Home Metal Detecting
Options

Back in business! (in Denmark)

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
Greetings!

I finally made my first hunt of the year, in Copenhagen, Denmark. It’s been a close call with the weather (temp hovering around the freezing point)..

The purpose of this first hunt was twofold:
1) Dig some coins, any coins!! (much needed fix after a few weeks break)
2) Familiarize myself with some of the coinage in an easy to dig location – I’ll be here for some time, so I'll have plenty of chances to look for older stuff too

I arrived in Denmark Saturday evening. It was only about 5pm, but very dark already. I figured I’d have time to do some quick hunting/prospecting before other evening activities, so I was almost assembling the detector already in the elevator on my way up to my hotel room.. A quick change of clothes and I was out again image

This time of the evening it gets darker by the minute.. here I’m arriving at a beach. Fortunately there was a full moon, which helped quite a bit

After having found a few coins (target recovery was a bit slow in the dark, and the sand was a bit frozen on the top too) I called it a day.

The next day…

Now then… three common Danish coin denominations (1, 2 and 5 Kroner) are holed, which is a major pain for detecting… As always in a new country, I was struggling a bit with my detector settings at first. After a while I found an appropriate discrimination level (each country seems to have certain characteristic trash targets!), but couldn’t help the fact that the three holeys mostly ring up at VDI +16, +22, and +28 respectively – often with somewhat broken signals, so needless to say I dug tons of trash looking for them..

I didn’t find anything spectacular, so I won’t bore you with details…
Here’s the whole lot from Sunday (+a few coins from Saturday night)

No significant keeper coins found, but here are few close-ups anyway:

Roosie clad dime, 1987D – my first US coin larger than a cent. I’m very slowly building a dug type set of US coins image As of now it consists of a wheatie, zincoln, and now this Roosie.

Danish 20 Kroner coin, 2004. These are the highest face value coins I’ve dug so far.
With current exchange rates, a 20 Kroner coin is worth $3.25 image

Danish 5 Kroner coin, 1997. The largest coin of the holeys family (1 and 2 kronor coins look similar, just smaller). These bad boys regularly put my detector into “overload” image

Some sort of token… I haven’t figured this one out yet, but it looks to have a replica of an (older type) 20 Kroner coin on the reverse, so probably has a value of 20 Kr ($3.25) for whatever it’s used for

The ring towards the back of the summary picture is just junk, but in a moment of boredom I took a picture of it nevertheless.. So much for giving Riccar a good run for his money in the jewelry polls.. image

The good news: If one is looking for high face value coins, Denmark is one of the best places there is. With today’s exchange rate, this haul is worth $46.73 image Average value per coin: $0.64

I'll try to get some old stuff next time!!

Happy hunting!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    Zot,

Nice pics and story. Can't wait to see how the rest of your trip to Denmark goes. That's pretty funny how you are finding fairly current US coinage there.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice finds Zot... and a good chunk of change you picked up there. Nice to have a
    hobby that pays.

Looking forward to seeing your next gold ring... considering the stuff you're digging
    (and those locations), should be soon! image By the way, I bet that junk
    ring was still a fun find. Those are a nice break when I'm digging up rotten zincs!
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Thats a lot of nice looking coins there! I large group of them look to be in great shape.
    Man you could really pay off a detector quick digging up pocketfulls of cash like that! Kind wait to see what else you find out there and a Danish critter or two.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Wow, that's a chunk-o-change.
    I think my average is less than 20 cents per hour.
  • Options
    Nice haul Zot!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    You should be able to eat for free while you're there if you keep this up.image

Great pics and post as always!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage