Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The life of a Canadian on eBay - shipping charges

I have to get this off my chest. I'm a Canadian and I'm relatively new to graded cards, and as some of you may know I'm attempting to collect a PSA 8 or better rookie from every member of the 1985 Toronto Blue Jays. Well, a well-known company on eBay has recently decided that for a Canadian to purchase a card from them, they must incur the following charges:

1. $3.50 shipping.
2. Buy a U.S. Postal Money order (cost = $4.95)
3. Add an additional $5.00 for them to process the U.S. Postal Money Order.

So let me get this straight. I win an auction for $10. But wait, I know have to add the following:

$3.50 for postage
$4.95 for money order
$5.00 for processing of money order

That's $13.45 in additional charges on a $10 card!

Is it really that risky to ship a card to Canada or process a Paypal transaction?

Comments

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    quit being Canadian..
    ·p_A·
  • You're getting ripped off. You can get a money order from your Canadian bank or the post office that is in $US and drawn on a US bank, so that $5 processing fee is crap. You should also be able to buy an MO for less than $5. I can't help you with the shipping.

As for the risk, yes there is a risk with Paypal, because international packages cannot be tracked through USPS, so sellers are vulnerable to Paypal disputes because they cannot prove the item was delivered.

As a fellow Canadian I feel your pain, but not much you can do.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>quit being Canadian.. >>

What's this Perry? Tough love?

Mike
  • International packages can indeed be tracked via USPS...but you need to use "Global Express" service, not Global Priority.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

What's this Perry? Tough love?

image >>

·p_A·

• I agree. You are getting the Great White North Shaft. Don't give them your business.

This company does not take Paypal I assume. At least their shipping cost is in line.

It costs you $4.95 to purchase a USPS money order in Canada? That bites. Hell I have taken MOs from Australia.

Of course being a Phillies fan I have to mention that Joe Carter is the incubus.

Anyway, I don't drink anymore but thanks for the great beer over the years. image

Good luck with your set.

• << <i>I have to get this off my chest. I'm a Canadian and I'm relatively new to graded cards, and as some of you may know I'm attempting to collect a PSA 8 or better rookie from every member of the 1985 Toronto Blue Jays. Well, a well-known company on eBay has recently decided that for a Canadian to purchase a card from them, they must incur the following charges:

1. $3.50 shipping.

So let me get this straight. I win an auction for $10. But wait, I know have to add the following:

$3.50 for postage
    $4.95 for money order

Is it really that risky to ship a card to Canada or process a Paypal transaction? >>

why not use Money Gram (here's locations in Canada). $1.00 charge here in US (mo can also be sent international)

$5.00 to process US money order? why? Is the seller located outside the US?
    I would understand if seller is outside the US or US sellers charging $5.00 for international MO. My bank charge $20 for international checks (cheques) or MOs but not sure if this also applies to MOs with Bank Clearing house located in US. I stop accepting int'l MOs when they send me a mail about fees on those. Now Bidpay is gone I don't know any other options of international payment. Some countries don't have money gram (traveler's express).

paypal is risky especially on high $$ item because Paypal (to be covered by their protection policy) wants tracking and signature over $250 (below $250 needs only tracking) ship to a confirmed address plus paypal charge sellers on international payments 3.9% +.30 cents. They want online proof, if no online proof and someone files for chargeback you lose the money. So tracking and sig you need FedEx, UPS, Global Express, etc. Shipping from US to other countries cost more than vice versa. I think it's 40% cheaper when I used FedEx going into US.

RIP Snow
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    That's a crock. It actually costs less in postage to ship under 4 lbs to Canada. My bank (Bank of America) doesn't charge anything extra to process checks drawn on US funds, and hell, I'll even take that funny looking Canadian currency since I generally make once a year visits to Vancouver.

I wouldn't give anyone any business who disrepects our Northern Neighbors in the way you describe.
  • jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    OP Do yourself a favor and avoid the jerks who don't understand shipping to our hockey-obsessed neighbors to the North. I ship to Canada, as do many of the responsible collectors around here and on Ebay.

Vote with your feet: Buy our stuff!

• GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    I also ship to Canada, I charge just slightly more for shipping to cover the additional cost of postage
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I know who you are referring to and it is a pain buying from them. I used to pay them via paypal and they always shipped promptly in a box. They must have had some problems shipping to Canada or people abusing the paypal system.

If you really want the card - pay them via paypal and see what happens. If they reject your payment than pay via money order.
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Wow, another Canadian. That'll make three or four of us. Check out how out-numbered we are Writer.. PSA board members on the map link

and miss out on all the Canadian bacon never? Not to mention the beaver! image

• You are getting taken advantage of royally. Also continue being Canadian, we need someone dependable to protect our Northern flank.
    Don't buy if they won't take PayPal.
    Regarding shipping. I bought several items last year from Australia, and the total postage was only$3.60. To top it all off, from the end of auction to arrival of material was eight (8) days. I have had people in neighboring states take longer than that to put something in the mailbox.
  • Generally sellers from the Northern States seem to have a good grasp of shipping to Canada ~~~ it's when you buy from those southern rednecks ~~~that shipping overcharges problems arise.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, another Canadian. That'll make three or four of us. Check out how out-numbered we are Writer.. PSA board members on the map link

and miss out on all the Canadian bacon never? Not to mention the beaver! image >>

Me likes hairy beaver...
  • Quit booing American hockey players and I'll give you break on shipping, hoser. I have a lot of 85 Blue Jays!

• For that price you could buy the cards raw, dirt cheap, and get them graded and still come out ahead. Avoid the "well known dealer" and empower yourself, you hoser! Just kidding. The seller is being unreasonable. Post a list of the '85 BJ's(Yeah a know, its intentional) rookie cards you need and I bet many here will be willing to send you raw copies that would grade an 8 very cheap or at cost. If I have any, they will be free to you. Let me know.

Damian
    Let me try to name the '85 Blue Jays without consulting Google:

C-Ernie Whitt
    1B-Willie Upshaw
    2B-Damaso Garcia
    3B-Garth Iorg/Rance Mulliniks
    SS-Alfredo Griffin
    OF-Bell, Moseby, and Barfield
    DH-Cliff Johnson
    SPs Stieb, Clancy, Key, ???
    RPs Henke, Eichhorn, Ward?

Mgr. Cox?

How did I do? BTW, I am a Yankees fan (in '85 we just couldn't beat you guys), and I had APBA...
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Let me try to name the '85 Blue Jays without consulting Google:

C-Ernie Whitt
    1B-Willie Upshaw
    2B-Damaso Garcia
    3B-Garth Iorg/Rance Mulliniks
    SS-Alfredo Griffin
    OF-Bell, Moseby, and Barfield
    DH-Cliff Johnson
    SPs Stieb, Clancy, Key, ???
    RPs Henke, Eichhorn, Ward?

Mgr. Cox?

How did I do? BTW, I am a Yankees fan (in '85 we just couldn't beat you guys), and I had APBA... >>

I think you're a year early on Eichhorn, but otherwise-- well, I don't know if you're right or not, but that is one hell of an impressive list.
    I think Eichhorn was the 'forgotten' middle man-closer on this team, but, from what I remember, he was pretty good...
  • Hey guys,

Thanks for your help and concern with this shipping and money order shananigan. Let me apologize also for our less than cordial behaviour towards the U.S. hockey team at the World Junior tournament in B.C. I was embarassed to be a Canadian when I was watching that event. The fan's behaviour was inexcusable.

Here's the list of Blue Jays from the 1985 squad. I'm looking for rookie cards not their 1985 cards. I have these cards in raw condition, but I would be interested in purchasing them in PSA 8s and maybe 9s if I can afford them on my pathetically, tight budget.

Catcher
    Ernie Whitt (1978 Topps rookie - his rookie is the second year Dale Murphy card)
    Buck Martinez (have this one - 1970 Topps)

1B
    Willie Upshaw (1979 Topps)

2B
    Damaso Garcia (1981 Topps)

3B
    Rance Mulliniks (have this one - 1978 Topps)
    Garth Iorg (I can't figure out what his rookie card is. I have strained my eyes looking through guides. I believe it is 1978 or 1979 Topps)

SS
    Tony Fernandez (have this one: 1984 Donruss, 1984 Fleer)

LF
    Jorge Bell (have the 1982 Topps, would still like the 1982 Donruss, 1982 Fleer)

CF
    Lloyd Moseby (1981 Topps, 1981 Fleer, 1981 Donruss)

DH
    Jeff Burroughs (1972 Topps)
    Willie Mays Aikens (1980 Topps I think)

Starting Pitchers
    Dave Stieb (have this one 1980 Topps)
    Jim Clancy ( have this one 1978 Topps)
    Doyle Alexander (1972 Topps)
    Luis Leal (1981 Topps)

Relievers
    Tom Henke (1984 Donruss)
    Bill Caudill (1980 Topps)
    Gary Lavelle (1975 Topps)
    Jim Acker (1984 Donruss, 1984 Topps)
    Dennis Lamp (1978 Topps)

There are a number of other minor players that I have to do a little research on before I can list their rookies.

Thanks again.
    Kevin

• lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Kevin,

Re: Garth Iorg Rookie card

1978 Topps # 704.....This is a multiplayer card with Iorg, Dave Oliver ( Indians), Sam Perlozzo (Twins), and Lou Whitaker.

PS I never did pick up that Doyle Alexander PSA 9 from 72......I got outbid.

Jami
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>I have to get this off my chest. I'm a Canadian and I'm relatively new to graded cards, and as some of you may know I'm attempting to collect a PSA 8 or better rookie from every member of the 1985 Toronto Blue Jays. Well, a well-known company on eBay has recently decided that for a Canadian to purchase a card from them, they must incur the following charges:

1. $3.50 shipping.

$3.50 for postage
    $4.95 for money order

Is it really that risky to ship a card to Canada or process a Paypal transaction? >>

I'll buy an item for you, anytime! I got a huge box of recycled bubble mailers, and regular postage to Canada, maybe a buck or less? So I'll be happy to do you a favor, anytime. So your example of a $10 item, plus $3.50 S&H, just make it $14.50! (I have to stand in line at the post office "every other day" anyway! So, my pleasure to help u out! To help out a fellow collector from the "Great North Country" is cool with me!)

...just PM me if I can help u!

rbd
  • Thanks rbd ...

What a great bunch of guys on here! That's what makes me want to take guys like Norm - The Pete Maravich dealer down!

• The seller he is talking about i assume is 4SC or one of there alter ego's . They use to accept paypal but i imagine they got jerked around by one or two crooks so they stop allowing paypal to Canada. I agree that paypal has created a dilema for US shippers but sometimes common sense should prevail. I have over 3400 positives on ebay from 1700 different people with no negatives im not going to rip anyone off . I probably won 100-200 auctions of theres over the last 2 years but no longer bid on there auctions . As pointed out in the first post it just too much of pain for the low dollar type of auctions they often run. Many other sellers are more than happy to take my money

Randy