Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

help ID'ing coins...

Hello,

I am trying to ID these coins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coppery one is a billon (very debased silver) ancient Roman antoninianus of Emperor Gallienus (253-268 AD), victory type. With the off-centring on the reverse, there's not enough legend left to give a definite ID, but it's something like Sear#10392. CV in that condition, probably around $10 to $15.

The silver one's got me stumped. The style looks Roman Republic, but I've never seen a "head and shoulders" portrait like that on coins that early. My best guess is something in the Roman Provincial/Greek Imperial series.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Do you think I should try polishing the one that is aged? If so, what do you recommend?

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Why? It looks beautiful the way it is right now! image

Seriously, the general rule of "don't clean coins" extends to ancients as well. The exception here is when you find them yourself - most ancient coins need some sort of cleaning or preservation once they're dug up.

Both of those look fine as they are - cleaning them further will only make them look worse, in my opinion (and the opinion of the vast majority of ancients collectors).
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    the older one is a roman republic denarius, L. and C. Memmius L.f Galeria struck in 87 B.C... head of Saturn/Venus in biga cupid flying behind.
    That's why i love my old Alex Malloy auction catalogues!
  • Options
    P.S
    after taking a second look at your picture and the catalogue one, i think my previous ID is wrong... i looked some more, but can't find an exact match, though i'd say it's definitely Roman Republic
  • Options
    I was only recomending cleaning so you could make out the features on the coin.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I have a sweet find here.

http://www.virginia.edu/artmuseum/VirtualExhibitions/Coins/coins.html#tetricus