Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you won a $225 million Powerball, how much would you spend on coins?

I have a feeling you could put me down for $10 million easy. My nickname would be "Finest known."

Comments

• Options
    $50,000,000 at least. Probably more.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    As much as I felt like spending.

added: In other words, millions...10? 20? 30? more? I am quite sure my modest tastes would expand along with my checkbook image
  • Options
    A moderate 5 million. image
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'd blow a couple of thousand for kicks, before thinking long and hard about what I want my life to look like and how to get there with the resources available. Having a large, very expensive coin collection may or may not fit in with that vision--probably not.
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    I would buy all of the sacagawea's made that year, melt 90% of them, and sell the rest at an insane price. image
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt have a set amount. Considering that I have my whole life ahead of me, I would want to save most of the money. It doesnt mean I wouldn't have fun with it, but I probably wouldnt be spending millions on coins. I would probably spend about the same amount I spend now.. maybe a bit more.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    200 Million
  • Options
    I would concentrate on buying whole collections or hoards so as not to just run off bidding up prices on all kinds of stuff.
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    to be quite honest I dont have any idea how much would be spent on coins... theres too many people that I would want to give a nice chunk of the 250 mil away to... family and friends come before coins. I can say that it wont be more than 1 mil
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably around 10 million... It would take me a LONG time to spend 10 million.

J
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldnt have a set amount. Considering that I have my whole life ahead of me, I would want to save most of the money. It doesnt mean I wouldn't have fun with it, but I probably wouldnt be spending millions on coins. I would probably spend about the same amount I spend now.. maybe a bit more. >>

ha ha ha...............150 mil (net)would last many lifetimes.........save it?......LOL
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would seek out the finest known 1792 half disme & pay the price for it. Since being the owner of one of them ( in any condition ) is the ultimate goal in my hobby life I've never given thought to what would come next.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i would probably have to rethink what coins i would want to collect.
    with that kind of money, nothing is out of reach.
    easy million or two on super deluxe finest known half eagles.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭
    After taking care of my financial respnsibilites and a little charity donation, I would probably go nuts until my accountant shut me down! image

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a feeling you could put me down for $10 million easy. My nickname would be "Finest known" >>

"Finest known" what? image

Kidding. image

If a serious buyer actually did show up for that Coin, I think the price wouldn't be $10,000,000.00 after all. The story would be, " well, we just thought that might be a good starting point - now the price would probably be closer to $25,000,000.00 ". image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably around 10 million... It would take me a LONG time to spend 10 million.

J >>

Not me. I'd buy the King of Siam proof set and the Specimen 1794 dollar which would wipe out the $10 Million real fast.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Assuming after tax it would come roughly to $113 Million, or half, you could put it in the bank at a measly 4% interest rate and still walk away with a cool 4.52 mil per year. So that's what I would do.

Now, I could easily live on only 2 mil a year. Maybe slightly more in the first year as I upgrade to a nice house and a nice car perhaps. So, I would maybe put a million into coins each year and bank the rest so next year I will earn more.

Naturally, the interest rate would be greater than 4% but I am assuming the taxes would take it down to about that level.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lump sum payout on 225 mil would be about 120 mil then taxes on top of that so you mite end up with 70 mil net. At my age I would take the lump sum. I would set aside a third for family and a rainy day then spend the rest on fun coins or whatever. I would retain a few secret agents to do my serious coin buying for me. image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    I would spend about 1/4 of it on coins.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    224 million. ;-)
  • Options
    i'd come to the coin show flossin so much cash
    dealers would be selling like border town hustlers

ahhhhh... it would be nice
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Probably around 10 million... It would take me a LONG time to spend 10 million.

J >>

Not me. I'd buy the King of Siam proof set and the Specimen 1794 dollar which would wipe out the $10 Million real fast. >>

NOT IF I GOT THERE 1ST THAT'S WHAT I WOULD BUY THE SIAM SET AND EVERY RAINBOW TONED MORGAN ANACONDA OWNS image
    ANA 1197201
    Vietnam Vet 69-70 - Semper Fi
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    With $225 Million I would dissappear off the grid, buy real estate in a couple choice locations based on where I would love to live at different times of the year. First order of business would be to build a walk in Safe with display cases and great lighting, temperature controlled.Then I would take ten million and build an unc set of half cents, and bust halfs, finished my Morgan dollar set,....build an incredible Numismatic library,.....wow what a pipe dream. Oh yeah and I would be in no rush to do it....

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

I would do some serious talking to JustHavingFun to see if maybe he would be willing to sell his amazing Jefferson collection. Keeping something like that properly maintained would be an awesome responsibility image

KJ

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    First thought would be a lot. But, just because I have the money to spend, doesn't mean that the coins I want are on the market for sale. Laura would probably be one of my first calls to see what she knew of.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my first and largest purchase would be a home
    coins would have to come somewhere lower in importance but the ones I would buy would be nice ones and I would not have a set budget
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $10,000 immediately.

Then, $100,000 over the next three years.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I would imagine that hobbies like coin collecting would take a back seat for awhile as I got adjusted to being a multi millionaire.
    After that, I could see myself dropping some nice "coin" on coins, among other things.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    "If you won a $225 million Powerball, how much would you spend on coins?"

Is that $225 Million before or after taxes?

Jim
  • Options
    Ahhh, I love the good old "Win the Lottery" day dream. We would hire a good financial guy we like and set it up so we had a good income with very conservative investments. Then we would travel 1st class around the world at our own pace. Our new houses (probably 2, maybe 3) would need to be decorated so we would buy some fine art.

I'd find some interesting theme and display some interesting coins in each house I owned. Say a type set of gem gold for example. Then I'd sell it and put together another set for display. Eventually I would like to have most of the famous coins pass through my hands.

I have a ticket for todays California Super Lotters which promises around 83 mill. I wish you all luck!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25% of what remained after taxes.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you won a $225 million Powerball, how much would you spend on coins? >>

ALL OF IT!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    What ever it takes to buy up all the 1894-S dimes.

Steve, the barber dime guy.
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • Options
    Not much more than I do now. For me a $20 coins is just as impressive as many five figure coins. To be honest my coin collecting would probably suffer, cause Id be playing golf everyday.
  • Options
    Take a lump sum of 120 mil, (the tax is already taken out of the full amount- so you do get the 120 mil).
    1- 3 homes in the best climatic areas in the country California, Florida, Hawaii. I picked Cali n Florida for the bass fishin, Hawaii- cuz it is downright beautiful.- there goes 3 mil., balance- 117 mil.
    2- 6 new vehicles- 2 for each home- 1 fer mom 1 fer me
    3- 2 new 21 ft bass boats - loaded 35K each
    4- 3 new Harley soft tails- at each home
    5- World tour fer mom and the furkids- and me in tow(w/travelin bass boat)
    6- complete Morgan set in MS67- All 117 coins for the Variety- Laura will be my slave for 1 full year getting this accomplished, at miinmum wage of course.
    7- complete set of Barbers, Walkers, Franklins in MS68 and Proof- I'll ask Rick to get on this one.
    8- All the Saints INCLUDING the 33 in ms65 or better- I'll put Guru to work at minimum wage to 'geterdone'- 1 year
    9- I'll ask Lord Stewart to assemble the best penny collection- I'll pay him handsomely for his time.
    10- set 30 mil in a interest bearing acct of 7%, and use this to pay the bills each year- easily.
    11- then mom can have what she wants
    12- oh I would have 5 more scotties runnin around the house.

that should cover the first year, we will see what we want to do the second time we hit the powerball.

A nice pipe dream I must say.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    The value of things would lose all meaning to me. Part of the fun for me is looking through a bunch of trashy coins looking for the few overlooked gems. I'd probably start buying key date coins and sending them through those elongation machines out of boredom.
  • Options
    I would invest every dime of it a little at a time picking up coins at good prices, then in yrs to come this investment would be worth multiples of the initial 225 mil. image
  • Options
    I would quite possibly give up collecting. It loses a lot of its interest when you can buy almost anything you want.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would spend about 25 million on classic rarities as they came available and 75 million on American art (the kind that goes on walls). 25% to charity - any taxes due?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would quite possibly give up collecting. It loses a lot of its interest when you can buy almost anything you want. >>

I have heard this before from some well-to-do collectors.

I would not have that problem, however. I'd probably spend about 25% of the after tax take on coins, but I'd do it discreetly and wouldn't be throwing it around in a very public way.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would call Laura and say, "how much you want for that nickel?" image

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I'd probably start buying key date coins and sending them through those elongation machines out of boredom. >>

Thta is an awesome answer! hahahah! TRULY shocking!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After the gummint confiscates its illicit share of a lump sum payout, I'm left with about $65M. I'm thinking $20-30M in a personal numismatic endowment that would enable me to spend $1-1.5M a year building up nice collections for which Heritage would give me my own "Platinum Night" every several years.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Take a lump sum of 120 mil, (the tax is already taken out of the full amount- so you do get the 120 mil). >>

Nope!! 120 mil would be the amount they would invest to sustain the payments over the 25 or 30 years the payments would run. If you take the lump sum yu get 120 mil not 225 mil so after tax yer 120 mil jackpot would get cut in half.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Let's just say dealers and auction houses would image me VERY much!image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭
    I'd spend 22.5 million on coins. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Build the finest Buffalo.. Bust Quarter and Half, and Proof Morgan Collection.
    Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about. -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Three goals for me:
    1. The very best $2.5 Indian gold collection known to man and one that would be very difficult to surpass.
    2. Ditto for Buffalo nickels.
    3. Build the finest numismatic library possible. Purchase the rarest one-of-a-kind treasures and store them carefully. There are a handful of books that are practically as rare as any coins.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had that kind of money I would probably spend less overall time thinking about coins.

the fewer coins would be a lot nicer though image

I'd get all the early types in gold, all the silver with the small eagles, all the tough 1793 copper, a few patterns and colonials..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you won a $225 million Powerball, how much would you spend on coins? >>

If I really had a big chunk of cash like that I'd spend nothing on Coins. For me, Coins are just a diversion from my dull job that requires very little in the way of physical exertion. Also, with Coins, I'm hoping to multiply what little cash I have to spend on them.

With multiple millions, I'd first quit my job. I'd wouldn't have a need to make money. Why would I need to buy Coins? Just a big waste of time.

Travel interests me most of all. During my travels I might visit a museum or two. If there were Coins in the Museums, of course I'd take a look. But BUY Coins? Why?

My new hobby? Collecting Gold-Digger Babes. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file