missed the last few days, what or who said what to blame the coach ? >>

Some of the pistons' players are getting pissy, saying Flip didn't do enough practice on defense.

Now they're out, and I am sure Flip is going to take the brunt of it, but, really, they looked pathetic tonight. Flip can't make these guys rebound, make them hit their jumpers, make them play ball. The heat looked energized and hungry, like they were the ones down 3-2 instead of the other way around.

The Pistons are showing some mighty cracks...Ben Wallace wants big money, and I think you have a case of too many egos and not enough airtime on that team.

This year's playoffs have been a great run, lots of 6 and 7 game series, lots of evenly matched ball. Throw in the fact that a true guard like Nash has won MVP honors back to back speaks to how much the game has changed in the past few years.

• Options

<< <i>I am an NBA fan. This is far too over analyzed. I agree with Ctsoxfan. This has been a good ride to watch. There is no problem with the NBA....it's just changing it's dynamic. People who like Bball enjoy the ride. >>