Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need Help with 1921-D Morgan VAM - Die Gouge in P

Can't find a match for this 21-D VAM. It has a die gouge at the base of the P. Has a few die cracks, no big breaks, can't match those either. Small die chip over M in UNUM. Tried to trace the die cracks. Was ready to pull my hair out after two minutes.

obverse
obverse with lines
reverse
reverse with lines

Comments

• Possibly a 2b eds... I don't have my book in front of me. How does the date look?
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.

• << <i>Possibly a 2b eds... I don't have my book in front of me. How does the date look? >>

Some of the cracks are similar, but there are different ones on mine and the 2B.
    The die gouge in the P can be easily seen with the naked eye.
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I have the very same one in my Leroy box. Doesn't fit any of them according to my notes I think.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The junk on top of the left serif of the M reminds me a little of what an early die state of the VAM 1L would look like, I think. Do any of the other cracks match it?
    That M is the one in UNUM (obv), not the AMERICA one.

Norm's is the VAM-1BH (R-6). Mine is different. It has a gouge in the P, but inside the loop.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • John, the 1L doesn't have the crack through TED and my coin is missing cracks on the 1L.
    Coxe, is that your "already sent to Leroy" box or the "need to ship this before the end of the year" box? Let me know the designation from Leroy so I can put a label in mine.
    It's my "send to Leroy when I return from FUN" box that I haven't shipped because I add to it every week or two. Gotta get it out Friday.

Here's the VAM-1BH from Ash's site.

You have a really neat find, Norm. I am still checking to make sure the one I have isn't a 1BB or something.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Excellent! Thanks for the help! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file