Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold question

I'll be getting a bonus at work later this month, and I'm considering putting some of it in gold bullion. I've seen several people recommend common date double eagles in place of bullion, and I was wondering what a common markup is over the bullion value. Also, could anyone recommend a dealer that accepts orders for individual coins?

Thanks.
Looking for info on MN national banknotes from New Ulm, Sleepy Eye, Mankato, Hanska, and Lake Crystal. Also Two Harbors, Duluth, Brainerd, and Ely.

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    ebay is too hit or miss. you could always check the inventory of companies like APMEX or something.
    when in doubt, get bullion, maple leafs are pretty good.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is a smaller amount ($10K or less), you'd get far better leverage in silver bullion (100 oz bars). If gold doubles in price from here to over $1000 you'll double your money. But if that occurs, the gold stock indexes will have gone up much more than that...3X or 4X or higher. Silver has the potential to exceed it's former high of $50.
    Gold would have to go to $2500/oz from here to match that.

Gold stock index funds did well last year (50-68%). USAA, Toqueville, Scudder, and others have index-style gold funds. The
    I think USAA did the best the past year and they are a solid company. I have my insurance policies with them.

Plain old gold is a good emergency relief fund if you have to run out the door with all your belongings in tow. having some is a good ideas, silver too.

Your local dealer should be able to help you out. I think higher grade $20 classic gold coins have more potential than bullion. Right now you have to pay around $600 for a one ounce gold coin vs $568 gold.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    wil31, I asked a similar question here about a week or so ago. All good advice. I went with the maples.

Bobk
    Pecunia in arbotis non crescit.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    When it comes to common, generic gold, and if you don't have a relationship with a coin dealer, try your local coin shops. They generally buy bullion and common stuff, and therefore may have it on hand in smaller quanties to sell to you. They'll appreciate your business.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i will never quite understand why gold interests people
    AFTER it already went up. go figure.

good luck on your investment! i also wish for 600 dollar an oz gold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file