Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help needed with value on a 1968-S 5 Cent Coin Die with Details still

I've bought this coin die several years ago, along with other ones. You can still see parts of "LIBER" left over, "986-S" from the date, the "FS" for the designer initials, and the lower portion of Jefferson's bust.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with the value of this die.

Picture attached:

Thanks in advance!
-Ben/OffMetal
-Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA

Comments

• Options

Where's the rest of it...............................................image....
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>Where's the rest of it...............................................image.... >>

They defaced it image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/2 off......so, $0.025 image

Seriously, that's cool. Cooler than you can get a die these days as they grind it completely off now image
    That's my birthyear so it is doubly cool image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    your die is worth 150 dollars or more

these dies where released en masse to the scrap yard after a haphazard passing of a blowtorch over these proof dies obv. and rev. cent dime bick quarter and half

someone picked them out of the scrap heap and well the rest of the story is that the mint takes better care of their used dies they dispose of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well about 30/35 years ago a large coin retailer sold these dies with ads in all the major coin rags

i ordered one a half dollar obverse die with details of the whole date and some dies where rumored to have 90% of their design details intact and these dies where used to make some interesting post mint errors!

a cool coin die

and being an obverse better and being part of the die seen with the date even better

it would not surprise me in the least that this is a great opportunity and not easily replaced

a coin die not properly defaced and released to a scrap year

some dies had details and some less had most of their details left

i would guess with the original advertisement and these where advertisied for months in full page ads back in the early middle 1970's this die could easily sell for $150-$400 in my opinion based on my knowledge of this these coin dies and my great interest and purchase of them from new england rare coin galleries back in the early to mid 1970's

i can even remember the day it came in the mailbox at my parents home and i was excited and it was in a brown poly bag filled with that cut up newspaper stuffing from N.E.R.C.G
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty cool piece to own and Michael, that was terrific information!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i can say from an outsiders point of view, that the defaced die
    has at least a value of 50-100 from almost anybody.

but get it into the faces of coin collectors and its value will soar
    easily above 200.

my two cents
  • Options
    thanks for the kind sentiments expressed tombimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1996, the mint sold off the used commem dies for the Atlanta Olympics. These dies were cancelled with an X machined across the face and 95% of the design is still intact. A unique certificate of authenticity accompanied each die which lists all the stats for that particular die (days used, the press it was used in, the number of strikes, why it was retired, etc). These dies sold out in less than two weeks. They start at about $700 for the most common type (reverse 1996 dollar). They are hard to find in the secondary market but they can be found on ebay on rare occasions. When I ask dealers if they ever get any in, they say they didn't even know that they existed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options

<< <i>your die is worth 150 dollars or more

these dies where released en masse to the scrap yard after a haphazard passing of a blowtorch over these proof dies obv. and rev. cent dime bick quarter and half

someone picked them out of the scrap heap and well the rest of the story is that the mint takes better care of their used dies they dispose of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well about 30/35 years ago a large coin retailer sold these dies with ads in all the major coin rags

i ordered one a half dollar obverse die with details of the whole date and some dies where rumored to have 90% of their design details intact and these dies where used to make some interesting post mint errors!

a cool coin die

and being an obverse better and being part of the die seen with the date even better

it would not surprise me in the least that this is a great opportunity and not easily replaced

a coin die not properly defaced and released to a scrap year

some dies had details and some less had most of their details left

i would guess with the original advertisement and these where advertisied for months in full page ads back in the early middle 1970's this die could easily sell for $150-$400 in my opinion based on my knowledge of this these coin dies and my great interest and purchase of them from new england rare coin galleries back in the early to mid 1970's

i can even remember the day it came in the mailbox at my parents home and i was excited and it was in a brown poly bag filled with that cut up newspaper stuffing from N.E.R.C.G >>

That was a great, informative post, Michael. Thanks! image

<< <i>In 1996, the mint sold off the used commem dies for the Atlanta Olympics. These dies were cancelled with an X machined across the face and 95% of the design is still intact. A unique certificate of authenticity accompanied each die which lists all the stats for that particular die (days used, the press it was used in, the number of strikes, why it was retired, etc). These dies sold out in less than two weeks. They start at about $700 for the most common type (reverse 1996 dollar). They are hard to find in the secondary market but they can be found on ebay on rare occasions. When I ask dealers if they ever get any in, they say they didn't even know that they existed. >>

I've seen those before! I was about to bid on one on eBay, until I saw that I would have no chance against Fred Weinberg. The die ended at about $450.

Thanks everybody for posting imageimage
    Ben
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a letter that I purchased in an auction about 25+ years ago that's from the Director of the Mint in 1973, Mary Brooks, that tells how these dies came to be in the public's hand and further states that they are legal to own.

If anyone that owns one of these dies from 1968 would like a copy of this letter, please PM me with your email address and I'll email a copy to you. I will blurr the address of the original owner of the letter to protect their privacy in case they still live there and to protect the integrity of the original letter.

Mike
  • Options
    Ken Potter purchased a large group of the 968 dies that came on the market and as recently as 2003 he was selling them for $50 each. It took years for him to dispose of that hoard of dies. Frankly if you contact him he may still have dies.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    How/where would we contact Mr. Potter?
  • Options
    Ken Potter
    P.O. Box 760232
    Lathrup Village, MI 48076-0232
    Phone: 1-(313)255-8907 E-mail: KPotter256@aol.com

His website http://koinpro.tripod.com/
  • Options
    northeastcoin has had them on their web site for months during the last two quarters of 2005 for sale

uaually the dies these dies are the least choicest of the dies with smaller demoninations and little to no detail

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file