Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Looking for these cards for my Football HOF Rookie collection

I'm looking for the following modern cards in PSA 9...please email me at kenny98z11@yahoo.com if you have them for sale.

1985 Topps 253 Mike Munchak PSA 9 paying $40, SMR is $20
1984 Topps 129 Dwight Stephenson PSA 9 Paying $30, SMR is $14
1982 Topps 486 Ronnie Lott PSA 9 paying $70, SMR is $55
1981 Topps 316 Dan Hampton PSA 9 paying $75, SMR is $25
1977 Topps 380 Dave Casper PSA 9 paying $100, SMR is $65

Comments

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I don't think you are going to touch the 1984 Stephenson for that price. IMPOSSIBLE to find in 9 for sale at any price. Your best bet is to find a raw one at a shop of from someone on the boards. I have my 9 that I got out of a pack two years ago. Though mine is not for sale for $40.

Good luck.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Just a heads up, here is what you should expect to pay for these particular cards:

1985 Munchak 9--$35-45
    1984 Stepehnson 9 --$50-75
    1982 Lott 9--$70-80
    1981 Hampton 9-$50-75 (although someone stole the last one on ebay for under $30)
    1977 Casper 9- $200+

Throw the SMR prices out the window for the HOF RCs...Only thing close I have is a PSA 8 Munchak for $8 delivered. I sold my PSA 9 for around $45 a couple of months ago...I have all the others, but like Favrefan they aren't for sale..lol

Hope this helps,
    Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    thanks for the price input. I haven't seen any Stephenson PSA 9s for sale, but looking for raw cards for a true 9 is just too much work.
  • Options
    The last Capser 9 I saw for sale Sold for $297.00 on Ebay. Now thats alittle crazy, but if you want the best I guess you got to pay for it. Good Luck.
    The rest you should be able to find for the price's that your offering with alittle patience.
  • Options
    I have a few Lotts in at PSA now, they come back in PSA 9 and Ill dial you up Kenny.
    Good luck with your HOF Rookie collection!

Here's what I have in right now:

Hard to Keep HOF Rookies in Stock
    Jeremy
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a few Lotts in at PSA now, they come back in PSA 9 and Ill dial you up Kenny.
    Good luck with your HOF Rookie collection!

Here's what I have in right now:

Hard to Keep HOF Rookies in Stock >>

Kenny,

In case you don't know Jeremy of The-Football-Card-Store, he is one of the best dealers in the hobby image Thanks again Jeremy for the 1973 Tim Foley - I just received it today and left positive feedback.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm looking for the following modern cards in PSA 9...please email me at kenny98z11@yahoo.com if you have them for sale.

1985 Topps 253 Mike Munchak PSA 9 paying $40, SMR is $20
    1984 Topps 129 Dwight Stephenson PSA 9 Paying $30, SMR is $14
    1982 Topps 486 Ronnie Lott PSA 9 paying $70, SMR is $55
    1981 Topps 316 Dan Hampton PSA 9 paying $75, SMR is $25
    1977 Topps 380 Dave Casper PSA 9 paying $100, SMR is $65 >>

I'm about 9 months into the FB HOF rookie set and my thoughts are as follows.

Munchak - You should be able to find a Munchak for $40. You might be better off buying several raw off E-Bay and submitting them yourself. I bought a lot of 10 off E-bay, submitted three and received 2 9's and 1 8.

Stephenson - I have no idea why this card is so tough to find in PSA 9 condition. There are only 12 9's with no 10's. I have bought at least 25 of his rookies off E-Bay, Naxcom and even pulled several from packs and centering is always a problem. I was lucky because I bought a SGC 88 off E-Bay for 99 cents (because the seller spelled his name as "Stepheson"), cracked and submitted and was lucky to receive a 9. It's somewhat off-centered for my liking but I'll take it for now.

Lott - you can find 9's on E-bay quite often but centering is always a problem. Many 9's I've seen are too off-centered for my liking.

Hampton - his rc is relatively tough in PSA 9 - I don't think the pop is very large. I busted a rack case and couldn't find one that was centered decently. I still think you can find a decent raw copy and submit yourself. I currently have an 8 and would like to eventually upgrade.

Casper - The 1977 rookies are tough and Casper is no exception. A PSA 8 went recently for $100 and 9's go for well over $250. As yahbigham said, the last Caper PSA 9 sold for nearly $300 on E-Bay. I would suggest trying to find raw but 77's are tough to find, let alone centered (which is a problem) and unopened material has dried up and is very expensive. The BBCExchange has some unopened wax and cello's - but I've gone this route w/ no luck. Many times the older wax/cello/racks have been "abused" and the corners are shot. I currently have a PSA 8 that took me FOREVER to find.

Good luck and I'm glad to have new blood involved in the set. You will find that there are many knowledgeable set registry members who are more than willing to answer any questions. My set is registered under "Greg Montieth's collection.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Kenny,

I viewed your HOF RC set, and it looks like you are off to a very nice start.

May I direct you to my website? I have some of the older cards available that you need if you are interested.

Here's the link:

JasP24's PSA Football Rookies Only

Best of Luck and welcome to the club! (It's the best football set to collect BTW)..No commons..lol
    Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Greg -
    thanks for the comments on the cards. I have a feeling some of these Offensive and Defensive linemen are tough to find in high grade for two reasons: 1. people didn't really care about them in the past, even if they were All-Pro every year..... 2. They still don't care much about them! Let's face it, Pace, Ogden, the guy from Seattle, etc. very few collect their current cards even though they are probably HOF material. Even people like Strahan and Peppers probably don't get much hobby love. It's all QBs, RBs, WRs...and I'm guessing on the defensive side, only the LBs get attention (Ray Lewis, Urlacher these days ... Singletary, L.T. in the past). So I don't think these cards in high grade are all that rare, it's just tough to find because few people are digging them up to get them graded...at least compared to the Elways and even the Dickerson's of the world.

Jasp
    We've had discussions before, and I have purchased some of your cards. Kenny Low is a pseudo-name I use. Thanks.
  • Options
    I also wanted to add that the way I'm collecting this set is by working backwards. Unlike baseball, I don't know much about the old-timers. My knowledge of football really started in the mid-80s, so I know most of the rookies from the early/mid 70s, and all from the 80s. But very few from the 60s and beyond. So I figured I'd collect the guys I know about and then work back and learn about the old timers when the time comes. I have the following cards "saved" up for when these guys are eligible for the HOF:

1989 Score PSA 10 cards:
    Troy Aikman
    Deion Sanders
    Michael Irvin (will he have problems with his recent drug-related issue?)
    Cris Carter (borderline HOFer, but I think more likely to make it than not...but I'm guessing not a first ballot guy)
    Tim Brown (a higher chance than Carter, especially since he has the Notre Dame and Heisman background)

1986 Topps Jerry Rice PSA 10
    1984 Topps USFL Reggie White PSA 9 (should make it in this year)
    1982 Topps Lawrence Taylor in a GAI 10 - I can't risk cracking it out and submitting it to PSA, and I don't think PSA would cross it over...anyone care to see a scan?
    1984 Topps Roger Craig PSA 10 (I'm guessing his chances are pretty low now, I don't remember hearing his name come up as possible HOFers...but I still think he's one of the great players of my youth)
    1981 Topps Art Monk PSA 9 - probably will never get in I guess. Especially with the new breed of WRs catching so many balls and yards every year
    1980 Topps Phil Simms PSA 10 - Definitely not a HOFer, but I think he's under-rated. Plus I like him as a broadcaster.
    1975 Topps Joe Theismann PSA 9 - A think he's probably not going to make it. But if he does, would this be considered his rookie or his CFL card instead?
    1975 Topps Drew Pearson PSA 9 and 1975 Topps Cliff Branch PSA 9 - both probably won't make it since it's been a few years now...but they were on top of their positions when in their prime.
    1973 Topps Ken Anderson PSA 9 - my first football memory was the Dan Fouts era...and I was rooting for the Chargers against the Bengals in that frigid game in Cincinnati. So this is a nice card for my collection.
  • Options
    PSA 10 Jerry Rice RC???

Sweeeeeetttt...

• Options
    hope this works
  • Options
    Glad to hear Mr. Foley made it over to your house, thanks very much for the very kind words.

Kenny, unless there is more than one GAI 10 Taylor, I remember that card going off at an auction house for a very fair price.
    Nice pick up.
    Jeremy
  • Options
    Just picked up this PSA 8 Red Grange to start on the early end of the Football HOF RC set.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    I know Darell Green should get in the HOF but what about Jim Covert and Deron Cherry? I love the 84 Football set so with Marino,Elway,Dickerson,Stephenson,Green,Long and Slater it would be a pretty big HOF rookie card class?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Darrell Green 99% chance, Jim Covert 40%, Deron Cherry 0%..

Nice start with a PSA 8 Grange..I was wondering why that auction ended early...lol

Since money isn't a factor in your collection, its going to be all about finding what you need...The 35 Chicles and 48 Leafs are obviously THE hardest to find, especially in high grade...So if you see them, you should go after them. They've more than doubled in value since I started buying them around 6 years ago...
  • Options
    I don't want to give the wrong impression - money is an issue in my collectin! I am happy to spend on some cards, but there is a budget, and I pride myself on paying fair market prices (or close to them), as opposed to just outbidding everyone. That's part of the fun in this hobby for me. Not just the card itself, but how or what price the card arrived in my collection.

For this Grange card, it was a special circumstance where I had a card that the seller needed for his set, and he was aggressive enough to make a generous trade offer which I accepted. Otherwise I don't think I would have won this card in a regular auction...I was just lucky to have one of the few cards he needs for his set.