Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

please list your knowledge of auction terminology

I posted this accross the street.
Been thinking alot about descriptions and how repetitive they can be and how having collected for years, selling my collection off, making tons of mistakes (and probably still making them) there are some non-truths inherent within redundancy (if that makes any sense)

:::
blast white = the coin's been dipped and hasn't had a chance to yellow yet.
dusky grey = the coin looks like dirt
although... = although this is a [embarrassing lack of self control] coin, if you read this tortuous rendition, which says absolutely nothing and read it really hard trying to follow logic that is not really there, you might begin to believe it's worth bidding on.

foamy green = the coin looks like someone puked on it, but if they think of it as 'foamy', they'll think of the ocean in the Carribean and might be stupid enough to buy it.

We've seen thousands of blah blah blahs, but never one as pristine as this = they fall for that all the time...

This would satisfy the most finicky ... = maybe they won't notice the spot if we can make them think it's really not there and price tag is high enough.

This will surely find a home in a fine cabinet = yeah...you feel illustrious getting into the bidding fury because you want a 'fine' cabinet, so when you invite the Governor over for dinner, you'll have something to show him, then you actually get it, look at it long enough, realize you're never going to entertain royalty, you don't smoke cigars so there's no humidor on the end table, and that's just where the coin ends up... in your cabinet.

...for even the finest registry set.... = we're counting on you not knowing what the hell your doing and have full faith that we're giving you something no one else will have ... and hopefully won't notice that blaring stain we're trying so hard to make you not see...just dish out the money and buy the damned thing...

silky smooth surfaces = slightly dull because of prolonged emersion in urea

fully brilliant (and the coin starts at $5,000.00) = maybe they won't notice the tiny nicks and not realize that they can have an even more 'brilliant' one, a grade less and for less than half the money for this overgraded piece of [embarrassing lack of self control].

a typical strike for the issue = lousy strike but maybe they won't look any further, buy this one and not feel like they're settling for less.

high relief 1921 peace dollar = must have a lousier strike than the usual lousy strike so let's point out it's a high relief and maybe they won't look for something better and get this one off our hands...

fully struck = yes, you can see all the devices

just some observations of mine....

Comments

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    the only auction terminology i know is

"sold to the the fat benny hill look-a-like for way too much money"

unfortunately he means me.image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    This coin is unacceptable for the grade. It has significant haze, as well as some spotting in the fields = This coin is unacceptable for the grade. It has significant haze, as well as some spotting in the fields.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very astute collector once said to me - it's not what's in the description, it's what they LEFT OUT. So, if they don't mention the strike for example, assume it's crappy.

It's tough on the cataloguers - they walk a fine line. They have to do a sales job and at the same time be accurate enough to maintain their professional credibility. It's a lot tougher than just describing the coin.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    We wouldn.t be suprised if this coin
    were graded a point higher.

THIS IS A JUST MADE COIN THAT WOULD
    SUPRISE US IF IT WERE GRADED A POINT LOWER.

IF YOU CONSIDER MUDDY BROWN, BLACK, AND GRAY , COLORS
    OF THE RAINBOW, THEN YES IT IS REMARKABLE.

THIS IS PROBABLY THE TRUTH. THE POS IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DESCRIBE
    WITHOUT KILLING THE SALE.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    wispy marks (run over by a bulldozer)

surprisingly scarce (not valuable enough to merit certification)

great eye appeal (says our cataloguer who carries a white cane)

near gem (it's not a gem, but we like keyword spamming)
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    devoid of bagmarks (full of reedmarks and slidemarks)

undergraded (bumped a point on submission number 12)

finest we have seen in some time (since our last auction)

conditionally scarce (there are ten thousand in the next grade down and this one is an NGC example)
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This will surely find a home in a fine cabinet = yeah...you feel illustrious getting into the bidding fury because you want a 'fine' cabinet, so when you invite the Governor over for dinner, you'll have something to show him, then you actually get it, look at it long enough, realize you're never going to entertain royalty, you don't smoke cigars so there's no humidor on the end table, and that's just where the coin ends up... in your cabinet. >>

imageimageimage

Dove gray = coin has zero luster.

Microscopic fly specks = carbon spots so severe a mole could see them from across the room.

Minor scuff = coin was dragged behind a race car in the Indy 500.

Spackling luster = dipped!

A collectible grade = only a novice would buy it.

Destined for the advanced collector = advanced collectors should look eslewhere.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Black Beauty = Cooked in a car fire.

peacockcoins

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭

Life long puzzle to me.
    Show any Seated coin and 5 people on the spot will have to tell you the coin is dipped, cleaned, altered etc. Ask any expert and they will tell you that it is easier to shoot a hole in one on the moon than to find a Seated coin with original surfaces.
    One in three auction and or dealer descriptions begin, "A strictly original piece with totally original surfaces." Never ceases to amaze me.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excessively rare. I hate this one. It literally means too rare.

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭✭

You absolutely can learn more from what's left out, especially on early coins. If you're looking at an AU or low MS bust coin and there's no explicit mention of luster be careful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file