Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone here remember CCP?

Just wondering if anyone here remembers CCP (Current Card Prices), or if this was a regional distribution thing? For my area, this was THE Bible for dictating card prices back in the day...

Mark

Comments

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    yeah i remember it.. just a regular newspaper type magazine right? no glossy cover or anything like that?
    ·p_A·
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, the cover was black and another color, which changed every month. A diamond would be placed next to a card if it was really hot (one or two diamonds per month). I think I remember the McGriff rookie getting this designation once. I would anticipate going to the card shop every month to pick up the new issue. Thanks for the memories.

Don
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I remember it also. I may even have a few copie in my attic.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>yeah i remember it.. just a regular newspaper type magazine right? no glossy cover or anything like that? >>

Yep, very 'plain jane' book, no frills, but I used to pick this up religiously the first day it would come out. I remember the diamonds designation, as well. I'm sure the Kevin Maa's and Gregg Jefferies's of the world had many diamonds assigned to them at one point in their career!

Mark
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I also still have a couple...if I ever come across them I'll give you a couple of scans for kicks!
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    It was, at the time, the best price guide going. Much better than SCD or Beckett in terms of proving accurate prices.

<< <i>A diamond would be placed next to a card if it was really hot (one or two diamonds per month). >>

i remember that too.. great stuff..

i also used to buy those nice color price guides that usually had the retro or "vintage topps-style" cards inserted.. those cards are awesome..
    ·p_A·
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    Pandrews,

Wasn't that BCM (Baseball Card Magazine)? I believe the first cards in that magazine was 1955 Mantle and Banks. Anybody remember those? After doing a few vintage reproductions, they then placed current players on vintage formats (I think).

Don
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

<< <i>Pandrews,

Wasn't that BCM (Baseball Card Magazine)? I believe the first cards in that magazine was 1955 Mantle and Banks. Anybody remember those? After doing a few vintage reproductions, they then placed current players on vintage formats (I think).

Don >>

yep, i think that was the one.. i could always find it at the grocery store magazine rack, but the card shops didnt carry it, they only carried beckett and CCP..

i might still have some out in my building stashed away, i dunno..
    ·p_A·
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah memory lane.

I have a bunch of mags and pubs that were price guides that are now gone, gone, gone.

If I ever find them - it would be nice if we were to post them.

I have one that has no pics or gloss or anything - can't remember the name - picked it up at a small show - guy had an extra.

My oldest SCD only goes back to like 89.

If you look at an SCD around 1991-2, it is loaded with new card wax box sales!

I'm glad I didn't buy 1990, 1, 2 by the cases like some did. I know a guy who still can't get rid of the 1990 Donruss cases he has.

Does anyone have a copy of CCP to scan? Wasn't it black and white only?

mike
    Mike
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Since you are going down memory lane do any of you remember the Renata Galasso (not sure of the spelling) magazines that used to be produced...there were even some issues that had reprint cards in them.....
    Damn, I think I have all these magazines at my parents...INCLUDING Renata Galasso magazines! I am visiting them next week so I will definately find them to scan and post for all of our enjoyment...unless somone beats me to the punch!
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!! I remember the Renata Galasso magazines and had some of them at one time.....they may even be buried in boxes that I have...I remember buying complete sets from them and they gave you bonus cards and even autographs with your purchase if I remember correctly.....In fact I have a Willie May autographed poster that I got from them hanging in my basement...it's number 5 of 1000.....too bad it couldn't have been #24/1000!!!

Yankeeno...if you find the magazine from Galasso that had the autograph poster offer I'd be interested if you want to sell it.....

al.
  • jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Here you go!

Its the winter edition, listing Football and Hockey. For kicks, if you want to know what your favorite card was going for back then, post it here & I'll respond.

Jerster
    Yep!
    I have baseball from before 1990...they were like 1/3-1/2 the size before they hit that larger format. I remember looking at it a couple of months ago...I wanted to cry when I saw the prices. Anyone for a 1952 Topps Mantle for 500 bucks? uggh
    Since the cover featured Gretzky's RC, how much was that?

Mark
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    The oldest issues I have are CPP Nov 83, CPU (Card Prices Update) July 83 and a 84 Beckett, vol 1.

They do, however, make me sick looking at them.
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭

This guy remembers the CCCP
  • jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Great One's RC 79-80 Topps $200
    79-80 OPC $175

Those are NM prices. Mint cards..."Mint - Card is perfect in every way" would bring 40% more.
  • If I remember correctly, the CCP downfall came about due to price manipulation. Rumor had it that they would hype a certain card for soem big dealers with deep inventory, raise the price in the guide, which would allow those dealers to sell 100 card blocks of the card at the higher price. Remember, it was just a rumor.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

This guy remembers the CCCP >>

"If he dies, he dies!"

Stingray
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    WOW , that scan just brought back memories!!! I was thinking CCP , what is that , then I saw the scan and it hit me flat in the face. used to buy that like most of you as soon as it hit the shelves. there were a lot of diamonds hitting the vintage cards in the late 80's , nolan ryan's rookie had one every month with a 50-100 increase
    I seem to remember Rickey Henderson's RC going up every month, too. What was the price peak of this card? $200, $300?
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    I remember CPU which I believe looked about like CCP. I subscribed to it back around 80-82 I believe. Black and white. It was THE price guide.