Home Metal Detecting
Options

Tale of a Failed Expedition (some large pics)

Hey everyone, since many of you seem to be cooped up inside avoiding freezing temperatures outside, I'd like to invite to you join me on today's journey. Even if it didn't turn out successful, it's still good to get out of the house.. even if only virtually! So...

I have been looking for some good spots to hunt now that school is out and I have some more time. I also like to drive around in the mountains a lot and yesterday while driving down a frontage road in front of the mountains near my hometown, I spotted what looked like a very old abandoned building up at the foot of the mountains. So today I packed up and headed back up there. I found a very rocky road that I managed to drive up a bit until my little S-10 couldn't go any further. I took a pic from the place I had to park... looks like a hike from here! (Ive circled the little building, its hard to find otherwise... I barely noticed it! Sorry for the big pic too, I had to in order to give you a true sense of the journey. image)

45 minutes later and a little thirsty, I found myself staring at what appeared to be a very old house. At first sight, this was exactly what I was hoping for!!!:

Upon walking closer to the abandoned building, my heart began to sink. It was clear that a lot of people my age have more able vehicles than I do and have used this as a party spot for some years now. image Everywhere I looked there was trash laying on the ground. Here is a random sample of ground around the house so you know the extent of what I'm talking about:

I couldn't swing my detector 2 inches without it signaling.. I am still way too new at this to be able to tell "good signals" from "bad signals" and I spent about an hour or so pulling up all sorts of crap (which I kept and took with me, not that it made a difference). Even with the discrimination at the maximum, my detector was going crazy.

The foundation of the house seems to have revealed the approximate date of when someone might have been living here, although I can't explain the backwards "S" image:

I would have given anything to have the top inch of crap taken away from that site, I just know there are some killer finds there! Who knows, I could have been standing on a 31-s cent!
After a 3 hour total round-trip, I returned to my truck with a bunch of nails, bullet casings and bottle caps. I couldn't even search the walls of the house because people had shot the house with rifles and there were bullets stuck all over in the walls!image

Oh well, it was still good exercise and I love to get away into the mountains. FYI, I was so hot after hiking I had to take my sweater off. Gotta love the high 60's and sunny weather right now in New Mexico, even in the mountains!
Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector

Comments

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Great story and super pictures!! image

I can relate.. have been at similar sites myself...
    The good news is that drunk/partying people are likely to drop more stuff than people in general, so if you manage to live with the trash you can find a lot...
    Sometimes digging everything works, sometimes it's just too bad (e.g. on one beach I detected I dug almost 200 trash targets before I got the first coin, so discrimination was needed there...)

A tip: Look for larger rocks and search carefully around them (edit: e.g. the ones towards the back of your second picture look promising!). People sit on them and stuff falls out of their pockets..

PS. I'm very envious of the weather you are having!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Nice post joefro!!

I'm looking at all the "White Death" laying outside my window right now, wishing I was out your way!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    What was the coin in the third photo? Just left of the 22 shell, and below...even with the green glass?

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Business strike Bud-Light, well circulated. Modern crap. image
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options

<< <i>Business strike Bud-Light, well circulated. Modern crap. image >>

???Business strike Bud-Light??? What code is that? :-|

>>well circulated. Modern crap<< Code for zink??? I guess.

May not be worth the trip and hike.

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks- I was gonna ask about the Bud Light cap, too. image

Not a failed expedition at all- you got some cool pictures! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cool story