Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I WAS INSPIRED... (Part Two, with pics.)

by last weekend's bank and half dollar roll story. When I read it I said to myself, "Self...why doesn't this ever happen to me?" I have been going through half rolls looking for uncirculated '82 and '83 P's and D's to fill the holes in my album. All the other halves have come from Mint and Proof Sets.

Anyhoo...I bought 5 rolls and noticed that one of the rolls seemed to be short a coin or two. I opened it in the bank, in front of the teller so that it would be seen that I didn't swipe any from the roll. I immediately saw silver and closed the roll, saying nothing. I sat down on the sidewalk around the corner and opened the roll again. Sure enough...it was 2 coins light, but...there were 5 '64 Kennedys and 4 40% halves. The other 4 rolls were all clad coins.

I went back into the bank and asked how many rolls they had left. They told me 9 rolls and I bought them promising to take them somewhere else to dump them. Second to the last roll...5 Kennedys, 1 Frankie and 9 40% halves.

By the way...I also found an '82-D and an '83-D in Unc.
J.C.

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image

Comments

• Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    Woo Hoo!! lol cool
  • Options

Sweet!!image
    Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

By the way...I also found an '82-D and an '83-D in Unc. >>

Cool. imageimage
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    Im curious as to why you felt guilty about finding silver, the bank could care less. You could have just said, hey, I missing a few and they give you another buck. Because you scrammed out the door like a guy with something to hide, you actually needed those silver coins to get back to even. Dont be afraid man...its only money....image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Suh-weet! image

I have found a lot of silver in the halves but never so much in so few rolls!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I went back to the bank last Monday to deposit some money and asked, just for the heck of it, if they had any more rolls of halves. The Vault Babe said, "Yes, over a hundred dollars face. I thought you brought them back here." I told her that I had promised not to dump them at that bank and had taken them elsewhere so that I wouldn't keep going through the same rolls. She brought out $260 in rolls and I took them all. Here are the results.

The left hand row is 90%. 16 in all including a circulated '64 Proof and a 1945-S Walker. The other 3 rows are made up of a total of 56 40% silver halves. A nice score.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice score!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

They getting melted?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

<< <i>Im curious as to why you felt guilty about finding silver, the bank could care less. You could have just said, hey, I missing a few and they give you another buck. Because you scrammed out the door like a guy with something to hide, you actually needed those silver coins to get back to even. Dont be afraid man...its only money.... >>

I'm curious to as to why you would assume that there was ANY guilt involved. I'm also curious as to why you paint the picture of someone "scramming out the door like a guy with something to hide." You have quite the imagination. It never occurred to you that seeing the silver was exciting enough to want to go check out all the other rolls?

<< <i>Nice score! >>

Thanks. I sold them today when silver was $13.50. It was $11.95 Monday when I found them.
    J.C.

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your find today!!

Where did you go to sell them?
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on your find today!!

Where did you go to sell them? >>

Thanks. I've been looking at rolls for years and never had a run like this before. Usually a 40% here and there, occasionally a 90%.

I take them to my local coin dealer and sell them as bullion.
    J.C.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    that's pretty impressive. I may harass my bank tomorrow morning and let my boy look thru them if they have any.
  • Options

<< <i>that's pretty impressive. I may harass my bank tomorrow morning and let my boy look thru them if they have any. >>

You never know what you'll find. The one tattered roll in the pic was an original BofA shotgun roll of unc. Bicentennial halves.
    J.C.

• Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    My bank rarely has fifty cent rolls and when they do they are crappy. We live in the same neighborhood, what bank do you go to?
  • Options

<< <i>My bank rarely has fifty cent rolls and when they do they are crappy. We live in the same neighborhood, what bank do you go to? >>

I hit 'em all, and like you, usually don't find much of anything. But...I keep hitting them anyway. You have to do it often, 'cause a lot of banks ship them off on a regular basis. I hadn't been roll searching for about 6 months until I read the success story here a couple of weeks ago. It inspired me.
    J.C.

• Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Thanks TWODOGS.
  • Options
    Well I sure am glad that I and others could inspire so many to find fortunes in their own Banks...........looks like one heck of a score.....so a big CONGRATS goes out to you image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file