Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

AT/NT? Grade? How much would you pay?

1890-o Morgan. Typical softer strike above the ear and on the breast feathers. Great luster.

AT/NT?

Grade?

How much would you pay?

imageimage
BigD5
LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    AT. Looks fried to me
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    ...............image...............image
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Ok, you say AT. Fine, I dip it.

Now grade it, and what would you pay. image

You can't get off that easy. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    ........AU....around $50.00........JMO.........image
  • Options
    I've been collecting Morgan since 1959--that would be before most AT existed. I can not tell, and don't think many others besides Steve Halperin, DH, or Wayne Miller can even give a good guess from a computer picture. Please describe the color differences, if any, in the Liberty headband letters by depth of strike; as well as the same for the letters, date, etc --then compare the colors on obverse/reverse at the same point, then the color shade merging-is it abrupt??---Then please describe if the color sequence at 8X power---- is natural looking in order and if some colors seem thickly laid on?? If there is die wear how does the color sit in the higher points of the striations, and of coarse the indentations between the denticles --any color variation there???

I wouldn't ask all this---- but said you actually wanted do know!!!!--and no one can answer this but the person holding the coin. I won't pay for or grade a coin without seeing it in hand--to answer your other 2 questions.
    morgannut2
  • Options

<< <i>I've been collecting Morgan since 1959--that would be before most AT existed. I can not tell, and don't think many others besides Steve Halperin, DH, or Wayne Miller can even give a good guess from a computer picture. Please describe the color differences, if any, in the Liberty headband letters by depth of strike; as well as the same for the letters, date, etc --then compare the colors on obverse/reverse at the same point, then the color shade merging-is it abrupt??---Then please describe if the color sequence at 8X power---- is natural looking in order and if some colors seem thickly laid on?? If there is die wear how does the color sit in the higher points of the striations, and of coarse the indentations between the denticles --any color variation there??? >>

Totally agree. I'm not ready to proclaim AT from that picture. I've seen similar, I own similar. Though not both sides like that. I doesn't quite have that overall "fried" look to me.

Again, one really needs to have the coin in hand along with a loup to give a qualified AT/NT opinion.

Grade? Probably 55-58 AU.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm far from an expert but the colors look like a coin thats been in an envelope to me. As for grade its impossible to tell if thats just a weak strike or wear on the high points. If I'm buying from that pic only I'd call it AU58 and pay accordingly, certainly no premium for the toining IMO.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    I will guess MS-62 on grade, but I really don't know the value.
  • Options
    MS-62. I think the strike is just weak and that is not wear. I don't know the value, though.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree totally with coinbuf one this one....I'd spend $30 on it if I couldnt see it in hand first...
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭
    Shake-N-Bake.............

TorinoCobra71

• Options

<< <i>MS-62. I think the strike is just weak and that is not wear. >>

I thought that at first till I looked closer at the rim dings and flat spot at 12 o'clock high. It is a typical weak strike, but I'd have to go with AU.

Again, tough from the picture.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    MS-62 or 63 assuming no breaks in luster. It is impossible to tell what the luster looks like from that scan.

From "reading the scan" that appears to be a NT target toner, however, a photo would give a better indication as to NT/AT. Of course, there is no subsitute for seeing the coin in hand.
  • Options
    Ok. Morgannut......we're not writing a thesis here. image

Look at the coin and what goes through your mind? There is no right or wrong answer. The coin is raw, and hasn't been submitted. I have my own opinions, but thought it might be interesting to see/hear what some on the board may have to say.

Of course looking at the coin in hand would be the preference, but we can't do that, SO make a guesstimate. That's all a grade is anyway, no? image

There is no rim ding on this coin, and the coin is unc, so scrap the au guesses. There is just a soft strike, obv. and rev.

Greysheet values: ms/60-$42, ms/63-$83, and ms/64-$242 this one isn't going to grade higher than that, so we'll stop there.

Have some fun, live a little and take some guesses. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Forgot about this one.

I figured this coin as AT when I bought it. Purchased it from someone at the Bay State show walking the floor with some "extras" from their collection. He had a bunch of items, decent stuff, and then this coin. He wanted $50 for it, because of the AT factor. I thought it was a sharp coin, quality wise, under the smoke job. I figured for basically ms/60 money, I couldn't lose.

A dip and submission later...........

imageimage

Just goes to show you have to look close at some of this stuff as the coin itself can be a winner. Really, there aren't any major marks to speak of, and the coin is very flashy. Weakly struck, or typically struck for the date.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll toss out an MS63 grade even with the fuzzy photos. I think it's natural tone NT as well. Probably dipped once and then retoned in an album, envelope, 2x2, or something. Just a guess and mho.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭
    That there aint natural.....

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    Nice work, Big d!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights