Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you had one series to collect....

Good morning:If you had just one series to collect (cent,nickel,dime,etc.) what would it be and why.I find it interesting to know what your reasons are.Thanks,TOM

Comments

• Options
    I'm working on just my Kennedy Halves, I'm not sure why that stuck with me, I started out with the shotgun approch but then I found that Halves were what I collected the most. Got one Kennedy in PCGS 66 and I was hooked. It is a great set to do on a budget, but are hard to find at any of the Coin Show's so most of mine have come from Board members hear or E-Bay. I have now decollected all of my old raw sets from my shotgun days except for my raw Halve's. So I guess I collect them because of budget, challenge to find, history, and just plain fun to collect.
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    Conder tokens just like I'm doing now. But I would expand my collecting target to include all of the English tokens including the edge varieties. That would account for over 3000 varieties. That should keep me going a long time.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Morgan Dollars as I have decades of experience with them; my eyesight is not the best for smaller coins; it is a big series that is rich with varieties, die states, and interesting clashes.

If I had to choose a different series, it would probably be Large Cents. Collected Half Cents for a long while and always likes Large Cents. The Robinson Brown feat of completing the variety run twice is as encouraging as Jack Lee's Morgan sets.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    half. im currently collecting halves and quarters (and to some degree silver dollars) for a type set. my main focus is on halves at the moment. i just love the size i guess....
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    indian cents
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without question it would be Capped Bust Half Dimes.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    I'm currently working on a circulated set of Morgans. Grades 15 to 35. The keys must be certified PCGS or NGC.
    There is a nice 93-S (25) that I hope lasts until after New Years and if I can sweet talk Mrs. curly enough, ...who knows.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgans.

Just like what I collect now. image
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Classic Commems..50 different types...lots of possibilities and challenges..plenty to learn about.
    Bruce Scher
    ps..and old,low mintages,and for the most part inexpensive in fairly high grade
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    That I would want? Bust gold eagles. That I could afford? Jefferson nickels.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty Nickels
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Commems...short mintages, affordable prices, tons of history.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Type series. image
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Why it would be the half dimes, of course. Is there anything else?

Seriously, I elected to devote my collecting time and resources exclusively to the half dimes, of all series, perhaps 25 years ago, and have stuck with them ever since. I sort of backed into the half dimes, after previously completing a set of five cent nickels; it was a natural progression.

The half dimes certainly offer a challenge, yet they are typically easier than other denominations of the same design. In addition, once you have completed a date/mint set, you can enter the wonderful world of 'die marriage' collecting and continue with the series you enjoy. This expands the Capped Bust half dimes, for instance, from just nine different dates to fully 91 die marriages - a real challenge.

And if that is not challenge enough, the early half dimes (Flowing Hair and Draped Bust) offer 32 different die marriages, and these include both the 1792 half disme and the 1802, for those who enjoy a real challenge.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

Trade Dollars.

I was in a local shop the other day. They have three empty old Whitman Trade Dollar folders. The owner and I talked over what it would cost to populate one of those, at decent circ. grades: $5K. <sigh>!!
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Capped Bust Half Dollars by Overton variety.

The serious collector base is strong and well educated in the series, and the new collector interest the past few years is promising. The Busties have real character with die cracks, die breaks, die clashes, lots of overdates, many mint errors, etc.

I only started collecting Classic Commems because I was not finding Busties that I liked, and could buy for the right price. Recently, I started paying up so I bought a few Halves.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Cents because it's what I started out on.

David
  • Options
    If I had to choose I would have to say American eagle because they have a very nice look to them, with a close second being Mercury dime because of the look and the cost is afordable on a small budget
  • Options
    How about Walkers folks?
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    proof half cents

a historical fantastic series with many classic stand alone coins that are rarer and yet way less expensive than so called current million dollar restruck novadel unofficially midnight minter made at the federal mint in philly san fran and denver federal mints

beautiful coins with many die varieties proof only restrikes and original coins and coins as far back as the 1830's in proof with cameo contrast!!

color designations and wildly colored coinage from brown rb even red coins and also many rb and bn wildly colored coins

from proofs with cameo to deep mirrors to no mirrors to sharp strongly struck coins to weakly struck proofs to many highly questionable proofs

and a great history lesson as there are many eras from the middle 1830's classic head proofs that are basically diplomatic presentation proofs to the proof only dates of the 1840's where no half cents circulated just proofs struck for collectors and dignatories to the later proofs of the 1850's and some of these 1850's proofs have as deep mirrors and crisp strong strikes as many modern copper proof coins

and the 1856 kind of a neat date for the proof half cents as it is a transitional year as you can have a pattern proof 56 flyer which costs around 20kfor a nice close to gem proof coin and available by the ton and yet have a proof half cent close to gem with better eye appeal and mirrors that is an official fereral mint issue coin at less than half of the price of the 56 flyer and yet lots more unavailable than the 56 flyer in proof

and both coins side by side both copper coins of the same date and proof yet totally fifferent designs and sizes cool

or better yet just to have one cameo classic head half cent in proof the magical 1834 king of siam proof set date a true dimpomatic presentation issue proof year half cent would be wild and extremely historical and downright scarce!!

the 1834 proof half cent almost as rare as an 1804 dollar at a lot less money and more important to boot abet not as glamourized in print and the 1834 proof half cent actually minted the year it is dated and for the prestige of the new up and coming powerful nation to show the rest of the world our new trade and growth as representated by our coinage

and the classic head is such a beautiful classic design

so for a proof half cent collector one from the 1830's of the diplomatic era one proof half cent from the proof only years of the 1840's and one from the later 1850's wirh deep mirrors and a good look

or even just one proof half cent for type a collection in and of itself

so many considerations for many tastes and budgets

but the ultimate proof half cent is would be a gem cameo 1834 diplomatic presentation proof half cent

• Options

Hhhmmm, let me see...Well, I'll have to think about that for a while...NOT!!

Lincolns, baby!! All day everyday!!!

Jack

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    A "Series" to me is the entire series of Barber coins...Nickel, Dime, Quarter and Half Dollar. I have completed this series with the exception of the 94-S dime and the 01-S quarter. Grade of choice has always been AU 55-58. So, I guess the next logical thing to do would be to try and complete the series in MS 63-66.

Edited to mention that the 06-O & 09-O quarters below in my Signiture Line are needed as they are both in my set but are in ANACS "MS details Net AU 50" holders and I'd like to have the entire set in PCGS holders.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I gotta love them $100 Platinum Eagles. Both Proof and BU.
  • Options
    liberty halves
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭
    Morgan Dollars by date and MintMark! Its a challenge to put one of these sets together (esp in XF40+!)

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    I still can't decide, I'll start on one type, see something else I like and get completly side tracked, then buy something else that looks good. I guess I should start on 1 of everything (I wish). image
    image Steam Power
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Morgans- toned and prooflike. They just have a connection to my soul........ image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently collecting Buffalo nickels since it was the dream series for me as a kid. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    The answer has to be colonials -

They have tremendous historical significance, they come in a wide variety of sizes, metallic compositions, design motiffs, and make a great looking set. Many are genuinely exceedingly rare compared to what are typically considered rare federal issues, yet they are often far more affordable - so I believe there is value there.

Thats a compelling story, IMO.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Half Dollars, particularly Walkers and Barber Halves.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Conder tokens just like I'm doing now. But I would expand my collecting target to include all of the English tokens including the edge varieties. That would account for over 3000 varieties. That should keep me going a long time. >>

I was thinking about Civil War Tokens! (over 11,000 varieties)image
  • Options

<< <i>I was thinking about Civil War Tokens! (over 11,000 varieties) >>

A very good choice. They were my second choice, but I tend to prefer the patriotics and I am not as interested in newer coins as much as I am the late 18th early 19th century issues.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Proof seated half dollars. Large coins, often nicely toned, and undervalued...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    <-------

Standing Liberty Quarters
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    Walkers----especially 'early' Walkers in VF-AU grades---original skinned coins. But I will buy other nice coins when I see them. Just bought a wonderfully toned original 1918 SLQ as an example. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still collect most everything but have been concentrating on clad quarters for nine
    years now. If I had to stick with a single series, though, I'd pick this one anyway be-
    cause it's got almost everything from circulation to unobtainable rarities. It's a hugely
    underresearched area so there are always possibilities of new discoveries and new
    ways to collect them. There are more varieties than with the other moderns with the
    possible exception of Lincolns or Kennedys. It's a pretty large set even if you don't
    include the states issues but it is still small enough to be manageable.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same one I have been affixiated on since the early 1970's...capped bust halves.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    pcpropcpro Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Lincoln Cents by far!!

You can collect the Classic series 1909 to 1933, the Wheat set 1909 to 1958, the Memorials 1959 to present, or the whole thing.

There's different styles of "proofs"; Matte 1909 to 1916, 1936 to 1942, 1950 to 1955, 1956 to 1964, the SMS's, and 1968 to present.

Lincoln cents were made with different metals depending on the times.

There's plenty of die varieties and errors, many cherrypickable for profit, and many yet to be discovered.

There's an entry point for every budget.

You can buy a few rolls and look through them with your kids; or have your kids go through the "goodie box" at the local coin store.

Develop a good eye, and they're better than the stock market!

They'll always be the second or third most popular coin series; the reasons are locked in American history.

Other Lincoln collectors are usually blocks, not miles, away. And it seems most hobbiests collected Lincolns at one time.

The knowledge, experience, and enjoyment you can gain as a collector is nearly limitless.

PC
    An enthusiastic fan of Kennedy Halves for over 20 years. Always looking for great coins!! Email: wpflack@comcast.net
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double dimes by die variety . . . geez, somebody has to collect them!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I too would have to stick with the Lincoln Cents. I started collecting them when I was a kid and still trying to get set #1 in all Uncirculated as a minimum condition. I've got 10 sets complete but set number #1 just has to become all Uncirc.
    I still go to banks and buy a $50 bag of pennies, go through them and then return them to a different bank.
    Carl
  • Options
    State quarters. I like the variety!
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Draped bust, heraldic eagle half dollars, my current main focus. Two years ago there were 59 known die varieties. Now, thanks to board members Baley, LordMarcovan, and Cladiator, there are 61 varieties. I have always admired early US coins, going back to buying my first Redbook as a seven year old. When first saw a draped bust dollar at a coin shop I was awestruck. Half dollars are they least expensive of the silver draped bust series, and to me the most interesting.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file