Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many coin projects or series are you working on right now?

And are there too many projects calling for your attention? Currently, I have 1878-1890 morgans, cameo franklins, proof sets, toned proof jeffersons, bust halves, and birth year world coins all clamoring for love.... image
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just two: Capped Bust Half Dimes and a Dansco 7070 (complete, but upgrades are nice)
  • Options
    OK, I've only been collecting again for awhile so don't laugh,

I'm working on silver state quarters (PCGS PR69 DCAM),

beginning to work on Peace dollars in 64 or greater,

mostly I'm collecting the modern commems (PCGS PR69 DCAM again). I have about half or two-thirds of the silver halves/dollars so far, and a few of the $5 gold.

I've also been helping my YN (9y/o) with a complete set of lincolns (how I started) and the state quarters in a mint album. Ironically, he's the one using his allowance to buy large cents from eBay!

What do you think, Mr. Bigglesworth?
  • Options
    ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    You mean that you can stand to only work on one project?

I am in everything.....old, new.....coins, currency........

My problem is that I can not just pick one. image
    Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    99.9% of my efforts go into Buffalo nickels. However, I pick up a Lincoln cent about once every other year.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one really: complete my set of Morgans.

I'll pick up some WLH or pre 1960 Jeffies when I see them.

Heck I'm open to picking up anything, but the majority (95%) of my efforts are concentrated on Morgans
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    I guess it would be 3. Morgans by date and mint with no special grade, bust halves by overton # in the vf-ish range, and any Morgan endroller that grabs me(seriously mulling over yours uofa1285)image All the rest are just impulse odds and ends.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Working on another Washington set, MS Kennedy varieties and errors, MS Ikes, and SMS coinage.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    rsdoug81rsdoug81 Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I like to focus my attention on half dollars. I'm considering a 'decade set' at the moment. I've been thinking of picking a nice half up from every decade since late 18th century. I also pick up some nice odds and ends every now and then. For example, my newest purchase should be arriving any day now courtesy of DLRC.

Linkage

I thought the damage was minimal for the excellent amount of details that remain. It's something that I couldn't own in a higher grade, and the price was excellent.
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    focusing on business strike frankies and slowly putting together a early silver comm. set, and then there is all the other coins i buy!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many and not enough, both at the same time.

Still working on my raw CAM/DCAM Proof Frankie Set. I have 14 coins, some CAM and some DCAM. I am in upgrade mode at this time and have been so since I finally picked up a 1950 CAM Frankie almost a year ago. It was great to complete the set; but the good feeling soon wore off, replaced with a nagging feeling of "If I can only find upgrade coins for _________ (pick a date(s)), I will finnaly be done and satisfied."
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My primary interests are Dahlonega and New Orleans No Motto gold, but I have also recently started a Dansco SLQ album.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Two, arguably three.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Proof indian cents, smattering of matte proof lincolns, ms indians, other copper. Major upgrade of my photo article.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Main ongoing projects in order of interest are US type set 1793 to 2000 in copper silver and gold, always looking for upgrades and saving for the tough types, draped bust halves by overton var, draped and lg sized capped quarters by browning var, toned Washingtons and Franklins and Roosevelts, Unc. peace dollars, circulated Indians, Lincolns, and Mercs, basic Canadian type set, and Spanish colonial silver type set.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Way too many,none r revealed to protect my ability to RIP !
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    Dollar type is my thing along with Philippine pesos and so-called dollars.

Have a cheap original 1794 dollar?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1- Raw, problem free Whitman classic type set (1793- current).

2- Problem free low grade PCGS early Commemoratives.

3- And, off and on, this small project. (I just picked this one up this morning: LINK It may not be what I think it is as the photos are a bit washed out, but I think it has a small chance.)

4- Also neat toned contemporary coins.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    I'm thinking of getting into Michigan civil war tokens. Looks like an interesting field, some of them are certainly not cheap
    if the price estimates I'm seeing in a few Ebay auctions are accurate. I have a few bids on some lower priced ones,
    we will see how it goes.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    too many image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I have a few passive projects that I rarely buy coins for. They are:

Dansco 7070 type set

Modern Commem Halves in a blank Dansco

1979 PCGS PR69DCAM proof set with varieties

1979 PCGS mint set in varying grades

1979 world silver coins raw

The only set I am currently actively working on is BU Jefferson Nickels in a Dansco. Nothing fancy, no full step coins but it will look great when complete.
  • Options
    Working on Proof Indian Cents...Proof Lincoln Cents....Proof Sets from 1909 to present...that's all.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many-i still need everything that i don't yet have.
    Two cent piece set-need 1873
    three cent nickel set-need 1878
    Circulation strike-Three cent silver set in XF-MS62 need a 1863 and an 1872 (Wow is this ever a tough set-i have been working on this set forever)
    Morgans-need about 42 more
    Liberty seated dimes-need 28 more but i have most of the tough ones (forget the 1871-1874-CC's)
    Date set of 1/2 cents-need 13 more.
    Seated Dollars-16 needed
    Trade dollars-6 needed
    i require all problem free coins with good eye appeal.

• Options
    I'm trying to concentrate on my buffalo registry variety set. But because I suffer from numismatic ADHD, I find myself picking up on nice Lincolns, Mercs and Walkers along the way!

YJ
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Let's see....I have 5 or 6 coins left to complete my Lincoln set, I'm always upgrading my Franklin set, I'm current on my State Quarters, I have to start getting serious about my 7070 and I'm thinking about starting a proof IHC set.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    I'm just wandering aimlessly right now, picking up whatever that strikes my fancy.
  • Options
    I'm new, so I'm gonna start softly. Sacs for now, and then SBA's. I have a good start on them, but I don't think I'll be able to get a hold of one of the Goodacher's. That may be tough to find.

Roger
    SafeCracker

My Indian Name is: Runs With Beer
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    I may be working on too many things at once. The sets I'm actively upgrading and/or completing (all in albums), in my order of money spent include: Barber Dimes, Dansco 7070 type wuith gold, Barber Halves, Walking Liberty Halves, Barber Quarters, and those odd early commemoratives which should never have been issued.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    This is an insanly tough question. I have the makings of 4 decent sets. Officially I am only working on one. I have half of a U.S. design type set, half of the Indian eagle date and mint set, All but one of the Proof ASE's, a bunch in PR70 and finally all but one of the Indian Half Eagles.

After some intense consideration over the last few months all collecting is on hold until I complete my half eagles in MS62 or higher.

This means 5-10 years in-between the coins that are left considering the intense price of the grade and thousands of more mind changes as collecting is ir-resistable and I need to feed the urge from time to time.

Oh and I just got my first commemoratives and may have gotten addicted to yet another series I do not collect. image
  • Options
    They start small and get way out of hand.

I am working on a complete set of Lincoln RPMS and DDO.
    Of course more than likly i expect this to never be complete. Still the knowledge
    and hunt that developes is what drives me.
    Also have been putting togather a gem roll set of lincolns 41 to present. Not original
    rolls but carefully selected gems.
    And perhaps the top 10 memorial set is reachable.
    Chris Clauson
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    Two - buying and selling
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    One - selling everything that is not on the current projects list.
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    No projects here..............I'm more of a hoarder then a projects kinda guy, whatever strikes my fancy gets tossed on the pile.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still the Morgans and not much else.
  • Options
    johnsim03johnsim03 Posts: 992 ✭✭
    I'm working on 2 - State Quarters P&D in raw Ch BU (this was easy to get up-to-date)
    and Dansco 7070 without Gold.

I expect the latter will take me several years - at least I hope so, as I am avoiding the
    temptation to fill holes quickly and am trying to get nice pieces...

John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it hard to pass on any series ( except anything Barber relatedimage ). I tend to get attracted to some series more than others, but I have a well balanced collection (I think). Right now I am going after bust halves, but that will pass in time ( I hope---it is getting really expensive)
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    1793 chain cents by variety (I lucked into the S-2, 3, and 4. I might as well try and get an S-1)
    1795 cents by die variety need S-73
    1796 Cap cents need S-85 and S-90
    Draped bust cents by variety need 1796 S-96, 1798 S-144, 1801 S-217 and 218, and 1803 S-264
    Date set of Large cent, need about five years all common. Toughest needed is 1857.
    Set of Nickel three cent pieces. Need 1884 and 1887
    Seated Half dimes Need 1846, 1865, 66, & 67
    "Genuine Trade Token" English Conder tokens have 500 different out of 656.
    Skidmore "Churches and Gates" Conder tokens have 41 of about 140 churches.
    And of course updates to the book.
    Need a 50 pound operation Bernard note to have a full denomination set

And a bunch of other interests.
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Connecticuts, "Colonial" type, and Carson City type.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically...I'm working on two. A "penny" collection and a Data/MM collection of Morgan Dollars. But I'm wanting my pennies to be all inclusive (dates) comprising 1793-2000 so... I've got a ways to go image

Oh....forgot about Buff Nickels that have been placed on hold in deference to the MOrgan set...L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file