Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New eBay BS - my listings ended for having 1/1 in title

I don't know how eBay expects someone to know what they consider misleading since they don't publish a list (at least I couldn't find one), but they went and yanked 3 of my auctions because the title had 1/1 in it, but they say you can only list a card as 1/1 if it's actually stamped 1/1. Had I put "1 of 1", I wonder if that it legal, as I see that all the time. I can't imagine someone would have reported this, it would be ridiculous if they did, but then again, why else would eBay come after it. And they were somewhat obscure items (Bazooka cards).

Geez... I like eBay, but I sure am not happy with them right now.

Comments

• Options
    This is just another case where ebay has no idea what they are doing. I saw your listings and they looked perfectly legit to me. PSA can never label any card 1/1 unless it's the only example that was made by that particular card company. I had one my cards pulled, too, because of the 1/1 listing, but relisted it this morning. A while back they were on keyword spree and removing listings as well.

Best,

Jim
    Vintage Baseball and Non Sports Collector
  • Options
    That is the dumbest reason to terminate a listing that i have ever seen !!! They let the omission of OC stay for these idiots that list PSA 9 cards that are off-center, and do not allow information that is meaningfull ! Someone stary up Xbay Auction House soon, please !!! Good competition will be the only hope !image
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    As a side note, I did a search on PSA 1/1 as well and BBExchange and cardmrchnt6ta4 currently have listings up with 1/1 in the title so I'll be curious to see if ebay does any enforcing with them.

Best,

Jim
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    your's getting pulled sounds silly to me but with the new easier way to report 'listing violations' at the bottom of every listing I think we'll see more and more listings pulled.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    All I know is this: If I'm running the business, unless the listing is clearly fraud and grossly misleading, the show must go on.

Why take the chance of upsetting a good seller? Not a very wise move, even with the listing fees refunded.

It's hard to make money when you remove listings. I'm probably not even going to relist those cards right away either... so eBay just cost themselves about $25 by time all was said and done. Not much on a small scale, but pull a couple hundred thousand listings like that for petty reasons, and you've just lost millions of revenue.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    theyre removing psa auctions with 1/1 in the title?.. wtf? i can understand keyword spamming, but not this..

if a card is the highest graded, and a 1/1, i always put "1/1" in the title..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    I also had an auction pulled for having 1/1 in the title. It was a day after a 71 Topps PSA 10 1/1 I was bidding on was pulled. This seems to be Feebays new "hot item" for pulling. They've also pulled my auctions for having "cash" as a form of payment. Must cut into their Paypal fees.

I sent them a nasty email mentioning how they have hundreds of scammers on their site ripping people off on a daily basis and just got back a generic response. Complaining to them is just pissing in the wind.

Sadly a monopoly such as Feebay can make up the rules as they go along.

All the best, Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    I gotta go through my store and fix every listing with cash being mentioned... they just yanked another one. Absolutely unbelievable.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ebay customer service, with a live person

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like ebay wants sellers to pay the extra $$ for the insert underneath the title. What is that an extra .50/.65? Another way for them to wring out more profit.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like legit sellers being punished by ebay, but I rather they error on the side of the buyer (protect the consumer and newbie card collectors). Without having the newbies experience a non-scam positive transaction, they will leave the hobby and that will cut into everyone's bottom line either directly or indirectly.

At least ebay was specific in telling you that the 1/1 must be stamped on the card. Saying a card is 1/1 just because its the only PSA9 in recorded history can be misleading--pop reports change every second. You can say that it is the only PSA graded so far in the title or sub title, that will be more accurate.

I have no idea of your specific violation as there was no link. But there must be extra sensitivity paid to new collectors. You would not believe how mislead they are until you try and collect something new. I am picking up coin collecting and there are so many things to know before buying a single coin that it is easy to make a mistake and some sellers feast off of that--sadly.

I personally have difficulty getting some sellers on listing violations. So, I am surprised that people on this board are getting harassed as you guys are the cream of the crop when it comes to selling on ebay.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    I also had two 1/1 listings pulled yesterday as well and they had multiple bids with many in the watch list.
    Im a powerseller with 100% feedback and Im not real pleased with feebay right now.
    Winpitcher-----THANKS for that number. I think I looked and called friends for two hours last nite trying to find a number to call.Im certainly gonna make a call. Punishing good honest sellers is ridulous.
    I also did a search on 1/1s on ebay and saw many other sellers with their cards not pulled.
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I had too had two 1/1s pulled yesterday with less than 24 hrs to go until end with several watchers. Frustrating.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options

<< <i>I also had two 1/1 listings pulled yesterday as well and they had multiple bids with many in the watch list.
    Im a powerseller with 100% feedback and Im not real pleased with feebay right now.
    Winpitcher-----THANKS for that number. I think I looked and called friends for two hours last nite trying to find a number to call.Im certainly gonna make a call. Punishing good honest sellers is ridulous.
    I also did a search on 1/1s on ebay and saw many other sellers with their cards not pulled. >>

Ebay's reading all 1/1 auctions? Somebody was probably reporting these auctions to ebay. Those cancelled auctions, did ebay return the insertion fees? From what I read (somewhere) feebay will start pocketing the insertion fees.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    snow,
    looks like ebay returned my fees for the cancelled auctions and I did talk to an ebay rep on the phone and explained what is going on. I was given another number to call tomorrow with somebody who might be able to look into this matter a bit further. Tthe thought of someone reporting the auctions crossed my mind as well but when I saw this thread and that it was happening to others I kinda let that thought go.

It gets a bit ridiculous with auctions like Scott Susors reminding you he has a three way tie for the 44th toughest 8 in the 19....whatever set with only 10 grading higher but that is his right and choice to descibe it that way. Most buyers have access to the same pop reports and also have a good idea of which cards are tough in the set they collect. It is my opinion that if you have a 1/1 Psa 10 or 9 ...then by all means you should be able to put that in your listing. The population reports are updated every Monday.
    Even if a seller made an error and said they had a 1/1 ...it is still up to the buyer to make the choice of what they are willing to pay if they need that said card. Just like buying the card and not the cert.

The bottom line is these auctions ebay pulled from members of this board were all legit and not fraud .
    Ebay should put their efforts into the fake Mantle Rc auctions and all the spoof emails from hackers...etc
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    When you talk to them on the phone, ask them this:

By their own definition, a 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc. couldn't be used either because it isn't 'stamped' on the card or slab.

If they're going to target 1/1's, then they must continue the quest and target all 1/ofanynumbers!!!!!!

How can they single out 1/1's and not any other combination?????!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Ebay customer service, with a live person

Steve >>

NOTE: This number has a funny little habit of changing every so often... can't let people catch on to where they can find REAL help image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    kcherevkakcherevka Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

If any of you were the seller of the 1981 Steelers Police Terry Bradshaw PSA 9 1/1 that got pulled, I would be interested. Please PM me.

Thanks,

Ken
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    It happened to me too.
    Last week I had the 1/1 on the title because it was the only SGC 98 graded.
    It was cancelled within the last 7 hours. I relisted it, and it ended less so it
    was a waste of time and money. I won't be doing that anymore.
    I see it all the time in the title, and it doesn't bother me. I don't report it.
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    I dont get into the 1 of 1 debate too often but I have to say that if you list something as 1/1 based solely on the fact that its the only example graded to acheive a particular grade, then the auction should be pulled.

While the card may truly be the only one with that grade at the start of the auction, 6 more may be added to the pop by day 3 of your auction. Is anyone really going back and changing their descriptions to now reflect 1 of 7??

1 of 1 should only be used on serial numbered cards issued and numbered by the manufacturer as 1 of 1, period. I can't think of any other use of 1 of 1 without it being equal to deception/fraud.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    It does seem silly to list a card 1 of 1 because it's the only PSA 10. Whenever I see a 1970 issue sell for obscene amounts (like the Eckersley this week) I'm always thinking, "Okay, there were probably 3 million of these made, does the buyer really think this is a 1 of 1 or 1 of 2?" It certainly won't be for long.

But that doesn't irk me as much as sellers trying to sell a Roger Clemens jersey card numbered 22 out of 500 as a "True 1 of 1" because #22 is his jersey number. That's the worst.

shawn
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1 of 1 should only be used on serial numbered cards issued and numbered by the manufacturer as 1 of 1, >>

so it is ok for the manufacturer to put 1/1 and create rarity, typical modern card collector response right here . a psa card that is the only one at that grade is what it is 1/1 . the manufacturer stamps 1/1 , tweaks 1 border stamps another 1/1 , now you have 2 1/1's of the same crap. ebay is out of line, 1/1,1/2 etc is the only way for the seller to point out hte difficulty in that grade without wasting money on a subtitle to get more space. don't kid yourself , this is fee driven and protecting consumers is the last thing ebay is thinking about
  • Options
    Exactly what packcollector says.
  • Options

<< <i>but I have to say that if you list something as 1/1 based solely on the fact that its the only example graded to acheive a particular grade, then the auction should be pulled. >>

wrong..

do you sell cards?..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I agree with Packcollector. He's on the mark.

Best,

Jim
  • Options
    1/1 and 1/2 and such have long been an accepted standard associated with PSA graded cards. eBay is simply ignorant in this instance, as it is known to any vintage collectors that the practice of stamping 1/1 serial numbers into cards to create a rarity never happened until just recently. In fact, if eBay would have taken the time to actually do some research before they jumped, they would have found that there are never more than 1 or 2 cards in PSA holders on eBay at one time that are actually manufacture stamped as 1/1. On top of that, a general eBay search for "1/1" yields 17,442 results. Even narrowing the search to "1/1 cards" still produced 241 results which included SanDisk memory cards along with an assortment of computer accessories. And searching for "1/1 auto" brings up 417 results including handguns, uzi's and other assorted air weaponry as well as some photography equipment.

So, it was clearly a helpful thing that they cracked down on "PSA 1/1" in a title, which was actually a legitimate search that would return 40-50 results, all of which were pretty clearly within the confines of the search - and no guns or computer parts.

Pure stupidity, and I own a lot of stock in them too.

I think PSA has some sort of working relation with eBay and the sports cards listings, I'd be suprised if they don't have anything to say, as 1/1's and other low pop. cards are a huge drive for their business and without the ability to advertise as such, it definitely can take some of the appeal out of an auction.

• Options
    also, does ebay have some so-called "sports card expert" reviewing these listings that they cancel? if not, then how the hell do they know that the cards AREN'T stamped on the back?

i could put a 1961 psa 9 common on ebay, as a 1/1, and does ebay have an "expert" that automatically knows that cards werent being stamped in 1961? (i know, i know, it doesnt take an expert to know that, but does ebay put ANY research into it before they cancel the listings?)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    packCollector - to answer your question "so it is ok for the manufacturer to put 1/1 and create rarity?" yes, its their card that they manufactured. They have every right to number it as they see fit. Rarity is the reason cards have serial numbers, to show that there is a limited amount of each one.

and to pandrews - once in a while, I do sell cards. I would never list a card as 1/1 solely based on the grade of the slab. Sellers who do that do so with the intention of deceiving the uninformed into believing that they are getting a one of a kind item. That's like selling a red Porshe and saying its the only one ever painted red. Very easy for a black Porshe owner to drive to the body shop for a paint job. To list a card as 1/1 based on the grade of the slab is tantamount to fraud. If you listed the auction as "only one to be graded a PSA 10 as of this writing" or "only PSA 10 in the pop report", that would give a clearer picture and would not be deceptive.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To list a card as 1/1 based on the grade of the slab is tantamount to fraud. If you listed the auction as "only one to be graded a PSA 10 as of this writing" or "only PSA 10 in the pop report", that would give a clearer picture and would not be deceptive. >>

I whole-heartedly disagree with you. Vintage card collectors [particularly, since populations are less likely to change] use this convention all the time on Ebay. There isn't enough space in an Ebay listing to put "only one to be graded a PSA 10 as of this writing", and if a seller simply has "1/1" in the title, the vast majority of vintage bidders understand that to mean a population 1 card. Same goes for PSA 8s and 9s.

Listen - Ebay can say whatever the heck they want. But standard collecting practice and convention, as used on Ebay over the last five-ten years, basically stipulates that you can use 1/8 or whatever to describe a low population card in the title. It is not deceptive to the people bidding on these auctions.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>Sellers who do that do so with the intention of deceiving the uninformed into believing that they are getting a one of a kind item. That's like selling a red Porshe and saying its the only one ever painted red. Very easy for a black Porshe owner to drive to the body shop for a paint job. To list a card as 1/1 based on the grade of the slab is tantamount to fraud. >>

you're very wrong again..

i'd almost be willing to bet that you've sold SGC cards with PSA spammed in the title, too..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I followed up with another call to ebay and they listened to me but I get the feeling they could give a rats A@@. I asked to speak to someone in charge of sports collectibles but was told to just email ebays suggestion dept. I do think if enough of us collectors call it might make a difference.Ill post the number tomorrow.
    I also got the feeling that someone is complaining about the auctions and that is how they are being canceled. I dont think it is a random computer thing.
  • Options
    I just did a search on ebay and found 256 items with PSA 1/1...

Why is ebay worrying about 1/1 when they should be taking care of sellers like this jerk...

He has the word PSA in all of his listings (19), and not one card is a PSA card.

Check Out This Guy's Listings.

ebay, leave Honest Sellers alone.

Mary
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Listing 1/1 in the title to denote a card that is the only one to receive such grade is just one of the hobby's conventions. Whether you like it or not isn't really relevant, since that's just the way it's done. And it's certainly not keyword spamming. Listing PSA in the title when the card is graded by SGC, or quoting SMR in the title when the card's in a GAI slab, is keyword spamming, since the keyword in question has nothing to do with the product being sold and is only included for the purpose of attracting potential buyers who otherwise wouldn't be interested. When you're selling the only card graded a PSA 10 you're not trying to lure in people who otherwise wouldn't be interested; instead your pointing out to potential buyers (mostly registry participants) that no other specimens to date have received this grade.

Also, the argument that 'more cards could get that grade this week' sounds a little ad hoc. I think most hobbyists would agree that using 1/1 is acceptable so long as the card was 1/1 at the time the auction went up.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I dont get into the 1 of 1 debate too often but I have to say that if you list something as 1/1 based solely on the fact that its the only example graded to acheive a particular grade, then the auction should be pulled.

While the card may truly be the only one with that grade at the start of the auction, 6 more may be added to the pop by day 3 of your auction. Is anyone really going back and changing their descriptions to now reflect 1 of 7??

1 of 1 should only be used on serial numbered cards issued and numbered by the manufacturer as 1 of 1, period. I can't think of any other use of 1 of 1 without it being equal to deception/fraud. >>

Uh, no-- if you say 1/1, and then go on (as almost everyone does) to say that this is the only card to earn said grade, there's not a lick of deception or fraud involved.

I know common sense isn't really in vogue, but come on now-- If you've got an 86 Topps Nolan Ryan in PSA 10 up on the block and list it as a 1/1 I don't think a single person with even a passing interest in sportscards is going to think that was the only 1986 Topps Ryan that was ever printed.
  • Options
    pandrews- I hate to break your bubble, but if I was selling an SGC graded card, I wouldn't lower the dignity of the auction by spamming PSA in the title. My 100% feedback is 100% for a reason. An honest description and solid product. No deceptive practices here.

and to those of you who see nothing wrong with using 1/1 in your auctions to describe the grade, so be it. Its your choice to do that and whether its an accepted hobby practice now or not, I won't be bidding. Best of luck.
  • Options

<< <i>They've also pulled my auctions for having "cash" as a form of payment. Must cut into their Paypal fees. >>

A couple of you mentioned something similar to the above. Are you saying that if you list anywhere in your description that you accept cash as one of your payment forms that Ebay will pull the auction? I always list "Paypal, cash, money order or personal check."

• Options

<< <i>and to those of you who see nothing wrong with using 1/1 in your auctions to describe the grade, so be it. Its your choice to do that and whether its an accepted hobby practice now or not, I won't be bidding. Best of luck. >>

·p_A·
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>and to those of you who see nothing wrong with using 1/1 in your auctions to describe the grade, so be it. Its your choice to do that and whether its an accepted hobby practice now or not, I won't be bidding. Best of luck. >>

image >>

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    pandrews - I'm so glad that I have amused you....or is it that you couldn't come up with a witty response and were compelled to use that silly icon?
  • Options

<< <i>pandrews - I'm so glad that I have amused you....or is it that you couldn't come up with a witty response and were compelled to use that silly icon? >>

HEY! I'm the one that used that silly icon!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>pandrews - I'm so glad that I have amused you....or is it that you couldn't come up with a witty response and were compelled to use that silly icon? >>

no, my response would be that i dont give a flying rats ass if you'll "be bidding" or not..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    rest easy pandrews, you will never have to worry about me buying a PSA graded card from you.
  • Options

<< <i>rest easy pandrews, you will never have to worry about me buying a PSA graded card from you. >>

or possibly you already have, and don't know it.. image

i noticed you're even policing the "metal detecting" forum now.. LINK..

how much somebody wanna bet southerncards is the idiot that reported yall's 1/1 auctions?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Oh it crossed my mind after I read his first post.
    Maybe he can answer that question for us if he has a pair.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh it crossed my mind after I read his first post.
    Maybe he can answer that question for us if he has a pair. >>

Unlikely
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I am with you pandrews....If I had a flying rats ass I would not give it up either....might be valuable
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>I am with you pandrews....If I had a flying rats ass I would not give it up either....might be valuable >>

·p_A·
  • Options
    haha, you kill me with your notions of me bringing your auctions down. First off, I rarely, if ever buy cards on ebay. I did not have anything to do with reporting those auctions mentioned. I did however kidnap the Lindburgh baby and then there was that day spent on a lovely grassy knoll in Dallas....

as far as "policing" the MD forum, again, much laughter here. Any upstanding citizen should be offended by the proliferation of drug references on a website often frequented by juveniles. Your mockery of my comments leads me to conclude the reality of which side of the bong you stand on.