Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Barber Halves in VF and better seem to be on a run

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
Prices for nice looking unmessed with VF and better Barber

Halves seem to be going at Ebay auctions at well over PCGS

price list.In especially high demand are PCGS slabed coins in the

aformentioned grades. Seems like a big rush to fill holes in Barber Half sets.

The Melting Pot factor as well as the decreasing supply of pleasing high grade

circulated halves seems to be having a cummulative effect, pushing prices beyond

any of the pricing guides. Auctions appear to be establishing a new, higher, pricing structure

for truly origonal , high grade Circ halves.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    I think this is just a small, transient blip on the Barber radar screen, brought on by a handful of rabid Barber half collectors primarily. Life is short. Barbers are beautiful. Baby boomers mature. Some are retiring.

The investors, especially hoarding-investors, should not miss this opportunity to make a great return on their 'ugly', original, problem-free, VF-XF Barber investment coins. The cornered market they longed for is here--now. Where are all those 1913's & 14's that were salted away by the dozens?

The Bubble expandeth, and hath not yet burst.

Don't die with your coins, NOW is the time to sell! Spend the investment return on something pretty, or shiny, for crying out loud.

The rabid collectors await, but their zeal may not last forever. . . nor will holes remain in their sets much longer. Exactly how many of these characters there are out there, I don't know, just know of-- one-- for sure image

Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    I noticed that as well. It's a neat challenging series with no real stoppers no matter what grade you are collecting. I used to have a complete proof set of hlaf until I bought a house many years ago. image

I wonder if the 10c and 25c will catch the fever.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    With all this hype going on I would suggest that Bears buy these for the current PCGS contestimage--------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Bear,

Are you the one outbidding me for XF45s on the Bay of E? You're killing me man.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    The VF and XF grades are extremely popular with Barber half collectors. As the prices keep moving up........to complete a set in AU becomes very expensive, so more and more Barber half collectors are turning to the VF and XF grades. In the VF and XF grades, it's still possible to put together a great looking and affordable set. Of course, as more collectors collect in the VF and XF grade ranges, nice, original coins will be harder and harder to find, increasing prices even further.
  • Options
    AU Bust halves are doing the same... many brining over PCGS price guide(gasp) in PCGS holders.
    Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about. -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    I guess once I identify all my competition, I will just have

to pay each one a visit and maul them a bit.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Also by purchasing a PCGS slab, at least you know that the coin is not a fake or fraud.
    image Scottish Fold Gold
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bear,

Are you the one outbidding me for XF45s on the Bay of E? You're killing me man. >>

Who's killing who ?

My token bids are just that - just to test the waters. Sorry Craig, one of those XF45's is mine. image
    Not anymore that is...your bids and Ralph27s' bids are out of sight. I've got to give up if you're paying MS62 money for a XF45 coin.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to be collecting these in VF or better.....

But I am content with my VG set I am working on.....

Finding (or trying to) VF or better Halves would drive me insane I think.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    I keep shoveling money on my bids and smoeone

seems to have a bigger shovel. Don,t you folks know enough

to back off when the bear is prowling.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bear,

Hollow growls won't get you far these days. There's alot of competition for these coins.

Maybe if we all knew your ebay handle, someone would be nice enough to back off of a few things you like...( yeah, right )

Mine's Elbesaar... the names of my Black female Doberman and my Red male Doberman.
    "Elbe Auf Westphalia" & "Sage's Stormy Saar"

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    My lips are sealed, however, you

will find the word bear in my bidding

handle along with smoe numbers.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Gee if I had a dog, I woulname

it Dunkin Donutes out of Grand Rapids.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    TarmacTarmac Posts: 394
    my Black female Doberman and my Red male Doberman.

Pix? I love Dobies!
  • Options

<< <i>Mine's Elbesaar... the names of my Black female Doberman and my Red male Doberman.
    "Elbe Auf Westphalia" & "Sage's Stormy Saar" >>

Mike,

I guess your coins are safe at home........no need for a bank safety deposit box with 2 Doberman's prowling around your home.
  • Options
    I hate to say this, but my annual bank bill is $780 a year. Dogs or no dogs, its alot safer keeping everything at the bank. Digital images on my computer are all I need...and when I do get an addition, I can spend some time in the vault organizing the collection. There's nothing like having the coin in hand though.

I can spend hours looking at my SLQ sets. I get to view them again this week because of my newest addition. See link:
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Mike,

I thought you were going to make a play on that 02-O. I'm going to have to kick in some serious money for that piece.

I like your Ebay handle. Pretty cool to use your dog's names.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caped Bust, Seated, Barbers, Walkers been outbid for the last month by you guys. Gald the Franklins and Kennedys are complete.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

I thought you were going to make a play on that 02-O. I'm going to have to kick in some serious money for that piece.

I like your Ebay handle. Pretty cool to use your dog's names. >>

I'm letting you and Ralph27 duke it out. You're getting this coin at a very dear price. Its over double what I think the coin is worth. Don't get me wrong, I really the 02-O, but I'll bide my time and get another one someday to upgrade my VF25 for my second tier set.

LD: you out there ?

Thanks, Craig, I really like my Ebay handle as well. Its also my primary email address.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file