Home U.S. Coin Forum

For those of you who like to take a risk (and aren't poor like me), a coin listed on Heritage.

RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
PCGS MS66DCAM 1967 SMS Kennedy.

I've been watching this one and was planning to bid if it stayed cheap, but it's now out of range for me. Of course, you can't tell diddly from Heritage's crappy image, but the two preceding cert numbers are both Birthmark Dies. Here's one of them:

Logic would dictate that the one in the Heritage auction is also a Birthmark Die. So, if one were looking for an example it might be worth the risk.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your right about the picture it doesn't even look like a Cameo.
  • golddustingolddustin Posts: 838 ✭✭
    Russ - Clue in the ignorant (me!) image What do you mean by birthmark die? In all the years of reading here, I haven't seen that expression before.
    THANKS!
    Chuck
    ps - L-Dad - even tho Heritage is not known for it's outstanding imaging prowess, c'mon, you can tell that the coin is cameo.
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Wow looks like that one is going for a record with time to spare.

<< <i>Russ - Clue in the ignorant (me!) image What do you mean by birthmark die? In all the years of reading here, I haven't seen that expression before.
    THANKS!
    Chuck
    ps - L-Dad - even tho Heritage is not known for it's outstanding imaging prowess, c'mon, you can tell that the coin is cameo. >>

Look at the shiny spot in the hair of the pic that Russ provided. I beleive that is the birth mark. There was a die that caused that same mark for many on this issue.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow looks like that one is going for a record with time to spare. >>

Not any kind of record yet. Currently it's right about at market value for a non Birthmark Die example.

golddustin,

BECOKA is correct.

Russ, NCNE
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Dang, those images are worthless.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Russ, with you taking the photos, Heritage could double the bids on many coins up for auction.
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage

<< <i>Russ, with you taking the photos, Heritage could double the bids on many coins up for auction. >>

Strangely, their crappy images don't seem to matter. They get strong money anyway. I guess it's because they have such a large built-in audience.

Russ, NCNE
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow looks like that one is going for a record with time to spare. >>

A record for the worst images ever? A total waste of electrons? And this, from so-called professionals.
  • Russ... why do you think the cert #'s are ALL birthmark coins... that would mean that you think the eitire submission was a original roll? image
  • What a horrid picture!!

Why do folks continue to consign to them in droves, like lemmings?

<< <i>Russ... why do you think the cert #'s are ALL birthmark coins... >>

There were only three 1967 SMS Kennedys on the submission. The other two are Birthmark Dies and are also graded DCAM like this one. Logically, it makes sense that the submitter located them at the same time from the same source. But, like I said, there's a risk that this one isn't.

<< <i>that would mean that you think the eitire submission was a original roll? >>

They didn't come in rolls, only in sets.

Russ, NCNE
  • lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    Mr. Russ Kennedy:

I think that birthmark would at least show a smidgen of existing, even with darkening the image on Heritage's sight. I see no possibility it is a birthmark half...
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• DRGDRG Posts: 817
    lloydmincy; You would think that it would show some sign, but I doesn't have to. Russ can probably find an image of the 67DCAM that I bought from Heritage last year. It showed NO EVIDENCE in the photo of what is obvious to the naked eye, it was a birthmark variety.......

I just realized, the coin I own is the one Russ put at the beggining of this thread....Great looking coin!

Russ, do you have a copy of Heritage's pi$$ poor image?
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN

<< <i>lloydmincy; You would think that it would show some sign, but I doesn't have to. Russ can probably find an image of the 67DCAM that I bought from Heritage last year. It showed NO EVIDENCE in the photo of what is obvious to the naked eye, it was a birthmark variety.......

I just realized, the coin I own is the one Russ put at the beggining of this thread....Great looking coin!

Russ, do you have a copy of Heritage's pi$$ poor image? >>

Russ, NCNE
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭
    Come on Russ $280 is outta your league? My foot, your just cheap! imageimage

TC71

$322 with buyers premium.
  • DRGDRG Posts: 817
    I have to thank Heritage. They saved me some money on this coin.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file