Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strangly colored 1860 IHC?? What do you think?? (Answer provided)

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
If I showed you the coin at FUN, please don't reply! image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say recolored...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    it is dirty, give it a rinse in distilled water. :-)
  • Options
    Retoned over corrosion?
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not some pattern struck in bronze, is it?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Judging the rim condition I'd say that it was a jewelry piece at some point and so is thumbed. Color is most likely original as there would be little to be gained recoloring a common date, it's condition notwithstanding.

Edited to add: Just noticed that it was the pointed bust vairety, so perhaps not so common after all.....hummmmm on recolored????
    Oh boy...this could be a bad thing.........image
  • Options
    The coin looks beautiful to me. At least a pr66 judging from the photo. Nice find. image matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    americancopper,

what does one look for to find a pointed bust variety?
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Looks like there might be some PCGS TruView background that wasnt cropped out image
  • Options
    FC - The 1860 had two obverse varieties one has a rounded bust (most common) and the other was pointed. Lakesammman's is the pointed bust...this is the rounded bust......image
  • Options
    hey thanks, i can easily tell the difference. now if i can just keep in mind
    the date 1860. could be useful some day.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Aren't 1860 Indian cents suppose to be made of copper nickel ?

Stewart

• Options
    The PB variety was the less common variety of the year.

You guys are pretty warm. True view?? Man you have sharp eyes. I can't see that. What are you looking at?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    AmericanCopper,

That sure is a nice IHC image. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Oh yes...I forgot to mention...Image of my IH is Russ's doing.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops! I always thought the pointed bust and rounded bust differences didn't happen until 1864, the first year for the bronze coins. It almost looks like this 1860 coin was struck in bronze. Since the rims seem to be slightly impaired, is it possible someone played around with a pointed bust 1864 coin to make it look like a 1860 pattern coin? I'm not IHC expert by any stretch, but I'm confused!
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The suspense is killing me!!image
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>If I showed you the coin at FUN, please don't reply! >>

Well, you didn't show it to me at FUN, so I'll guess a copper or bronze trial die strike - don't my Judd or Pollack handy, but I'd also guess it's listed there.

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    J-265 is what you're referring to, I believe. It's the regular dies trial piece in copper.

I'm a bit thrown off by the weak denticles, I must admit.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be curious to know the diameter and weight of the coin.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't have Full Bell Lines.. image
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I vote for some exotic alloy, not the standard 12% Nickel and 88% copper.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Boiler78 was kind enough to provide the following description from a 1983 auction appearance.

Here is the lot description from the 1983 George D. Hatie sale:

Lot 1594 1860 pattern cent J-265 (tentative). J-265 is a regular die trial piece struck in copper rather than copper nickel. The present piece, from the Palace collection of King Farouk of Egyp (auctioned in 1954) was described as a copper trial piece, but the present writer is not positive of this attribution. The coin has a dark steel blue and brown surface with traces of a copper tinge, but in the absence of cleaning and destructive analysis it is not possible to determine whether this is a business strike which has somehow toned in this manner or whether it indeed is struck in copper. The obverse and reverse rims are very unusual and may have beed filed down at an early date, perhaps after striking. The thickness is the same as a copper nickel planchet. Choice Uncirculated MS 65, deeply toned as noted. We offer this lot with the full description as preceding, not guaranteeing an attribution to J-265. The weight of 66.1 grains is inconclusive due to the edge filing, as noted.

It was tested by PCGS recently and found to be 100% Copper. So, it appears to be the (probably unique) pointed bust die trial J265.

I was delighted to be offered the coin at FUN. It grades PCGS P66 (previously P63 in a 11/1992 sale but the "crud" has been removed in the interval. image).
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the coin looked more like a business strike than a proof when I examined it at the FUN show. The PCGS holder stated that the coin was 100% copper so I assume it was tested and the lot description from the 1983 auction mentions that the planchet was the same thickness as a copper nickel coin so aparently it is a genuine J265 and very rare as such. (possible the only example)

I would love to know why it was struck. There is not enough difference in the metal for it to be a fantasy piece and why make only 1 piece? Is it possible that this is a mint error? Does anyone know if the mint was striking copper coins of similar size for any foreign countries at that time??
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I like it. Wish all the cents from that time looked like that.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looked to me like the planchet was filed and then struck. The wavyness in the strike along the edge also suggests that. There are no Proof dies known for the pointed bust, so it is doubly unique (or more accurately a mist@ke on PCGS's part ) (had to use code so I so get knocked off the board for saying....)

It's a great coin, 1860 PT1, unique. A great find Tim!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file