Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

circulated silver as bullion

If I was to invest in silver by collecting junk or well circulated common date silver, then would it be wise to clean up the coins so they have no foreign material on them that might ruin the silver over time, or should I just leave the decent coins alone, for whatever numismatic value they have, and just clean up the bad condition ones?

Also do you guys have any idea how much silver is lost in a coin thats been in circulation for say about 50 years?

Comments

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    My WAG is that any circulation loss is negligible or at least within the tolerance of alloy melt extraction. Most of the coin is there, right? Would be interesting to know what the mean and standard deviation of the loss is for large samples for each decade of circulation. Should be a doable thing, however tedious. Rigging something up might even be fun.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it is not wise to clean the coins. It won't help in their resale, it could damage any collectibility they might have, and it will take your time and your money.

As to the metals loss: I've posted this pic before. One respondant (cladking, maybe?) said that most of the what appears to be metal loss is actually the flattening out of the raised rim. That may be true, but I am convinced that 1,000 AU-BU 1964 Kennedy halfs will have several ounces more silver in them than 1,000 G-F Walkers. With silver bumping up to $14 per ounce, that should be a consideration.

One stack of 20 G-VF walkers vs. the same number of AU-BU Kennedys:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    How about weighing the two stacks on a precision scale?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Weigh the stack of Walkers; divide by the number of them, and see how far off from 12.5 grams you are.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about weighing the two stacks on a precision scale? >>

Brilliant! Now if I only had a scale image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    FWIW most bullion dealer websites quote 715 troy ozs as the silver content of $1000 of circ US coins-they had 723 troy ounces of pure silver at minting.
    Don
  • Options

<< <i>FWIW most bullion dealer websites quote 715 troy ozs as the silver content of $1000 of circ US coins-they had 723 troy ounces of pure silver at minting.
    Don >>

OK. So they are claiming just a little over 1% silver loss. Interesting. Naturally, the real number would be dependent on the time in circulation.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Coxe,
    its remarkable, actually, that webpage after webpage lists that 715 oz figure. I seem to recall reading that a circ bag of halves weighs more than a mixed bag as halves on average circulated less. here's the certified mint page
    Don
  • Options
    Just for my own amusement, I tried the weight test a couple of weeks back. I weighed a roll of AG-G Mercury dimes against a roll of XF-AU silver Roosevelts. I repeated the experiment with all of the low grade SLQs I had vs. an equal number of AU Washingtons.

Admittedly, my scale wasn't exactly "precision", but the difference in both cases was in the 2%-3% range. Given the large number of later date (and therefore higher grade) coins likely to turn up in "junk" silver bags, the 1% figure mentioned above seems reasonable.
    My coins can beat up your coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file