Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Topps Football live rip!

Comments

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    i'm always up for scans. never opened an '85 football box.

Is there a rookie in the set, or are we hoping for PSA 10 second years of Elway and Marino??

shawn
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Warren Moon RC?
  • Options
    Warren Moon is the "big" rookie but I'm just loking for nice cards. This is my first go at a black border set.
  • Options
    Pack one - slight edge damage but a nice Montana. I'll post scans after I bust a few packs.
  • Options
    How much did it set you back for a box of 85 fb?
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Let's see a sharp Warren Moon rookie thenimage
  • Options
    don't know about you guys but I'd be on pack 10 by now!
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Shambo ! Speaking from experience those are some tough cards, Hope you get a nice Marino and Elway ! Now on with the Rip !

• Options
    Sorry all, the wife came home with a load of groceries for me to unload. Bad timing!
  • Options
    Pack two was rough. A Marino/Montana passing leaders had a nick on the left edge.
  • Options
    $125 for the box from BBCE.

More to come!
  • Options
    Packs 3 and 5 had squat. Pack 4 had a nice Payton team leaders card.

These cards are tough! I've pulled several PSA 7/8 quality but that's about it.

On to more packs...
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I hope you pull a couple of PSA 9/10 quality Walter Payton cards in there! That's the big card...unless you pull a PSA 10 Moon rookie. Good luck!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Pack 6 had a nice Kellen Winslow and 1984 NFC Championship card.
  • Options
    Pack 7 had a decent looking Howie Long.

Scans coming soon... maybe I can get some expert opinions.
  • Options
    Pack 8 had a nice Dan Hampton and Russ Grimm.
  • Options
    Packs 9 through 12 only yielded a nice Marcus Allen and an off center Payton.

More scans coming.
  • Options
    More scans... A little smaller this time.

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    The Kellen Winslow appears to have a shot at a 9 ... the others an 8. If there is any white showing on one or more corners - then the best possible grade is an 8. The black borders hide surface wrinkles/edge creases very well. That's what many people miss - especially on the Moon and Montana.

As a modern issue, this set is very underrated. The open (1) wax box test usually convinces people how tough this set truly is? In the last 6-8 months, wax boxes have increased from $80-85 to $120-125 and they yield little high-end cards. Rack pack boxes have jumped $100-125 each.
  • Options
    Just purchased the last 1985 topps football rack box from dave and adams.
  • Options
    I've now opened 16 of the packs and pulled another Montana/Marino passing leaders that is submittable. Also pack 15 had a decent looking Henry Ellerd. Not real thrilled with the cards so far. The black borders are definately tough! I've got 20 packs left and trying to decide if I want to rip or sell them and move on to something else. Anybody want 20 packs?
  • Options
    Tough bordered, colored cards like the 85 football are always hard to pull in pristine condition from wax, Racks will usually yield most of the high end cards. Wax will usually have some very good white bordered card pulls though. I have always found from my personal experience that wax boxes tend to have a lot of chipping along the borders, and for cards like the 85 topps football that can be disasterous. That being said it looks like you got some nice looking cards there, looking forward for more box breaks in the future. Thanks for taking the time to share with us, I live for box breaks !

• Options
    Very good idea on the live pack opening thread. I just busted a few boxes of some other cards and wish I would have done the same kind of thread. Anyway, stick with the collecting of the 1985 set.

At least give a few rack packs a test.

-Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in a PSA 9 '85 Ellard.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    You motivated me to open a box of '85 Topps football that has been sitting around for a couple of months. I got my wax box from bbcexchange. Overall I was pleased. Black borders weren't as tough as I feared. However, back card ruined by gum in every pack and often the 2nd card also. Bummer. My wife was sick last night so went to bed early, my kids were watching TV, so the night was set up for a box break. I never post scans but thought I would throw some in... but I got nothing great enough to warrant me scanning. At least not in the high level stars. I got 2 Moon's (one maybe a 9), 1 Payton (8?), 2 Marino's (8/9), etc.... Probably some 10s in the commons or semi-stars but I am not interested in investing the time or money, especially on such a tough set, to try to make a few bucks. It was fun. Sorry I don't have any scans to add. I actually might buy another box as I find that to be an attractive set.
  • Options
    I finished ripping the box. No Marino's or Elway's! Two Moon rookies both o/c - t/b. Two Payton's (one submittable). Two Richard Dent rookies. One Henry Ellard. One Montana. Two Montana team leaders. Three Montana/Marino passing leaders. Two Bronco's team leaders (Elway). Three Bears team leaders (Payton). I have six John Riggins if anybody needs one.

Overall I'm not very happy with the coalation. I'm no where near a complete set. Anyway, I will send in several to be graded. I have a feeling I will get a lot of 8's.

If anyone needs cards for their raw set, send a PM.

I've got a couple of racks on the way, hopefully the cards will look better.

Shambo
  • Options
    I've got a couple of racks on the way, hopefully the cards will look better.

I think you will like the condition of the cards from the rack a lot better, Good luck with them and please post scans when they arrive !

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    sham, you getting the racks from BBCE?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    LD - I won a couple on eBay as well as a couple of '78 wax packs.
  • Options
    one of the problems i've ran across on the 85s is fading. the last 2 boxes i've purchased from BBCE have been that way. collation was about the same as what shamboo experienced.

was someone interested in a moon psa 9? if so, i have one for $45 DLVD. i can send cert or scan if interested.

i'm thinking of putting the set together in psa 8 and selling my 9s and rare 10s..i have several dupes in 8s and a few 9s.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    LD,

... and selling my 9s and rare 10s ...

- ldferg

image ... what can we do to persuade you?! With the prices you've gotten recently?!

Just kidding - you won't have a problem selling them. You'll have to hurry though, Jeremy should have a large '85 submission coming soon ... ?

1985 Topps Football 3 Box Factory Sealed Rack Case
  • Options
    six,
    i was looking at that rack case...just couldn't bring myself to $400 per rack box but it could pay off in the end. i'd like to be on the ripping end of those. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Ldferg,

Do you have an Ellard or Carl Banks 9?

Shag
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    no ellard, i looked for you last night. i'll check on the banks. i think my banks is an 8.

will let you know.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    The Carl Banks RC has a population (2) PSA 9 and (7) PSA 8.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Is the pop of checklists in 9 or 10 still zero?
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    The #395 CL has one 9, no 10's. The other two CL's have no 9's or 10's between them! Wow. Are the CL's that tough?
  • Options
    The #394 Checklist is the toughest of the three. There are also a few teams that are more difficult than others such as the Packers and Vikings. I'd like to inspect a few uncut sheets and see the placement on these low population singles.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>The #395 CL has one 9, no 10's. The other two CL's have no 9's or 10's between them! Wow. Are the CL's that tough? >>

I have to think that something is up with them, as checklists, while some are marked on, really shouldn't be that difficult to pull.

• Options
    Of all the '85 Topps football cards that I've opened, the checklists are consistently the worst conditioned - right behind the record breakers. Most average a PSA 7, and I'll get the occasional PSA 8 caliber card ... but then it's poorly centered.
  • Options
    i'll ditto the record breakers...

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I just went through my set maybe 60 nm mt and maybe 3 mint cards the rest are nm. Both my checklist have 3 needle sharp corners and perfect centering but the bottom left corner is dinged. Many of the cards have the same ding on the left corner(counting Banks,Munchek,Ellard,Fryer,Dent) so I am guessing it was the way it was stored? I thought 84's were just gross but man these things are tough. I do have an 81,82 and 83 set I am gonna look through later. All the big cards have been pulled and sold long ago.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658