Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2005 Clad Proof Sets Sold Out Today at Mint

So it looks like the 2005 clad set is going to shoot up in value and be much higher than the silver set -- just like the 2004. At least for a while, until all the speculators dump their stock.
-----
KR

Comments

• Options
    The silver set will be next,the clad was out 3 months before the silver set.The mint must be laughing all the way to the bank as people buy in bulk now before they cant sell it any more, smart idea.
  • Options
    The 2005 Silver Proof Set will probably be sold out within a couple days....
  • Options

<< <i>The silver set will be next,the clad was out 3 months before the silver set.The mint must be laughing all the way to the bank as people buy in bulk now before they can't sell it anymore, smart idea. >>

The Mint says they 'cannot guarantee delivery... blah, blah, blah' of any of the coin sets that contain the new nickel -- but they are trying to work it out so they can still sell existing stock after 12/31/2005. I read in Coin World that the mint is trying to get language inserted into some coin related bill that make the numismatic items that the Mint sells the exception to the stipulation that a Monticello Only Reverse is required after 2005 (in law that brought about the Westward Journey Nickels). I don't see this as being an issue with proof sets. But market values for things like the First Day Coin Covers and the 6 Nickel sets will likely hinge on whether the Mint gets their amendment through. If they do, then the over-priced Westward Journey FDCs will likely be available for years to come -- just like the Quarter FDCs. If they are required to pull them on 12/31, then the price of those already sold should do well. What would be really bad is if the Mint pulls the items on 12/31, then gets their amendment passed months later and puts them back on the market again. There might be a great many people stuck with a product they paid too much for when the bottom drops out. Too risky for me. I'll just watch and see what happens.
    -----
    KR
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    I agree the Mint is more confused then ever.

I would assume they can sell coins until 12/31/05 without a problem. So why do they need legislation, when I appears they will sell out before the end of the year??

As for the Nickel sets, two satins and a proof. I think they will sell out of these also. MAYBE if they didn't do the satin coin for the P & D, then they might sell them forever. But with the satin coin and a Proof, I think the mintage will be limited. The mint wants to maximize profits and part of that is to NOT be stuck with inventory.
  • Options
    it will be interesting to see where the prices go on these on Ebay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file