Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Name a coin that you sold or traded away some years ago that is...

...worth A LOT more $ today?image I know this one may hurtimage, but I'm just curious.
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1849-O Seated Liberty Quarter, choice, original XF40 (it might slab as 45 today).
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Two (yes, two!) 1955 DDOs that my father had given me from his pocket change in 1957 or so. Sold them to a dealer for $25 each, which to an 11 year old in 1957 was mega bucks. I was born and raised in western Massachusetts where I beleive the bulk of the 55DDOs were discovered.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1889-cc in pcgs xf45 sold for $2100

also a 93-s anacs net graded vg 8 or 10 that woulda brought a bunch more today.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Sold off my gold type set to buy a flowing hair dollar.
  • Options
    I have a doozer--and it still hurts.

Many years ago I had a double die 1916/16 buffalo in VF I found in circulation before the variety was known. I took it to a coin show and sold it for $5 (ouch)!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    In 1976 I was offered a complete set of Buffalo nickels (all circulated) in an old whitman folder for $279. This set included a 3 legger. I needed some cash and sold the set for exactly what I paid and have regretted ever since! I do not know what the grade on the 3 legger was but it doesn't really matter anyway!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two coins come to mind.
    The first I sold about 12 years ago was a PCGS AU55 1796 small eagle reverse Bust Dollar. Absolutely unblemished and unreal surfaces with the perfect patina. I still think about that one.

The second was a 1965 Brilliant PCGS MS67 business strike Kennedy. I bought it from Jim Barlow back in 1991 for $300. and sold it about a year later for about that. I don't know it's value today but it was the finest looking NON SMS early Kennedy I'd seen- toned or white. Just a lovely coin.

The Bust dollar bums me out more today but really, that Kennedy was superior too.

peacockcoins

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    1876-s Trade dollar I sold for $52.00 in 1977 or so. It was a very choice BU (didn't use MS-numbers in those days) and would probably go 64-65 today.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a doozer--and it still hurts.

Many years ago I had a double die 1916/16 buffalo in VF I found in circulation before the variety was known. I took it to a coin show and sold it for $5 (ouch)! >>

How long have you been collecting?

Mine would be a PCGS VF36 1916 SLQ that I paid top dollar of 3300.00 for at the time....I traded it towards my first '56 Flyer.
  • Options
    Mine would be a 1909s vdb I paid 100.00 in 1965. Sold it a year later for 200.
    Today it would be a 65 red.image
    Ray
  • Options
    Mine is not that big but I still kick my self, Had 5 99 Silver Proof sets sold them for 150.00 a few years back I figured that they had peaked dang will live and learn.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, these are series stories of woe.

<< <i>I was born and raised in western Massachusetts where I beleive the bulk of the 55DDOs were discovered. >>

Yep, Northampton is were I've heard they mostly originated.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few:

The first was a PCGS Vf-25 1893-s Morgan $ I sold it becuase I upgraded to a PCGS-50. The Vf was truly original and exceptionally nice. Today worth twice what I sold it for. I did well on the PCGS Au-50 when I sold it also, and its probably only worth about another 500-700 more today than when I sold it, but nothing like the Vf example.

The other was a 1916 SLQ in PCGS-45, solid original and exceptional. I would have liked to hold that coin 1 more year before I had to sell it as I could have capitalized on a greater return. I would however not what to be holding it today as prices are retreating on this date with many bargains to be had, and more to come I am afraid. ( I had to sell it to help buy the 01-s quarter I own now)

The other was not so much due to price, but my ignorance. I sold My PCGS-64 1912-s Liberty Nickel about a year ago for what I thought was strong money at the time. The sheets have moved up quite a bit since then on this date, but still not quite to the level I sod it at. However, this coin I kept wondering if I should re-submit it for a shot at 5 and decided against it. Well, I found out that the coin now resides in a 65 holder.

• Options
    Well I havn't sold any, but I did notice that in a book of quarters my great grandmother gave me that she had sold 2 quarters. I believe they were 1932-d and s if I remember correctly. Next to the D slot was the number 150- and there was no coin. Next to the S slot was 60- and there was no coin. So around the mid '80s she sold both of these coins for that much.

I go online and check the prices, and those 2 coins are worth hundreds more...damn..
  • Options
    1889-CC $ PCGS MS62. traded 20 1oz gold eagles sold for 21 1oz gold eaglesimage
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I've sold coins in the early 1990's w/o truly understanding what I had. Most of these coins came from an old coin collection (NOT
    a randon accumulation) put together by a gentleman who died in 1956! The coins appeared in 1991 and sold 1991-94.

Some of these coins include:

1802 (rev. of 02) PCGS VF-30 chocolate brown, absolutely problem-free Half Cent. PCGS graded this coin in 1991 and I sold it in '92 for $4500. The coin is likely in some kind of EF holder today

Several original Seated $1's grading from EF45 to AU58.

2- 1795 Flowing Hair $1's today grading AU53 or AU55 (NGC-58?)
    Sold in 1994 for $5500 & $4300.

Numerous original Seated Liberty coins (10c-50c) in AU & better grades.

NOT FROM THIS COLLECTION, but also from 1992 or 1993
    I bought an 1841 Large Cent as AU. It was obviously PROOF.
    PCGS graded it PR63RB. I sold it for $3100 then. Never have seen a published price guide for this coin. I guess this was the kind
    of coin one "ratholes" for retirement. But not me! Back then since it wasn't a gem BU coin I didn't "value" it like I should have.
    I guess tunnel-vision can be very,very limiting!
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Referring to my previous post, I've since learned to appreciate much rarer more numismatic items. The aforementioned collection (whose compiler died in 1956) is easily the neatest array of coins I've personally been involved in dispersing. I haven't seen anything
    close since.

Please Lord, give me ONE more chance!
  • Options

<< <i>Two (yes, two!) 1955 DDOs that my father had given me from his pocket change in 1957 or so. Sold them to a dealer for $25 each, which to an 11 year old in 1957 was mega bucks. I was born and raised in western Massachusetts where I beleive the bulk of the 55DDOs were discovered. >>

I was born and raised in Western Massachusetts too.

My brother had a GREAT 55DDO he received in change delivery newspapers.

He ended up getting a divorce from a Bltch of a wife who locked him out and stole his coins.

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My brother had a GREAT 55DDO he received in change delivery newspapers.
    He ended up getting a divorce from a Bltch of a wife who locked him out and stole his coins. >>

Inexcusible!image
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    My icon sold in 1981 for $475K and today is worth $10M
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My icon sold in 1981 for $475K and today is worth $10M

Julian - I believe you win!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>...worth A LOT more $ today?image I know this one may hurtimage, but I'm just curious. >>

Everything.... image
  • Options
    julian,
    okay, you win!
    I sold a gorgeously toned au58 1796 quarter for 28k 3 years ago. it would probably sell upwards of 60k today.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Great responses... well not great in the true sense of each scenario, but sort of what I was expecting. I don't have any stories like this regarding coins being that I am only a yearling in the coin hobby. But I've owned and sold quite a few vintage baseball cards some years ago that are worth a lot more $ today, and it bugs the heck out of me. I must keep it all in perspective though because at the time (and that's the key phrase-"at the time") I felt I was getting fair prices for them. As far as some of them go however, if I only knew!image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a doozer--and it still hurts.

Many years ago I had a double die 1916/16 buffalo in VF I found in circulation before the variety was known. I took it to a coin show and sold it for $5 (ouch)! >>

How long have you been collecting?

. >>

About 50 years.
  • Options
    1896 s barber quarter in xf for four brand new bf goodrich tires
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Sold my 1889-CC Morgan in PCGS MS63DMPL. Paid $7,000 for it, sold for $18,000 and now... WOW, new car time!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭
    Sold a pair of PCGS-45 and NGC-40 1802 half dollars in 2002-2003 that would have been much more $ today...
    I also miss picking up a overgraded NGC-53 1802 half in 2002 for $2500... oh well...
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Without making a list, I would say the many XF/AU Capped Bust Half varieties that I sold before they became REDBOOK varieties. Some have tripled in value.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file