Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Topps Greatest Moments set listed

The 7th ranked set is on the block. Pretty solid set, wish I had the funds to buy it to fill in and upgrade mine, but it's too steep for me. This should be a good barometer for the market on these cards. They seem to have softened lately, at least for the common ones I already have. The ones I need, they're still strong. I don't think ebay is the best venue for items like this, though. You want to have some lead time and an audience of dedicated, deep-pocketed buyers such as the ones mentioned in the auction. Comparing this set with the one from Mastronet isn't very favorable, though. That one had 6 9s and 10 8s. I've only ever seen one or two 9s on ebay, and 8s seem to be limited to the same half-dozen cards.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    That is such a sharp set produced by Topps. I really love those cards. The head shot coming out of the circle gives it a cool dimension. Wish the guy listing it on ebay had a scanner, or at least some better lighting when he took the pics.
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    This is my favorite set and sometimes I regret selling my set as most of the cards were high end PSA 8's. I think the seller of this set is clearly off base when he is comparing his set to the one that Mastro just sold for $12,800. The set on Ebay only has two PSA 8s (value of the two $500-600). It has two PSA 8(oc)s which are not that desirable. I think he has four PSA 7's in the set which are the easy commons( Bench is $400). Granted the set is complete which makes this an interesting item on Ebay. The set is worth no more than $3300. If the seller wanted to compare a set to his, he might look at the auction of SCP that sold for $3300. The big stars were graded PSA 5/6/7 with the rest of the cards at ex to exmt. Yes, a collector would have to spend $500 to grade it out, but it is going to grade out higher than the Ebay auction.

Steve- what is your take on this? You are the king of GMs now.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    It certainly is a feat in itself to complete the set, but I agree that the seller is waaaaay off when comparing it to the set that sold on Mastro.

If anyone happens to have a GM Munson they are looking to part with I would be very very interested !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    bri2327-
    I have been collecting this set for 13 years and have seen some very nice cards. The Munson is very, very difficult to find in a PSA 7 ($2100) and there has not been a PSA 8 graded. I have a PSA 8(oc) available if you want. I kept many of the difficult high grade star cards back when I sold my set back in January. If you are interested, you can contact me at shaneleo@aol.com. I believe I still have a PSA 6 available as well.

Shane
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I have a handful of these I just sent to PSA. 7's and 8's in my opinion. None of the stars though.
  • Options
    Gas-
    These cards are pretty difficult to get in a PSA 8 holder, so you have some nice money coming to you regardless of who it is. I have 13 cards in Mile High Card Co. auction as we speak. If you look at those cards, you will see how tough they grade this set. These were my best examples and hopefully someone interested in making the set will go after them. They are very nice.

Shane
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    does anyone have any uncut sheets ?
    Bob
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I have a picture of one. There was an employee who sold a bunch fo stuff he kept through the years at auction 3 or 4 years ago, including a pair of sheets. At least I think it was all from that one guy. This stuff is so tough, though, that an empty box sold by Topps Vault a few years ago went for something like $1300. I've never seen a wrapper or unopened material in any form. I wonder how they were distributed.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay