Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is a PSA graded 1985 Donruss set in my future?

Hi Guys, Many know that I only collect PSA graded 1950s cards now but I have been drawn to start an 80s set lately. I watched most of my baseball thoughout the 80s until now and I really like some of the sets. I sold my raw 1984 Donruss set to Raybshotz and he did quite well in grading over 100 of the cards. So I guess the 1984 Donruss set is out. I have been giving it some thought however about slowly starting a PSA graded 1985 Donruss set. I have a totally sweet raw set that needs a few star holes filled in the set so I was going to just get them graded. Are there any 1985 Donruss collectors out there that have already started and can give me some tips? Considering the lower prices for PSA 8s and some 9s, paying postage on each card will not cut it. Perhaps if I could get them in small lots then the postage spread out would not be too bad. Any guesses as to how much an all PSA 8 or all PSA 9 set might run me? Neil

Comments

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Neil;
    While I'm no expert on '85 Donruss, I can tell you that among '80s Donruss issues, the Nolan Ryan in PSA 9 still commands up to $20 on eBay (most other Donruss are at least $5 less, some much less than that) and in PSA 10 it still commands up to $100 while other years sell more in the $50 range.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    good luck in your endeavor. coolstufffast has 3 or 4 commons (psa 10) for $10 each.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Neil you could team up with me and my quest for the 88 Donruss Graded set. LOL I hope it goes well but I know from the black and blue boarders in my 88 set its tuff. WOW those 85's solid back boarders will be tuff. Good Luck and I hope you get allot of enjoyment from collecting it.

Joe
    88 Donruss - 1st All Time Finest Set
    Don Sutton Basic Set - 3rd All Time

Looking for 88 Donruss PSA 9 or Higher
    Looking for Sutton's PSA 7 or Higher
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Neil-

Why not just buy a set case for about $600-$700 or so? If you're only looking for 8s and 9s, you would definitely be able to put together such a set from purchasing a case...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Neil - Tough set. Looks amazing; the high grade examples though. The black borders, if they are jet black are outstanding.
    Marc's idea is grounded in sound thought. If you could spend that kind of dough for a factory set case, technically you would have all PSA 9 quality examples to submit.
    Knowing you; you have probably got some high quality raw stuff stashed that would grade impressively to get started. At $5 a card you might want to start the grading adventure with the best all star examples you have now. Get a feel for whether or not you have the eye.
    I've said elsewhere that the 84'85'86' Donruss run was a sweet looking 3 year run of cards.
    The 85's will keep you busy, keep you challenged, and hopefully keep you out of the poor house.

I would also contact the number 1 Registry guy. He might be able to get you started with a lot of dupes. You never know. image
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I've started an 85 Donruss set recently and I've been watching the prices somewhat closely. Earlier this week a PSA 10 Ryan went for about $250 and PSA 10 Puckett went for around $135. I've seen a lot of other PSA 10's of star players go in the $20 to $30 range and $10-$15 for commons. A lot of the 9's I've seen have been dirt cheap . . . I picked up several 9's of players like Brett, Strawberry, Gwynn etc. for less than $5 each. PSA 8's don't even seem to get bids even for the star cards.

I imagine that if more people start collecting this set though that will change really quickly.
  • Options
    NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hi Guys, Thanks for your comments. I might just pick up the stars in PSA 9 and keep the commons ungraded. Perhaps I'll pick up some of the commons in PSA 9 also if the price is right. I'm not sure yet as to which way I am headed. If anyone has any PSA 9 cards for sale, pm me or email me at nbdowney@msn.com - Thanks, Neil