Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are bags of junk silver as liquid as silver American eagles?

I received a newsletter via email from a dealer recently. Here is a cut and paste of part of the newsletter which indicates that junk silver in bags is a cheaper buy than SAEs. Does anyone know if the junk bags are as liquid in the marketplace?

Buying Silver?
We sell thousands upon thousands of
U.S. Silver Eagles with many buyers
picking them up because they feel
silver will go higher. If this applies
to you than there is a cheaper alternative
that you should consider. Pre-
1964 silver dimes and quarters, also
known as “junk silver” can be bought
for almost a full $1.00 less per ounce
and serve the same purpose. “Junk
Silver” is sold by the bag, each bag
containing $1,000 face value of pre
1964 silver coins. Half bags and
quarter bags are also available.
Prices for each are listed just before
the coin listings in this issue.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    $1000 bags of silver are more liquid than silver eagles. Where would you go to sell silver eagles? There are many places that buy and sell $1000 bags of silver (e.g. Tulving).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "More liquid" and "cheaper to buy" are entirely different questions.

In my experience, junk bags carry a significantly smaller premium, if any, over eagles.

In terms of liquidity, I think silver eagles might beat junk silver, but just by a smidge. Anyplace that would buy one would buy the other, but my perception is that it's a little easier to sell eagles online.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    "...but my perception is that it's a little easier to sell eagles online. "

Where?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    eBay.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Any dealer will also buy eagles, albeit for less than you could get on eBay. As to liquidity, I'd expect junk silver to be slightly less liquid because someone who needed silver for industrial use (rather than speculative purposes) would have to refine junk silver to get rid of the copper. That would result in a price less than spot unless you could sell it to another speculator. In sum, silver eagles are demanded by speculators and industry alike, whereas junk silver is not nearly as valued in industry, and thus trades at a discount in one major market. As such, eagles are more liquid.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they are as liquid as silver eagles.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Silver Eagles, buy for $10 sell for $9, is that what you mean by liquid?
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are bags of junk silver as liquid as silver American eagles? >>

What's the difference? image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    A $1000 bad of 90% coin is easily sold to dealer. I can't say that my dealer would want to buy 780 silver eagles since they command a decent premium over silver. If he did it would be to make a dealer to dealer transaction and you'd get screwed on the price. Everyone in their brother buys 90% coin because of margins. You'll see people buy a roll or two once a year but rarly huge quanities of Eagles.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its easy to sell either...however bags can get heavy.....we bought 3.5 bags the other day and I think it was over 200 lbs
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Steve: Liquid means easy to dispose of. For instance, silver is more liquid than real estate, because while it takes weeks to sell a house, you can sell just about any amount of silver in a few days (you can also transport silver between markets, which enhances its liquidity--you can't pick up an acre of land in Louisiana and transport it to Florida).

Liquidity and profitability are not necessarily the same thing. Liquidity is how quickly you can dispose of an asset (at a reasonable, but not necessarily profitable, price). So yes, if you buy a silver eagle for $10 and sell it for $9 to the first person you approach, it's very liquid (if not very profitable!).
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    I think it depends on the quality, state, and quantity (i.e. mint sealed box? worn? standard bags? tubes? dimes or halves? etc.) Generally speaking, you would probably find it a little easier and faster to get rid of Eagles all things being typical.
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    3.5 bags or 2145 eagles, equally heavy......
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    3.5 bags or 2502 (correction) eagles, equally heavy......
  • Options
    Silver Eagles are a horrible way to invest in silver bullion. If that's your intent.

Unless you can get them for spot. image

As far as liquidity, both are fairly equal in my experience. There are many small investors who actually want Silver Eagles.

Personally, I prefer melt silver coins. I also prefer that term over "junk" silver.

To me, junk silver is flatware, tea sets, candleholders, etc.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    "Silver Eagles are a horrible way to invest in silver bullion. If that's your intent."

I strongly disagree -- for many people and goals, they are excellent. First, if you buy them in bulk, like in a mint sealed case, their price over spot can be reduced substantially. But even without that, you get some beneifts that I feel are more than worth it.

First, if your goal is catastrophe insurance, government issued bullion holds a legitimacy and recognition second to none. No assayers will be needed like with other forms of bullion. Most people recognize that form of bullion (coins) more than bars and rounds stamped by some company that is, to almost all of them, unfamiliar in brand or as a medium. Eagles, especially mint tubes and cases, take on some numismatic value over time. Over a certain amount of years that alone negates the premium over spot. Also, government issued bullion has a spendable monetary value unlike rounds and bars, as well as great purity (like the Maples). Other forms of bullion have advantages no doubt, but to say Eagles are horrible is simply incorrect.
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a question for people who buy and sell $1,000 face value silver bags. Does the buyer usually open the bags to count the silver to make sure there is a full $1,000 in it or do they just weigh it? Also, does the buyer check for clad coins which may be mixed in with the silver?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I love the way a relatively straightforward question becomes a long thread image

It's great to see thoughtful responses and to get perspectives that you might not think about at first glance.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I love bullion talk.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you melt them both at a hot enough temperature, yes. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If you melt them both at a hot enough temperature, yes. image >>

• Options
    It wasn't THAT funny, and don't encourage HIM.
  • Options

<< <i>It wasn't THAT funny, and don't encourage HIM. >>

I find physics humor QUITE funny, thank you image

• Options
    I apologize ... I .. forgot about physics humor image
  • Options

<< <i>It wasn't THAT funny, and don't encourage HIM. >>

*snif*

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 90% silver coin bags myself.

Why? The potential for finding neat coins.

In 1995, I bought two $500 face value bags of walkers from F J Vollmers. I was shocked that one of the bags had nearly $400 of AU/BU walkers mixed in. Try ever gettting that kind of a pleasant surprise with SAE's.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    There. See? I derailed it, oreville re-railed it. image

• Options
    BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037
    My experience says "yes". Never have a problem selling either. I feel I do better with bags because of the tighter margins.
    But I really image 100oz bars!! So neat and so cheap!(compared to SAE's)

but that's just me
  • Options

<< <i>I have a question for people who buy and sell $1,000 face value silver bags. Does the buyer usually open the bags to count the silver to make sure there is a full $1,000 in it or do they just weigh it? Also, does the buyer check for clad coins which may be mixed in with the silver? >>

Melt silver coins are always counted. Even in sealed bags.

Dealers have machines for that, doesn't take long at all. Some larger machines can count at incredibly fast rates.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
  • Options

<< <i>"Silver Eagles are a horrible way to invest in silver bullion. If that's your intent."

I strongly disagree -- for many people and goals, they are excellent. First, if you buy them in bulk, like in a mint sealed case, their price over spot can be reduced substantially. But even without that, you get some beneifts that I feel are more than worth it.

First, if your goal is catastrophe insurance, government issued bullion holds a legitimacy and recognition second to none. No assayers will be needed like with other forms of bullion. Most people recognize that form of bullion (coins) more than bars and rounds stamped by some company that is, to almost all of them, unfamiliar in brand or as a medium. Eagles, especially mint tubes and cases, take on some numismatic value over time. Over a certain amount of years that alone negates the premium over spot. Also, government issued bullion has a spendable monetary value unlike rounds and bars, as well as great purity (like the Maples). Other forms of bullion have advantages no doubt, but to say Eagles are horrible is simply incorrect. >>

We were talking about government issued 90% silver coins versus Silver Eagles. Bullion isn't part of the equation here. You don't need an assayer with US coins either.

Numismatic value? Not in my real world experience. An '88 isn't worth any more than an '04.

They are indeed a horrible way to invest in bullion due to the premium added on by the mint and the way they are distributed to the public. They are a guaranteed money loser, thus I call them a horrible investment. Would I rather buy approximately 80 Silver Eagles or a 100 ounce bar for the same amount of money? The answer seems fairly straightforward to me. To each his own, I suppose.

I have several hundred stashed away, but only because I was able to buy them at spot price.
  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Why mess with the weight of the physical.
    Get a Kitco pool account and trade on line.

RR
    <html />
  • Options
    Any dealer will also buy eagles, albeit for less than you could get on eBay. As to liquidity, I'd expect junk silver to be slightly less liquid because someone who needed silver for industrial use (rather than speculative purposes) would have to refine junk silver to get rid of the copper. That would result in a price less than spot unless you could sell it to another speculator. In sum, silver eagles are demanded by speculators and industry alike, whereas junk silver is not nearly as valued in industry, and thus trades at a discount in one major market. As such, eagles are more liquid.

Anyone buying silver for industrail use would not be buying silver eagles or junk silver as the premiums are too high for that purpose.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    I would say they're about equally liquid but 90% silver bags trade at a narrower spread than ASEs.

WH
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"Silver Eagles are a horrible way to invest in silver bullion. If that's your intent."

First, if your goal is catastrophe insurance, government issued bullion holds a legitimacy and recognition second to none. No assayers will be needed like with other forms of bullion. Most people recognize that form of bullion (coins) more than bars and rounds stamped by some company that is, to almost all of them, unfamiliar in brand or as a medium. Eagles, especially mint tubes and cases, take on some numismatic value over time. Over a certain amount of years that alone negates the premium over spot. Also, government issued bullion has a spendable monetary value unlike rounds and bars, as well as great purity (like the Maples). Other forms of bullion have advantages no doubt, but to say Eagles are horrible is simply incorrect. >>

We were talking about government issued 90% silver coins versus Silver Eagles. Bullion isn't part of the equation here. You don't need an assayer with US coins either.

Numismatic value? Not in my real world experience. An '88 isn't worth any more than an '04.

They are indeed a horrible way to invest in bullion due to the premium added on by the mint and the way they are distributed to the public. They are a guaranteed money loser, thus I call them a horrible investment. Would I rather buy approximately 80 Silver Eagles or a 100 ounce bar for the same amount of money? The answer seems fairly straightforward to me. To each his own, I suppose.

I have several hundred stashed away, but only because I was able to buy them at spot price. >>

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree.

Why needlessly throw away money on

the spread if you want to play in

physical siver. The Kitco pool is great

but I like holding my pm assets.

• Options
    I prefer the junk silver...always have. HOWEVER, back in the late 70's when the price went up to almost $50 an ounce; there was a three month back log at the smelters and junk silver was traded at about the $35 an ounce level due to that backlog. At the same time, my Englehard 100 oz bars were trading at the $50 spot price.

Despite this experience, I still prefer to hold the junk silver.
    Go well.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Doesn't the wear on the coins affect the silver value?

$1000 of FDR dimes would be less silver than $1000 of 64 halves?
  • Options
    BlindedByEgo, we will just have to agree to disagree. Being pure silver verses 90% has several benefits, and has the benefits I previously stated over the bars you mention. Sealed and older mint Eagles sell for more and as for being a guaranteed money loser you obviously haven't had the experience of buying tubes and cases a few years ago and selling them now. Also, you aren't taking into account the catastophe-related perks to being pure Government-issued bullion that has a spendable monetary value. Each form of bullion has distinct and legitimate benefits, and there are scenarios where Eagles have theirs. I love bullion in all form, 90% silver bags included. 90% Government coins have several benefits I love as well.
  • Options
    "silver eagles are a horrible investment" "junk silver is more liquid than silver eagles"

WRONG! WRONG!

People continually get this issue of liquidity wrong.

Spread is a measure of liquidity, period. When people analyze silver investments they think that if they are buying silver that has the lowest price per ounce that they are getting a "good" deal. This could not be further from the truth. Silver is an illiquid investment, so you need to pay special attention to liquidity.

Below is the buy/sell information for eagles and junk silver taken directly from California Numismatics Investment website, this tells you what they are willing to sell for and what they are willing to buy for:

US Silver Eagles 500 ct box BUY: $5075.00 SELL: $5275.00

This represents a spread of 3.5%

$1000 face 90% BUY $6,100 SELL: $6,450.00

This represents a spread of 6%

Silver eagles are MORE liquid than $1000 face bags. Furthermore, the better way to look at it is this way: If I go to CNI and buy a $1000 face bag, and then resell it to them immediately, then I will "lose" 6% of my money. If I do the same with a 500 ct box of eagles I will "lose" 3.5% of my money.

Now, which one is the better investment????

Spread is the best way to analyze a silver investment because it takes into account both the buy AND sell side of the equation. When you only look at the cost per ounce of silver, then you are only looking at the buy side.

The reason some forms of silver are priced so close to spot is because they are the least demanded form of silver, they invariably are also the ones discounted the most when you go to sell.

None of this is my opinion, it is a fact that is backed up by what the current buyers/sellers of silver are willing to buy and sell the different forms of silver for. If you research some of the other large sellers/buyers of silver (APMEX/Tulving, etc) the story is exactly the same.

Basing your silver investments off of what your local dealer is willing to buy and sell for is a major mistake because it does no represent the overall silver mkt.

When making an investment, you cannot just look at what you pay for something; you must take into account what the mktplace is willing to buy it back from you at.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Try buying a 1996 SAE roll on ebay for less than $700.00.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wuts the composition of the silver Kennedy halves?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    $1000 silver bags are cheaper than bars. almost 30 cents an oz cheaper. 1000 oz bar=9220 or 9.20 cents a oz
    $1000 bags are 8.94 per oz based on a 712 oz silver per 1000 dollar bag.

10 percent copper in the 1964 kennedy.

question how much is copper selling for these days?
  • Options
    Copper is rougly $2 per pound. That's one of the reasons that the $1,000 bags of 40% halves are starting to look interesting. With a bag of 40% halves, you get somewhere on the order of 30 pounds of "free" copper. Would you stop and pick up three $20 bills on the street?

Despite what some on this board will knee-jerk about purity and the cost to refine, 90% and 40% halves have an established market that already takes their respective purity into account. They might sell at a discount, but something for nothing is a benefit to most people.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I've never known a dealer to ever consider the copper value when computing the cost of 40% silver coins.

Refining costs are a factor. Nothing knee-jerk about it and to imply such is an insult.

Try selling a bag of 40% melt coins to a dealer and tell him you expect to be paid for the copper value as well. You may get laughed at, at the very least he's going to wonder if you are actually serious or simply deluded.

The only way you are going to realize any value for the copper is if you are smelting and refining them yourself.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    ericguy, welcome to the boards.

In my experience, 90% silver typically trades at a narrower gap than the example you gave. I just checked Dollar Towne. They're buying at $5750 and selling at $5870 (about a 2% spread). Engle's is buying at $5750 and selling at $5950 (just under 3.5% spread).

WH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file