Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Proofs SOLD OUT!!?

The US Mint website shows that ALL gold proof coins are "NOT AVAILABLE"! image

Comments

• Options
    Might be a bug in the system. I was looking up gold proof coins this afternoon and sure enough it displayed "product is not available" - but for 2005, not 2006.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It just means they are out of stock, not necessarily sold out. They are allowed to make more if they have not reached the limit for the year.
  • Options
    WOW! Gold at the Mint is definitely in demand! This will keep me on my toes!!!
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm they moved them to the discontinued list. image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Could they be increasing the prices on these coins?
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they were selling the proof halves for $385 and I figured at $700 gold, they were probably going to get run on but figured anything over $650 and they would be pressured...sweet.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe a group bought them all up earlier this week - I like the move considering the sets were selling so close to "melt" - I believe lots are available now at around $50/set over cost with min. order of 250 sets.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to get my 1/10 oz proof coin for my growing collection.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    According to the Mint webtsite, the 2006 gold coins are no longer available.

These coins must have sold out today since I went into the system last night and successfully ordered a 1 ounce gold coin. Everything was available last night but the continued rise in gold prices probably resulted in someone buying the remaining coins as noted by another member.

My order shows it in stock and reserved. Hope to see it soon.
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Due to the increasing market value of gold, the American Eagle Gold Proof Coins are temporarily unavailable while pricing for this option can be adjusted; therefore, no orders can be taken at this time. We expect products to be available with adjusted pricing on or after May 11, 2006.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    Looks like the Mint is becoming like many sellers on sleeze-bay! Every time precious metal prices rise....
    the sellers scurry to increase their fixed prices or "buy it now" prices. NOW....not only can kids learn about
    coin collecting at the US Mint....they can learn about greed too! This is becoming absurd! image

There goes the neighborhood!

• Options
    HonoluluDudeHonoluluDude Posts: 2,167
    It's only a matter of time before they pull the SAE proofs and do the same thing.
    The silver ascent is far from over.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, I totally called this a month ago! (I wondered on this board what would happen if gold kept rising; would they pull the program early or reprice)
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the Mint is becoming like many sellers on sleeze-bay! Every time precious metal prices rise....
    the sellers scurry to increase their fixed prices or "buy it now" prices. NOW....not only can kids learn about
    coin collecting at the US Mint....they can learn about greed too! This is becoming absurd! image

There goes the neighborhood! >>

Well, to be fair, what *can* they do? If gold hits $780, they can't keep selling one oz gold coins at $770. The production costs of proofs, plus the boxes, coas, etc, add to the overall cost as well.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557

<< <i>Due to the increasing market value of gold, the American Eagle Gold Proof Coins are temporarily unavailable while pricing for this option can be adjusted; therefore, no orders can be taken at this time. We expect products to be available with adjusted pricing on or after May 11, 2006. >>

This is what I had heard, and was kinda expecting b/c they have been so cheap relative to spot... usually they sell the proof stuff at 15% over Spot, if I remember correctly...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd bet it's just from the demand on the regular eagles. Why turn away the proof bizz? Because the regular ones bring in the dough and the demand is enormous right now. $30-$40 premium on just regulars from most wholesalers. The mint can't keep up. Eagles don't generate a 1099 on sale and people want them.

Probly cuz they want to do their OWN taxes. image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the mint is raising the price of an item based on the increasing price of the underlying commodity, despite the fact they (presumably) already owned the gold they made the proofs out of. If that commodity were oil this would be blatant price gouging and getting investigated by Congress. Glad I already bought one imageimageimage (and I don't even usually 'collect' liteside let alone proof gold!).

Cathy

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under what congressional law is this authorized ? I thought the mint was having a sale, not a hoard.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    This is great - maybe I can unload all my proof AGE's and get more PLATINUM!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file