Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

May 2006 SMR Article: 1971 Topps Baseball

Just was reading the article in the May issue of SMR. I know that '70s baseball sometimes get slagged on here, but this set appears to be bucking the trend a little. Did anyone else read the article? What do you think ? Is this set worth investing in?

Comments

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I like the look of the 1971 set, but submitting them is a giant crap shoot. I would guess that they have the highest rejection rate (mostly for recoloring) of any 1970's issue, and PSA is generally tough on the grading as the edge and corner wear is easy to see.
  • Options
    augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    For a buyer or seller????? Check this current
    eBay listing.image

1971 PSA 8 #536 Claude Raymond
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    Yeah, a PSA 8 Raymond card sold for $966.56 earlier this year.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, a PSA 8 Raymond card sold for $966.56 earlier this year. >>

Now that is just silly.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I sold off the end of my psa 8's around 4 months ago. At one point I had right around 50% of the set in PSA 8 or better, including most of the stars, but over the last year of collecting the pop reports were doubling or tripling, so I got out before I took a big loss. Sure, there are expceptions like the Raymond card, but they are few and far between now as compared to 2 years ago. A good example is # 114 in the set, Billy Conigliaro. When I bought that card 2 1/2 yrs ago the pop was around 7 or 8 in PSA 8 with none higher. It was a tough card, and I paid a relatively high price. Now the pop is 26 PSA 8's with 2 higher. I sold mine for under $100 and took a big hit.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I love the 71s.Have owned 2 sets raw but sold them both,VERY TOUGH AND COSTLY to put together a very high grade set.Very hard to notice recoloring.Cards chip easily in my opinion.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)