Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Selling strategy: staggering coins for sale vs. all-at-once

RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have noticed that big dealers like Legend and Stman image (along with several others) list available coins for sale in stages, rather than all at once. I suspect that other dealers hold back coins ("warehouse them") from time to time. As someone who is prone to the impulsive coin purchase image , this strategy often stops me in my tracks. What if there is a coin in the next wave of listings that I like better? Of course, this is silly, because there is always a "next wave", be it another seller's listings, ebay, auction, the BST, or a phone call from your favorite dealer. I guess what I am trying to say is that I probably am more prone to making a buying decision when I know of all of the possible opportunities at a given point in time. When I sense that there are coins being held back, and realistically there always are, it gives me pause. Anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• Options
    Yes--I do too. Heritage seems to try to pre-list their upcoming auction coins, to solve this. I'd guess Legend and other smaller dealers are just working to get good images up all at the same time, so you look at everything--
    morgannut2
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin shows up: I buy it. Can't think about what may happen later.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Recently, I "made" (5) 1981-S Ty2 SBA's in NGC 69UCAM........ I trickled them out one per week........ they finished (Ebay) at 267, 220, 227, 240, 212.............. An average of $233 per coin....... I really doubt that had I listed all 5 at the same time I would have averaged the same....... Especially on "widgets" & "modern crap" image
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is much like the automobile industry. When you need a car, you tend to buy one as soon as possible and almost always a better deal comes along afterward, or one of your friends says " Oh, if I knew you were looking for a car like that I could have saved you a thousand dollars". Some friends, huh ?

On the seller's side,.... it is the opposite. You sell one at a profit and weeks later you think to yourself: "Geeeze, I could have made another thousand if I would have just waited ".
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, since I'm a "big dealer" I honestly don't have an answer for you. And it would depend on what "Is" Is. Heh
    I sell once in a while when the mood, or situation warrants it. No strategy here. I say it like it is. " I may add more later."
    Which means just that. And, as time allows. Please don't get me started on all the time this involves..... let alone the cost of tape, electricity to run my PC, a snack on the way to the PO etc. Anyways...... I "Might" add more to my BST ad later L@@K!!!! And I might not. Do you care? Probably not.

Do I care? L NO.image And right now "I'M TIRED"!!!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, since I'm a "big dealer" I honestly don't have an answer for you. And it would depend on what "Is" Is.

Obviously, I was being facetious. I recognize that you are not a dealer, but selling strategy is just as important to the collector or small seller as it is to the big dealer. One advantage to rolling out purchases over time is that you keep people coming back to look. Perhaps if they see your first listing enough, the coin might grow on them (in a good way), and they may end up buying it. Perhaps this sets you up for a buying frenzy. Who knows?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    i think that iff you have several of the same coins as LTC mentioned, spreading them out may help keep sales prices higher. As a buyer I don't care too much.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I like testing the waters before tossing more coins out for sale. In fact, I've got one up for sale on eBay right now with really no intentions of selling the coin as the reserve is where a buyer has to commit that they think the coin is an upgrade candidate. This is not the best coin of the group I am considering selling, so it will give me a gauge as to what the market is. If it doesn't sell(which again I don't think will happen) then I'll send it in myself to PCGS for a regrade and I'll pass on going any further. It's worth the $22 listing fee just to see what happens.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file