Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese #33

Whats this going for at auction in a PSA 7 as of late ?
Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.

Comments

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    I looked recently. One sold for $650. There's also a SGC 84 (equiv. of PSA 7) currently up to $825.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are good deals relative to the $915 SMR.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • That is one classic card, Probably one of the best action cards ever made.

I've got a nicely centered 5 - and I agree about the photography. There was a thread about action shots earlier this week - and some speculation about who was sliding into second.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Bosox,

Thats a great lookin' card. Personally, I wouldnt mind a lesser grade provided it was centered and the register was ok like yours.
    I was thinking the same thing when I bought it (and was kicking myself for not buying it years earlier). SMR for a 5 is "only" $400 - I can remember when $50 would buy a real nice one.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I sold gai 8.5 for $3,850 not too long ago(broke out of a sbc 96 holder)

Jim
    The hardest '53 Bowman Reese to find, whether it's a PSA 1 or PSA 10, is one that is not only centered but is without the red dot or other red printing defects in the background.
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    If the player was sliding into second shouldnt his body be facing the other way?

could be a negative....

or just a pose for the photographer...doesnt seem live action to me.

what park would that be?

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    it's a pose, unless the Dodgers were playing without anyone in the outfield that day.

• That pose/action would be logical.... man on second's trying to get back and tag up, I'd assume Reese would be attempting triple play?
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
    That's a monster Lloyd! Is the red dot a common thing?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • The price for that one seems reasonable

<< <i>That's a monster Lloyd! Is the red dot a common thing? >>

I don't think the red dot is as common as say the smudge on a '78 Molitor/Trammel. (I know, the cards are in different leagues but you get my drift.) But I think it's safe to say that the non-spotted copies would bring a premium. Generally speaking, I'd say 50% or so of the Reeses have it.

BTW, yes, that IS a great one that Lloyd's has. $1625 is a very reasonable price for that one if you ask me. It might be worth more if not for the staining on the back- just one MORE thing to worry about with '53 Bowman!
    Memory Lane's PSA 8 is a perfect example of the premium placed on this card when it's centered.

1953 PSA 8 Reese
    Makes Lloyd's Reese look like a real nice deal.

By the way, I have listed my Reese (shown above) on eBay today starting at .99 with no reserve:

eBay Reese Link - .99 w/ no reserve
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    You never know what this card will go for in high grade ... it is on many collectors' lists of cards to get. It was on mine for a few years, and I was finally able to pull the trigger on TWO of them in the same week about 2 years ago. The first is my PSA 6 example, and the other is one of my favorite cards in my entire collection - an autographed version.

JEB.

• VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Oh yeah, no red dot on either of them. Is the red dot that common? I had never really noticed it before.

JEB.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a beauty with NO red spot >>

Sorry Lloyd, but there IS a red spot on that card no?

<< <i>Sorry Lloyd, but there IS a red spot on that card no? >>

I think you're referring to the red dot on the left infield. I've actually never noticed it before but it appears it's on all of them. The red dot that appears on some but not others is in the "sky" to the right of Reese. Llloyd's does not have it. Neither does Memory's which combined with the (near?) perfect centering makes it an easy $2000+ card.
  • TipemTipem Posts: 881

Jeb,

Nice Cards !!

I have an 8 that is almost perfectly centered that I paid $1300 for.Thought it was a good deal.The red dot is very common and one that is centered and no red dot brings quite a premium.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • I may be the only one here who doesn't like the photo. It's a badly staged pose with no outfielders. It's dark on the left and right sides of the photo. Worst of all, the players are too distant in the shot. Very little of the card actually shows Pee Wee, what, 5%?. Incidentally, the player on the ground is Duke Snider.
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    By the sounds of it I'd say you are the only one that doesn't like the picture. I personally think it's one of the coolest baseball cards ever made. Is it really Duke Snider under Reese? Or is that just a rumor?

Jeff
  • gmoneystylesgmoneystyles Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited March 22, 2018 1:42PM

If you're a serious collector, you sometimes measure pursuit in years and decades. Well, this is one of those times. Since I last posted on this 11 years ago, my dog died (pic in avatar - RIP Weezie Tootz McCracken) and I gained two kids and 50 pounds. I also gained this today:

May all your cardboard dreams come true!

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Congrats on your card and kids, and my condolences on your dog. RIP WTM.

Also, 50 pounds in 11 years is only 4.5454 pounds per year. In 40 more years, that would be....um.....well, congrats on your card again!

• RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Your patience paid off .............you got a Beautiful centered card ! Do you have
    a '53 Bowman Set in the Registry ??? Or are you Pee Wee collector ??? Congrats
    on getting your White Whale ! ..........................Robbie >:)

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • gmoneystylesgmoneystyles Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited March 23, 2018 8:42AM

Bobs, after your sobering calculation I've decided to stop using the cream and the clear today and return to my '87 Barry Bonds physique. Thanks for the congrats!

Robby, I don't have a '53 Bowman Registry, I've been trying for the last 18 years to complete the '50 Bowman Baseball in a 7, currently sitting at 17th and around 82% done if I count my SGC stuff too. Once I'm done that, not sure what I'll go to, but the '53 set is definately a possibility! To be honest, I'm surprised the Mantle in a 7 only goes for around 3K, must be double printed I guess? I've always loved this Pee Wee, to me it has to be in the top ten most iconic cards. I'd put a poster up of it somewhere in my house if the wife would let me.

• great card!

• @Derek07 said:
    great card!

Thanks Derek!

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

@gmoneystyles said:
    To be honest, I'm surprised the Mantle in a 7 only goes for around 3K, must be double printed I guess? I've always loved this Pee Wee, to me it has to be in the top ten most iconic cards. I'd put a poster up of it somewhere in my house if the wife would let me.

Agreed on the price of the Mantle, but it's not double printed. Here's a sheet showing it's place on the press.
    The full set has 5 sheets of 32, with no double prints.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Great item Anthony

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al