Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I can't seem to find much info on this mint product -

I have a 1997 3 coin "Reflections of Liberty" set in a very nice mahogany (?) case, holding a 1oz proof silver $1 Eagle, a proof $10 gold commem, and a $100 platinum proof commem. This set was put out to commemorate the Statue of Liberty, and I ordered it directly from the US Mint. I'm not positive, but I believe mintage was limited to 1,000.....my set is #777. (just lucky, I guess).

Anyway, the set does not appear on any price guides that I can find, I have not found it in the Redbook, it's not on PCGS's site....does anybody else have one of these sets, or have you seen one?

Thanks in advance!
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check eBay current and closed auctions to see if any have sold recently.
  • Options
    rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    I seem to recall that the Reflection set had a 1oz ($50) Gold Eagle, not a $10 Gold?
    -Ryan-
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    We've had a few of these sets come through here since I've been working at JMRC. I really like the set, it's a great display, and really neat if you want a 1oz proof Silver, Gold, and Platinum eagle. I also noted that they aren't in any price guide, so we end up just pricing them at whatever greysheet is for the coins together... image

Oh, and I believe it's actually "Impressions of Liberty" image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    golddustingolddustin Posts: 838 ✭✭
    Rayan & George - You are both correct - the gold coin is a $50 proof, and it is "Impressions", not Reflections, although either adjective would seem appropriate for coins!image
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for the link......geez - at that price, I may want to sell mine, too! I could take much better pics than that auction - the set is very attractive, and unless you've seen one, those images don't do it much justice. But, I see that the mintage is 5,000, not 1,000...still pretty scarce in original condition, I imagine.

Thanks Again! Chuck
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    That price is incredibly cheap. Figure the silver coin is worth about $13 melt, the gold coin about $640 and the platinum coin about $1275. So just on melt value alone you're talking nearly $2000
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these kinds of sets give a strange twist to the obsessive desire for originality in that the only real "limited" production is the case and COA material. i know there are quite a number of collectors who place an inordinate value on the stuff and i'd imagine there will be a continuing demand for it. it sort of harkens back to the older commem packaging and even the 1950-55 boxes for Proof Sets.

nice set, BTW.
  • Options
    Al - President Ron hisself brings up that point in his co-written book on US proof & mint sets - that quite often, the original mint packaging becomes more valuable than the contents. Collecting is a strange hobby!
    Check out the Superior auction coming up - they have an original case for the Pan-Pac commems and it is in very good condition (according to them) - I will be interested to see what it brings. They make sure the bidder knows that NO coins are included, but they do mention that you could fill it up from the coins offered in the auction,( if you've got an extra half million sitting around).image
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file