Comments

• Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    it is what it is.image
  • Options
    Interesting.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although it's not obvious in the photo that the coin is a proof, it may be obvious in person.

Also, there are reverse die scratches on the business strikes that do not appear on the proofs, so it should be possible to differentiate a proof from a business strike however worn the piece may be.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    so what is the story behind this coin? Did you buy it that way? Did you buy the coin and send it in for grading? How much did you pay for it if not to personal? Are the first photos after the coin was removed from the slab? Are the photos prior to slabbing? Just a lot of questions.
    Carl
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just use the force.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would think it'd be possible to tell in hand from sharpness of strike(even though the high point detail is worn), the strike at the denticles and the flatness of the fields.
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Although it's not obvious in the photo that the coin is a proof, it may be obvious in person.

Also, there are reverse die scratches on the business strikes that do not appear on the proofs, so it should be possible to differentiate a proof from a business strike however worn the piece may be. >>

I hope so I have one at pcgs now!image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rims.
    More boxed shape.

peacockcoins

• Options
    mcmximcmxi Posts: 890
    I bought it as an VFish (discounted for the rim ding). It had very little luster or eye appeal, and sent it to NCSfor some help. This is one of the pitfalls I didn't think of. I figured it wouldn't grade because of a rim ding, but having it slabbed as genuine would help any later sale. I think the may be the only year that a proof is worth less than business in this condition. I am however the proud new owner of a proof Morgan. Now I guess I have to put together a complete set of circ damaged proofs.

The photos are from when I got it back from NCS today.
    If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious
  • Options
    I'm confused. I thought a proof was supposed to be a pristine specimen with cameo, the whole 9 yards. Once it gets obvious wear like that, how can it still be called "proof"?

If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    "Proof" is a method of manufacture, not a description of condition.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although it's not obvious in the photo that the coin is a proof, it may be obvious in person.

Also, there are reverse die scratches on the business strikes that do not appear on the proofs, so it should be possible to differentiate a proof from a business strike however worn the piece may be. >>

Right on, Andy. On a business strike, if you look at the eagle's claw to your right (the eagle's left) and look at the talon sticking our to your left, there is a horizontal die scratch above that talon. A different die pair was used for the Proofs.
    Tom D.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    You simply have to count the number of reeds on the coins edge. If it has 179 then it is a proof 1894 Morgan. If it has 189 then it is a business strike 1894 Morgan.

Please refer to Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan & Peace Dollars, Fourth Edition by Leroy C. Van Allen & A. George Mallis, Page 129, Figure 7-4 Morgan Dollar Edge Reeding.
  • Options
    mcmximcmxi Posts: 890
    I keep coming up with 149?
    If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious
  • Options
    One hundred and Fifty Seven (157) is the minimum number of reed edges in the entire collection of Morgan dollars. The maximum number of reed edges for the Morgan dollar series is 194.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file