Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is PCGS going back to their old style slabs?

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    That's freaky. I'd be interested to see a reverse of that one.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hope not
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    looks like i have some stuff with slightly different color labels and small holograms
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I would focus more on "is that a legitimate slab" than the question posed.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I would say it is NOT a legit slab. Not only does it look cracked on top, the coin in question does not look mint state either.
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    the cert number is good !
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I always wondered if you could cut a slit in the top and remove/insert a label....

Someone may have done it. It would have raised less suspicion if they used the right style label for the slab....
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, the coin appears mint state. This is a typical look for 1920-S Buffalos.

Also, the "crack" on the top of the slab is not a crack. It's a separation line that exists on all rattlers.

The image appears photoshopped. I just thought it ethically curious for a dealer to do this.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Whoops !

im guessing thats a coin world slab with a good cert and the wrong coin !
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are just photo cropping the slabs.
    This one looks funcky too.
    1937 Proof
    Also this dime looks the same.
    1940 Proof
  • Options
    i see the pins for the halves of the slab to fit together and no PCGS logo on the bottom right !

I smell scam !
  • Options
    Did some more checking and all three of the cert. numbers are valid. So maybe these are some of the last of the rattlers to be slabed with the newer number systen i.e. the eitght numbers and bar code. The cert. numbers seem to be part of a group run of coins. And I agree there is no PCGS logo in the corner.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    Read further on the Ebay offerring of the nickel .... Please Note Our Office Will Be Closed From 3/11-3/20.

Wonder why their PO closes for 10 days?
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That label was never used with that slab style. Its been photo shopped or he opened an old slab and substitued a new label and coin. Scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>So maybe these are some of the last of the rattlers to be slabed with the newer number systen i.e. the eitght numbers and bar code. >>

Rattlers never had bar codes. Also, I've never seen one with an 8 digit cert number.

Edited to add: The image in the auction is definitely a rattler slab, though.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Check out this slab #4.1 from Cammies web site.
    PCGS4.1
    It has the eigth digit number and a bar code.
    But other things like the coin number are still off.
  • Options

<< <i>Check out this slab #4.1 from Cammies web site.
    PCGS4.1 >>

Not a rattler.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Not a rattler. >>

I agree. Something looks wronge. New inserts old slabs.
    Crack and uncrack?
  • Options
    Heres my .02
    My coins

cert is 02974728 with bar code,no series number or coin number,small round hologram on reverse and says
    Nasdaq clct

cert 21663386 with bar code, series 20 pr,coin 11,lg rectangle hologram on reverse that says PNG

Holders appear identicle.

both display the PCGS logo on the lower right obverse

neither are rattlers
  • Options
    I think Shamika is probably right that it's a Photoshop job.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My personal opinion:

The coins are legit. The pictures are of the coins when they were in the former rattler holder. The seller must have resubmitted them for upgrade and was successful on getting the coins upgraded.

The new tags looks like they were photoshopped over the old slabs. Look how close the tops of the tag/insert is to the top edge of the holder. That is too small of a gap and is an improper picture.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I live in Gainesville and I think the mailing address they give almost surely is a UPS store, formally owned by friends of mine. As far as their "post office being closed from 3-11 to 3-20," the university here (the University of Florida) is on Spring Break from 3-11 to 3-19. So I suspect that this operation is student-run and they are on Spring Break. I wish they had a store front because it seems they have some interesting coins. There are two coin stores in town. One is run by someone I think honest, but as far as I know, the coins are raw, low-end coins. The other is run by a guy who shafted my wife on an $8 proof set, and so I've never been back.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My personal opinion:

The coins are legit. The pictures are of the coins when they were in the former rattler holder. The seller must have resubmitted them for upgrade and was successful on getting the coins upgraded.

The new tags looks like they were photoshopped over the old slabs. Look how close the tops of the tag/insert is to the top edge of the holder. That is too small of a gap and is an improper picture. >>

Absolutely no reason to do this.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My personal opinion:

The new tags looks like they were photoshopped over the old slabs. Look how close the tops of the tag/insert is to the top edge of the holder. That is too small of a gap and is an improper picture. >>

Absolutely no reason to do this. >>

I agree, why not just take new pics of the coin in the new holder. I'd stay away from this joker.
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried to ask the seller what's going on?

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>So maybe these are some of the last of the rattlers to be slabed with the newer number systen i.e. the eitght numbers and bar code. >>

The rattlers slabs were discontinued by Jan 1990. These slabs in question have the coin and series numbers on the label. The coin and series numbers did not appear on slabs before Jan 1999, nine years after the rattlers were discontinued. And when they were introduced, the barcode was on the BACK label. The coin and series numbers and the barcode did not both appear on the front label until some time in 2003. So these auctions show slabs with labels that weren't used until thirteen years after the slabs were discontinued. I think we can discard the "last of the rattlers" theory.
  • Options
    How hard was it to crack the old rattler slabs so they split neatly on the seams? Is it possible he opened a rattler slab and then substituted a new coin and label and then resealed it?

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a friggin photoshop job. Look at the nickel in the holder...does anyone see rims?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know I really don't care for the eye appeal of the end result of the way that PCGS puts smallish coins in holders with or without the insert.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks to me like someone doctored the image.

David
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a friggin photoshop job. Look at the nickel in the holder...does anyone see rims?

image >>

Now look at the photo, as someone else suggested the label looks like it was pasted on the slab.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    I have verified through PCGS that these slabs as imaged, are not as-released by PCGS.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file