Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Lincoln set, Raw or Slabbed????

I got a Lincoln Dansco album for Christmas and I've been having fun finding some nice ones to fill it with. I've been thinking whether I wanted to either sell my Slabbed set and use the money to buy new raw ones, crack out the dates I dont have in the album and sell the rest, or keep two sets; one raw and one slabbed. What do you guys think?

Edited to add: My goal for this set is to have all of them in at least MS63RB. I might find that a little too unrealistic and go for lower grades for the keys.

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I chose for you to do both.
    I'd not, however, put red coins in a Dansco. Too much of a gamble for a change to brown or unattractive toning, IMHO.
    Just my $0.02...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago I actually put together a complete set of Lincolns in a Dansco, Red and RB.
    It was really impressive. Most of the red coins are now RB and many others are now brown.
    As much as I love the set, it was a big mistake. Don't think I will ever put MS copper in an album again.
    Larry

• Options
    If I buy one of those sleaves that dansco sells will that stop them from toning brown?
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I buy one of those sleaves that dansco sells will that stop them from toning brown? >>

I'm not sure. It's also possible Dansco has improved their albums over the years.image
    Larry

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I buy one of those sleaves that dansco sells will that stop them from toning brown? >>

Intersept shield makes a coin album that won't tone the coins.

I voted for raw and slabbed collection.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Continue the slabbed collection in MS63RB and higher, and fill the album with nicely matched XF/AU coins. It will be more affordable, more attainable, you won't have to worry about the coins turning, and the filled book will look really nice when completed.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Continue the slabbed collection in MS63RB and higher, and fill the album with nicely matched XF/AU coins. It will be more affordable, more attainable, you won't have to worry about the coins turning, and the filled book will look really nice when completed. >>

I've very nearly completed my run of small cents from 1857-1933, almost exclusively EF/AU. Nice, original coppers look wonderful in an album displayed raw.

There are exceptions; the 14-D, for example -- I still have mine slabbed in PCGS AU-50. I plan to buy a F/VF specimen to put in the album as a placeholder in the $200-300 range, because I don't want to crack this out given that the value nearly doubles from EF to AU. I don't have an SVDB yet, but if I get one, I'd probably crack it out if I'm certain of authenticity because of how slowly the value rises with grade in that grade range. I also cracked out my 1877 since I was sure of its authenticity. The grade listed was NGC 40, but that was optimistic and it's probably a very nice VF-35. But I paid VF-20 money for it anyway and I never plan to sell it, so...
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful buying raw key date coins for obvious reasons.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I keep two sets, proofs slabbed and MS raw; reasoning: It's easier to protect the delicate surfaces of the proofs.

I shoot for the MS65+ RD range, but I keep them in 2x2's for now... maybe in a few weeks I'll move them to intercept's product.

...I would like to say I started out this way, but I started out with slabbed proofs at first (I thought they looked prettier), but after a while, MS coins seemed "more real", so I moved to raw coins.

...I would think RD coins would tone too quickly in an album.

~g image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't keep a mint state set of Lincolns in an album, the surfaces are too unstable for me.
  • Options
    I am having second thoughts about the album. I think I will just do it in AU for the pre 1935 dates and in MS for post 1935.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file