Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1 question about the 2006 $50 gold buffalos from u.s.mint

from the info i could find on this forum it looks like they will be making a proof coin and a business strike. i want to buy a couple through the mint and put them away for my kids. my question is which would be a better investment for them ? the proof or the ms. thanks.

john

Comments

• Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    The mint is talking three finishes possibly Proof, Uncirculated and Bullion finish. As for investment I really dont know and will defer to someone who does.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    i am probably only going to be able to pull 2 of the 3.

i plan on getting the uncirculated and proof.
    if i had to pick one i would get the uncirculated, that's just preference though.

no idea which one could go up in value the most.
  • Options
    According to a mint survey these are the estimated prices based on gold being $550/oz.

Proof..............$800 - $825
    Uncirculated...$680 - $705
    Bullion............$570 - $580.

No one knows what the diff will be between Uncirculated and Bullion, they are waiting for the mint to explain these finishes.

• Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    I didn't purchase the Dollar buff from the mint but this to me would be the Premier............!!!!...............image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    The one priced closest to spot gold has the best chance for profit.
  • Options

<< <i>The one priced closest to spot gold has the best chance for profit. >>

How about ones with really low mintages, if there are any? image
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    is any of this information available on the mint's website? i just looked and couldn't find any linkies.....
  • Options

<< <i>is any of this information available on the mint's website? i just looked and couldn't find any linkies..... >>

No its not the mint is keeping this hush hush for now. The only thing for certain is the approval to mint these is on the books and they must be minted before 06/30/06. I think that is the date on the bill. Anyone else no for sure?

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    They are probably keeping it quite so the Eagle coin sales are not effected to much.

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    For investment purposes you would be much better off purchasing the Gold Eagles.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy too many modern mint products (any longer), but I love the buffalo design and will buy at least one of the uncirculated types. Not worth the extra cash for a shinier coin!
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I also prefer the uncirculated as I did with the Bison Dollar commem. It reminds me more of the original Bison nickel than a cameo proof does.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd advise waiting for the first wives half oz-- available in unc, matte unc, proof, and reverse proof in .900 and 24k versions.

/hating alla these programs.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "i want to buy a couple through the mint and put them away for my kids. my question is which would be a better investment for them ?"

Same amount of money in an I-bond LINK.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    I doubt any current mint product would be a good investment. If you want to invest in gold, buy it for the gold, as close to spot as you can find. It is not likely the buff's will ever be worth more than melt (which of course, may rise).

As a better investment, buy some nice key date MS63-MS64 Morgan's - they are highly underrated and I think will appreciate nicely over time.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I doubt any current mint product would be a good investment. If you want to invest in gold, buy it for the gold, as close to spot as you can find. It is not likely the buff's will ever be worth more than melt (which of course, may rise).

>>

I think the excitement and whatnot over the new Buff $50s is going to further dimish any interest in the proof platinum coins. I think I'd far rather half a couple of proof half oz proof platinums-- they're coming out Friday. The mintages will be much lower.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Pardon my ignorance, but are there any photos of these coins available?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options

<< <i>Pardon my ignorance, but are there any photos of these coins available? >>

unfortunately not. believe me, i've searched. it is supposed to be the 1913 frazier buffalo nickel design though.

i've even thought about trying to photoshop one for the heck of it. image
  • Options
    There is an artist rendition in the 03/14 Coin World however I dont have it online.

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For investment purposes you would be much better off purchasing the Gold Eagles. >>

Why? The gold eagles are only 22K and the buffalos will be 24K.
  • Options
    There is still a full try ounce of Gold in it - the 22k gold coins weight more than the 24k coins. A jeweler friend of mine says some in the business prefer the 22k US gold coins because they are a good alloy for high dollar jewelry and usually can be bought for about the same amount as jewelers gold. They just shave it up and cast it into their wax molds.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I see.

so the 24K option is strictly to compete with other counties who offer it. image
  • Options
    I costs a lot more money to refine gold beyond 22k - the Canadiens have perfected the process. The new buff may indeed be an attempt to appease the "purists" who want true 24k gold. But for bullion value, stick with the Eagles at slightly above melt. (not at melt from the mint, but a third party sellers are close to melt on Eagles)

Gold for Sale at close to melt

edit to add this tidbit...

1 troy ounce = 31.10 grams
    1 "regular" ounce = 28.35 grams

So beware unscrupulous sellers that adtertise 1 ounce gold ingots - if it doesn't say "troy" ounce, you are getting about 10% less gold than you are probably paying for.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file