Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting tidbit - Symbolism in coinage

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
We all know that many coins have 13 stars on them to represent the original 13 colonies. Did you realize though that the motto "E PLURIBUS UNUM" has 13 letters in it? Also, "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" has 13 different letters in it. I just read this in a coin book (some of you can guess which one I'm sure).

Do you think this is all coincidence? Are there any other less than obvious references to 13 on coinage?

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you posted this on Friday the 13th.... eerie! image
  • Options

<< <i>And you posted this on Friday the 13th.... eerie! image >>

HA! No chit! I didn't even realize that. I wonder if this thread will die at 13 replies? LOL
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Ooh, And....

In God we Trust +1

has 13 alphanumeric characters in it!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you add a 1 to the number 12 you get.....you guessed it # 13
    This is heavy stuff......
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Oooh, and if you pay for something that costs $0.77 with a Dollar, you get back 13 Cents!
  • Options

<< <i>Oooh, and if you pay for something that costs $0.77 with a Dollar, you get back 13 Cents! >>

PLUS a dime!! image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooh, and if you pay for something that costs $0.77 with a Dollar, you get back 13 Cents!

LOL!
  • Options

<< <i>Oooh, and if you pay for something that costs $0.77 with a Dollar, you get back 13 Cents! >>

Priceless image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    this thread was starting to really scare me.. I was waiting for someone to bring up the illuminati
    or the trilateral commission...
    until the 13 cents thing image then I just LAUGHED !

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...............and someone will be the 13th reply to this thread, wow, is that spooky!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    ..............and someone will be the 13th reply to this thread, wow, is that spooky!!!!!!!!!!

It's the next guy.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Its about world domination by aliens!!!!image
    We all must agree or be obliterated..image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as long as the combined IQ for all posters is not ... 13
  • Options

The Devil made me do it...............!!!!!!!!!...........image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>The Devil made me do it...............!!!!!!!!!...........image >>

You didn't do it. It was Glavin.

That's why I posted 12th and said it's the next guy.

The devil lied to you.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options
    Do some research on the free masons and just possibly some of this may come to light. Good luck !

Freak
  • Options
    free masons are spooky
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rumor has it- The 13'th Free Mason was struck by lightning while hanging the star (a 6 pointer no less) on the top of his Christmas tree.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>free masons are spooky >>

Not nearly as spooky as all the whacko conspiracy cultists who fill the web with gigabytes of zaniness and off the wall nonsense about Freemasonry.

They were educated men in a time when reading and writing were uncommon traits. Most, if not all, of our Founding Fathers were Masons.

The Masons initial goal was to push humanity towards it's potential. I believe it still is.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The word motto starts with the 13th leter of the alphabet.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    The number 13 appears ... 17 times in this thread, so far, co-winkidink? I think not!
  • Options
    Since this thread is still alive, and it has been mentioned in an earlier post.

Does anyone know why Friday the 13th has been labled as a "bad luck" day. (hint: it has nothing to do with the movie)

Freak
  • Options

<< <i>Since this thread is still alive, and it has been mentioned in an earlier post. Does anyone know why Friday the 13th has been labled as a "bad luck" day. (hint: it has nothing to do with the movie) Freak >>

no
  • Options

<< <i>Since this thread is still alive, and it has been mentioned in an earlier post.

Does anyone know why Friday the 13th has been labled as a "bad luck" day. (hint: it has nothing to do with the movie)

Freak >>

It has something to do with a guy who was burned at the stake on a Friday the 13th way back in the year 1314. At least I seem to recall something to that effect. The guy was some sort of cult/religeous leader. Perhaps a google search is needed. I remember thinking it odd that the year wasn't 1313.
  • Options
    Very close Deadhorse. I actually picked you to know. Here it is :

" on Friday October 13,1307,the Knights Templar were arrested in France under the edict of Phillip IV, with the Pope`s blessing.this has been considered a unlucky day since." The knights Templar today is the Free Masons.

Freak

• Options

<< <i>Very close Deadhorse. I actually picked you to know. Here it is :

" on Friday October 13,1307,the Knights Templar were arrested in France under the edict of Phillip IV, with the Pope`s blessing.this has been considered a unlucky day since." The knights Templar today is the Free Masons.

Freak >>

Aha! Found this--------> Jacques de Moley was tried and burned at the stake for being a heretic. This was a secret move by the
    Priory of Sion to get even for betraying them in the trust of their Gold. This persecution actually happened and it occured on Friday March 13, 1314.
  • Options
    Aha! Found this--------> Jacques de Moley was tried and burned at the stake for being a heretic. This was a secret move by the

You da man ! image

Freak
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Pretty cool!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Hey this thread sure did grow some legs
  • Options
    Wow, that sure was an STman post. As soon as I said it grew legs it died lol
  • Options
    sethbsethb Posts: 27 ✭✭

<< <i>Oooh, and if you pay for something that costs $0.77 with a Dollar, you get back 13 Cents!

-------------------------
    Thiggy Fresh

The Uncensored Open Forum (Post there if you're feeling like acting up, not here.)
    Support NORML >>

Perhaps too much time supporting NORML?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file