Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Emmitt Smith Player Set Thread

I had to start this after looking at the competition to complete one of the largest sets in the registry!

Here we go! Some quick notes as of today 874 cards in the set.

All-Time Finest
Collection Weighted GPA Completion Set Rating
1 John Woody's Emmitt Smith Master Collection 9.68 10.76% 0.57
2 Rich and Trenton's Emmitt Collection 9.20 3.78% 0.20
2 Dave Paul's Emmitt Smith Master Set 9.77 2.63% 0.20
4 Museum of Sports History 9.10 1.49% 0.13
5 Alex's Emmitt Smith collection 9.00 0.69% 0.09

Cards available as of 2/11/2006 as identified by Cowboycards.com (Thanks Marty)
Total Emmitt Smith cards (3051)

Emmitt the man:

Emmitt Smith was the Cowboys number 1 draft pick in the 1990 draft following an All American career at the University of Florida. Emmitt wasted little time in proving his value with the Cowboys by gaining 937 yards his Rookie season and scoring 11 TD's. During his time with the Cowboys, Emmitt has led the league in Rushing 4 times, been the leagues MVP and the Super Bowl MVP as well as being a member of 3 Super Bowl Championship teams. After surpassing Walter Payton's as the NFL's career rushing leader the Cowboys and Emmitt parted ways. Emmitt finished his career with 2 years in Arizona. Emmitt suffered a major injury for the first time in his career and missed most of the 2003 season but he rebounded and had a excellent 2004 season, his last. Upon retirement, Emmitt is the NFL career leader in rushing TD's with 164, Rushing yards with 18,355 and rushing attempts with 4,409. The argument over who is the greatest running back of all time may never be decided but one thing is for sure, when fans argue who they think the greatest is, Emmitt's name will always come up.talk about the 4 or 5 greatest backs of all time, Emmitt is always mentioned. There are very few guarantees in life, but Emmitt Smith is a lock for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. 2009, be looking!

Year Team Games Att Yds Avg TDs Rec Yds TDs
1990 Cowboys 16 241 937 3.9 11 24 228 0
1991 Cowboys 16 365 1563 4.3 12 49 258 1
1992 Cowboys 16 373 1713 4.6 18 59 335 1
1993 Cowboys 14 283 1486 5.3 9 57 414 1
1994 Cowboys 15 368 1484 4.0 21 50 341 1
1995 Cowboys 16 377 1773 4.7 25 62 375 0
1996 Cowboys 15 327 1204 3.7 12 47 249 3
1997 Cowboys 16 261 1074 4.1 4 40 234 0
1998 Cowboys 16 319 1332 4.2 13 27 175 2
1999 Cowboys 15 329 1397 4.2 11 27 119 2
2000 Cowboys 16 294 1203 4.1 9 11 79 0
2001 Cowboys 14 261 1021 3.9 3 17 116 0
2002 Cowboys 16 254 975 3.8 5 16 89 0
2003 Cardinals 10 90 256 2.8 2 14 107 1
2004 Cardinals 15 267 937 3.5 9 15 105 0
Totals 15 Seasons 226 4409 18355 4.2 164 515 3224 11

Emmitt is not limited to rushing only, he is 4th on the Cowboys ALL TIME reception list with 486 catches.

Last thing - Post pictures when possible. Emmitt has some great looking cards!
Collecting Graded Cowboys. Especially Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett and Troy Aikman!

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emmitt was definately a great back but switch Barry Sanders and Him and Emmitt does not even get 10000 yds I bet.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I didn't see Jim Brown play, so I plead ignorance on that one. Out of the other three, Sanders was just so darn electrifying almost every time he touched the ball.
  • Krunch,

What a great thread , I love it !!

Was Barry more electrifying than Emmitt ? Yes. But i believe in my heart theres no way he was a better all-around back than Emmitt. There's more to your job than just running the ball for a back. Pass catching and pass blocking are huge responsibilities for guys in the backfield. If your a Qb who do you wan't picking up a blitz by a linebacker, Emmitt or Barry ? Also, Emmitt was a great goalline back in his prime whereas Barry was often pulled out for a bigger back on the goaline. Don't get me wrong i loved watching Barry run the ball but having played the position myself in school i know the importance of all the aspects of the position.

Now onto the set. After not even 2 months i find myself sitting in the 3rd spot with quite a ways to go to get where i want to be. You guys look like your going to be quite the competition and i look foward to seeing all of us rise in the standings.

BTW Krunch, you have over 3000 total Emmitt cards ? wow thats alot of cards lol. Are they all different or is that including doubles ? Just last week i went to Becketts website and printed out every single card that was listed for him. Over 5000 cards if i remember correctly and i printed over 180 pages. My wife surprised me and bought one of those hole punchers and put all of the sheets in a nice binder for me. Now when i go to card shows i'll know which cards i need and which i have. Of course i only have about 300 so right now it's not too hard to remember if i have a card or not. If you do have doubles and you plan on selling any plmk because i'd be interested in any of the ones i need

Here's to one of the greatest to play the game and even a greater role model image

Dave
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I collect Emmitt Smith cards as a side project (have too many other set and player collections in the works to concentrate full time on Emmitt).
    I did want to comment on one quote in the intial post:

"Cards available as of 2/11/2006 as identified by Cowboycards.com (Thanks Marty)
    Total Emmitt Smith cards (3051)"

A while back I looked at the Cowboy lists on Cowboycards.com--and while it is a nice list--I noticed that there are many cards missing from that list--including many that I personally own.

For the Emmitt Smith cards in particular, I looked on the Beckett player online checklist, and they currently have 5,066 different Emmitt cards cataloged on the checklist (quite a bit more than 3,051).

Just wanted to clarify the immensity of cards that exist for Emmitt Smith since CardCoreCollector mentioned it (another reason I can't currently concentrate too much on that collection). That is all.

James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • James,

Your right 5066 is alot of cards

My main goal is to just collect every base/insert of him. Im not too interested in the GU or auto's.

I also collect sport memorabilia as well as cards so i figure instead of spending a bunch of money on his auto cards i will just wait untill he's signing ata card show near my home and have him sign an authentic Cowboy jersey that i can frame in my basement/sport room

Dave
  • Wow, Awesome response. As for the Barry - Emmitt Debate.

Barry had Herman Moore to help him out but how many yards did Irvin and Novacek take away from Emmitt that he could have rushed for? Of course I see the flip side that with other weapons it also cleared room for him to run.

Dave - did you notice that we are tied for second. I have more cards by percentage, but we are tied in the set rating! Here are the cards I have requested to be added!

http://www.psacard.com/set_registry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=53037&alltime=no&requesttimeout=9999&rank=none&tied=0&showcase=1

As for the number of cards. WOW...Nice job on the Beckett thing, over 5000. That's only $25000 in grading fees, if you self submit every card and never upgrade after your first submission!

Dave, I have a lot of Emmitts but I don't have all 3000 listed on the Cowboycards.com website.

As for second place....Since I also do Aikman, Dorsett, Jones, White (Randy) and team sets of the Cowboys, as well as 1978 Topps and 1985 Topps, I don't think I'll be in second too much longer image

Guys, post some pictures of your favorite or unique Emmitt cards!
    Collecting Graded Cowboys. Especially Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett and Troy Aikman!
  • Some one help me out here but PSA has graded about 1241 different Emmitt Smith cards. Only 3825 to go!
  • That's really strange....I was the first one to build that set and was #1 for a while....I just went back to see where I stand, and my set is gone! Has anyone ever had a set just disappear from the registry?

I found it was easy to get the main cards from that set....but I was spending more for the worthless cards than the valuable ones. The only card from that set that isn't buried in my closet is the 90 update....that really is a nice card.

When building the set....don't buy the 88 BK card in a PSA holder....99% of them are fake. I bought 3 PSA 10s....all were bad. I took a bath when i sold them back to PSA.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• When building the set....don't buy the 88 BK card in a PSA holder....99% of them are fake. I bought 3 PSA 10s....all were bad. I took a bath when i sold them back to PSA.

Wow. Never knew that. What are the tell tale signs of a fake duner ?

• Off the top of my head there are 2 types of fakes. The obvious one lacks the entire burger king logo on the front....but i've actually seen them graded by the pseudo respected companies the old SCD etc. The less discriminating fake has the logo but doesn't have the TM logo in the bottom corner of it. These are tough b/c most ebay scans aren't large enough that you'd ever know unless you specifically ask. A slew of those have been graded. The only company I'm aware of that hasn't graded any of the bogus cards is BGS.
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Duner. I thought when I started my set you were #2 and Woody was #1 and I was #3. I woke up one morning and your set was gone and I was #2. I heard (don't quote me on this) that if there is no activity in a set for 1 year, PSA removes the set? Again, don't quote me on that.

As for the Burger King card!

Here is a website to help. Beckett also had an article once.

http://last-son-of-krypton.50megs.com/Fake_1988_Florida_Burger_King_Emmitt_Smith.html

The chance of finding a PSA 10 card that was given out with greasy burgers and fries to a bunch of kids is pretty slim. PSA 7, sounds more legit!

As for the #2 thing, that didn't last long did it Dave image LOL (I had already sold the Ionix card, sorry about that.)
  • krunchtyme...I think you're right. I forgot about needing a certain percentage completed for the set to stay registered, which explains why that's the only set of mine that was dumped.

as for woody, he came out of nowhere on me when I was building the set, and he passed me in about 2 weeks from the start of his set....I think I had about 60 cards registered too.
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Duner, add them back in. Jump in the mix. It's going to be a wild and long ride. I bet together, everyone on the board can't even get to 50%!

Or, if your looking to off load or trade, THIS IS THE THREAD to be in image

Later Rich (krunchtyme)
  • SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    I have the following Emmitt cards for sale. $2 shipping/card (less if multiple cards). Send PM if interested. Paypal only.

90 Topps Traded #27T - PSA 10 - $20
    91 Topps #360 - PSA 10 (1 of 5) - $20
    93 Topps #120 - PSA 10 (1 of 3) - $20
    95 Topps #330 - PSA 10 (1 of 4) - $20
    97 Topps #220 - PSA 9 - $10
    98 Topps #25 - PSA 9 - $10
    99 Topps #50 - PSA 8 - $5

Thanks.
  • Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I just pulled that same card to submit to PSA under the $5 grading special. Love that card.
  • Got a new Emmitt PSA 10 today! Of course, the case was broken in half because it was shipped in a PAPER ENVELOPE! It expensive enough, but to pay and have the cards destroyed is even worse!.

I e-mailed the seller, and I think he should refund my money for shipping a PSA card in a paper envelope. What do you guys think?
  • Rich,

I think it's ludicrous to send a PSA card in an envelope. I'd love to hear what is response is going to be when you tell him what happened

here's one that arrived today

• Just got back results of some cards i sent in recently

Can't wait to add them to the set lol

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    1 31438023 1992 BOWMAN 180 EMMITT SMITH FOIL 9
    2 31438024 1992 COLLECTOR'S EDGE 32 EMMITT SMITH N/A 9
    3 31438025 1999 FLAIR SHOWCASE 88 EMMIT SMITH ROW 2 8
    4 31438026 1998 SKYBOX E-X2001 9 EMMITT SMITH N/A 8
    5 31438027 2000 TOPPS CHROME 198 EMMITT SMITH N/A 9
    6 31438028 2000 FINEST 86 EMMITT SMITH N/A 10
    7 31438029 1991 ACTION PACKED 59 EMMITT SMITH N/A 8
    8 31438030 1999 SKYBOX E-X CENT. 15 EMMITT SMITH BRIGHT LIGHTS 10
    9 31438031 1999 FINEST 130 EMMITT SMITH W/COATING 10
    10 31438032 1999 BOWMAN'S BEST 30 EMMITT SMITH N/A 10
    11 31438033 2002 BOWMAN'S BEST 7 EMMITT SMITH N/A 10
    12 31438034 1994 SP 122 EMMITT SMITH DIE-CUT 10
    13 31438035 1994 PLAYOFF CONTENDERS 20 EMMITT SMITH N/A 9
    14 31438036 1992 FLEER 475 EMMITT SMIH N/A 9
    15 31438037 1978 TOPPS 385 CHARLIE WATERS N/A 9
    16 31438038 1981 TOPPS 21 MAGIC JOHNSON N/A 8
    17 31438039 1986 FLEER 53 MAGIC JOHNSON N/A 8
    18 31438040 1989 FLEER 77 MAGIC JOHNSON N/A 9
    19 31438041 1988 FLEER 67 MAGIC JOHNSON N/A 8
    20 31438042 1990 KENNER MAGIC JOHNSON STARTING LINEUP 10

• Have a great 8 x 12 matte finish Emmitt photo for those interested. Notice his feet are not touching the ground. I own the original slide and rights to the shot.

$13 delivered. Paypal, check and MO accepted. E-mail or PM with questions.

Check my Ebay ID for reference - ubidnow2

Also just acquired a great close up of Troy Aikman. This will be available in the next few days.

Thanks,
    Keith

• He apologized and offered a full refund w/shipping. I was hoping it would be that easy. It was the second time that has happened to me. For anyone reading this board ... DO NOT SHIP PSA GRADED CARDS IN A PAPER ENVELOPE!

As a side note - Does anyone know if PSA will pay for broken cert #'s. The case is destroyed, but the cert # is intact. I heard somewhere that they will give a $5 voucher for a cert no longer in circulation.

Of course, I'd feel bad because then I made out on the purchase of the card, instead of just breaking even.

Dave - You're killing me! I will bow to the #2 set on the boardimage Do you think you can cetch John?
  • some more Emmitts back

• Hey guys, We should re-evaluate the card weights. They seem off. Some regular issue cards are rated higher than their die-cur counterparts, or refractors, etc...

I've seen on other player threads that the set weights are redone yearly, by price and scarcity. I think we should do the same thing. Let me know what you think. Thanks Rich
  • Rich,

Im going to be honest with you on this one, i have no idea how the whole card weight system works.

All i know is that i love my graded Emmitts image

Dave
  • About two weeks ago, I had a higher percentags of cards in the set, but you actually passed me. That is because you had cards that were weigted more in the set. I was checking out the weights and notices what I would have considered to be abnormalities. Just wondering if anyone was against re-weighting, for re-weighting, etc... to make it more consistant.
  • Hey you guys....after all of this talk about the Emmitt Smith sets, no one has written-in to send congrats to Dr. Leo for taking over the top spot on both Basic and Master lists!! Nice job! I hope that all of us continue to collect one of the GREATEST running backs ever! "Here's to continued good, fun competition!" I hope to see some of you at the National!!
    Always interested in:
    1949 Eureka, 1921 Exhibit, 1948 Exhibit, 1950 R423, 1997 Donruss VXP, 1992 Topps Kids
    Gretzky, Arod, Clemens, Bonds, Maddux, Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice and more!

• << <i>That's really strange....I was the first one to build that set and was #1 for a while....I just went back to see where I stand, and my set is gone! Has anyone ever had a set just disappear from the registry?

I found it was easy to get the main cards from that set....but I was spending more for the worthless cards than the valuable ones. The only card from that set that isn't buried in my closet is the 90 update....that really is a nice card.

When building the set....don't buy the 88 BK card in a PSA holder....99% of them are fake. I bought 3 PSA 10s....all were bad. I took a bath when i sold them back to PSA. >>

Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • What I meant to say in my previous post..........

I have one ogf the fakes in a PSA holder. How do I go about getting some monetary relief from PSA? Thanks.

Brian
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • dunerduner Posts: 625
    Hobart, you'll have to email/call psa. i think it's ivan lopez that deals with the stuff. he'll have you mail the card to him, and if it's fake they'll compensate you. the problem is....the monetary amount is largely up to them. A BGS 9.5 will likely run you $200+ but they weren't hearing that when I sold mine back. I ultimately ended up getting what I paid for mine, but that was only because I had my receipts. Since they gave me $150/each for mine, that's likely what they'll offer you.
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Thanks Duner-I'll give them a call on Monday.

Brian
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • krunchtymekrunchtyme Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Sorry about that, I was out of town for a while. I have sent Dr. Leo an e-mail congratulating him on taking #1 and letting him know about this thread on the message board.

As for the Burger King card. I read some different things about the card and will only buy one if I know it is good, which is why I don't have one. I have found one good one, a PSA 7. It went higher than I expected and of course, higher than I was willing to pay.

Woodman and Hobart, welcome to the boards as well.

If any one is looking for raw emmitts, post it up here, I know we all have a million of them we would like to part with. Thanks Rich
  • First off i would like to congratulate Dr. Leo on his new top ranking

secondly, how the f*%$ did those pics of jewlery get on my post ? I didn't scan those nor where they there a few days ago

Dave
  • Emmitt your retired, but not forgotten.

Hey guys, I noticed no traffic for about a half a year. Anyone have anything new going on with the Emmitt collections. I have been out of the loop for a while and noticed some guys are flying up the list.

Anyone have any PSA 9's they would like to get rid of? Post them, with the amount and/or a trade request. I am actually looking to get rid of most of my non-Cowboy collection as it has become to expensive to collect it all. To bad it wasn't like it was back in the 70's and early 80's.

We'll maybe this won't get read, but if it does. Happy Holidays!!!!!!!
  • Here is an oddball Emmitt Smith card

1994 Fact Fleer Shell

Regards, Jeff
  • Just received a grade on the following Emmitt card...

6 40506486 1991 WILD CARD 4 EMMITT SMITH PROTOTYPE 9

It seems to be the first one graded by PSA (there are 2 Lawrence Taylor cards graded).

I'll consider a trade if anyone is interested... looking primarily for Sandberg, Ryan, Gretzky, and Roenick.
  • Are you looking for graded or ungraded Sandburg and Ryan stuff. I have some older regular issues and maybe a few odd balls. Any idea of what you are looking for?
  • krunchtyme,i have a 1998 upper deck encore emmitt smith #60 psa 9.if you are interested pm me your email address so i can send you a scan.

Looking for primarily graded regular issue stuff.
  • I've got a PSA 8 1981 Topps Nolan Ryan. Interested?
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Krunch,

What a great thread , I love it !!

Was Barry more electrifying than Emmitt ? Yes. But i believe in my heart theres no way he was a better all-around back than Emmitt. There's more to your job than just running the ball for a back. Pass catching and pass blocking are huge responsibilities for guys in the backfield. If your a Qb who do you wan't picking up a blitz by a linebacker, Emmitt or Barry ? Also, Emmitt was a great goalline back in his prime whereas Barry was often pulled out for a bigger back on the goaline. Don't get me wrong i loved watching Barry run the ball but having played the position myself in school i know the importance of all the aspects of the position.

Now onto the set. After not even 2 months i find myself sitting in the 3rd spot with quite a ways to go to get where i want to be. You guys look like your going to be quite the competition and i look foward to seeing all of us rise in the standings.

BTW Krunch, you have over 3000 total Emmitt cards ? wow thats alot of cards lol. Are they all different or is that including doubles ? Just last week i went to Becketts website and printed out every single card that was listed for him. Over 5000 cards if i remember correctly and i printed over 180 pages. My wife surprised me and bought one of those hole punchers and put all of the sheets in a nice binder for me. Now when i go to card shows i'll know which cards i need and which i have. Of course i only have about 300 so right now it's not too hard to remember if i have a card or not. If you do have doubles and you plan on selling any plmk because i'd be interested in any of the ones i need

Here's to one of the greatest to play the game and even a greater role model image

Dave >>

I 100% agree w/ your argument for Smith. Sanders was flashy and faster but Smith could do it all-very well. Smith was also a better power runner.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I never saw this thread before image
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    I was looking for the other one and this one. Anything Emmitt is a good thing.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Where is our dancing king's other thread?

The next Emmitt has been spotted. All you E fans keep your eyes on the Crimson Tide for the next few years. Trent Richardson, from Pensacola, will remind you of Smith. Both in body style and running ability.

He will be playing on Sundays soon.

Trent has broke all of E's high school records. I'm not ready to say that he will break anymore of his records, but he's good.

collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    This is a question relating more towards just the rookie set..but didn't think it needed its own thread.. Shouldn't the 1990 Madden card be part of the rookie set? what about the 88 burger king card?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Yup, I do. LOL

It's been a couple of years since I last posted in here.

So anyone got any PSA 10 Emmitt's to trade/sell? PSA 9's?

Later
  • Been almost 8 years since I posted here? A lot has gone on in the Emmitt boards!!!!

Well. If anyone is around and has any additional Emmitt Smith cards for sale, trade, hit me up. Thanks Rich