Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Call me crazy but I ordered a Liberty Seated Dime...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dansco album over the weekend. As my type set nears completion, I am planning for my next raw circulated set. This one should keep me busy for quite some time.

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dansco album over the weekend. As my type set nears completion, I am planning for my next raw circulated set. This one should keep me busy for quite some time. >>

I really like seated dimes. I am sure it will be an interesting set. As for "busy for quite some time", didn't you complete your last type set in about 6 hours?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Cool. What is it? Seated dimes are another one of those old collections I started many, many years ago that I'm just now starting to resume.

Does this mean I have to go out and buy an old Dahlonega $5? image
  • Options
    As for "busy for quite some time", didn't you complete your last type set in about 6 hours?

Give or take. image

I probably filled about one-third of the 7070 album with coins I had laying around the house. I have very few circ seated dimes, none can be found in change (without the assistance of a time machine), and it will take me quite a long time to save up the money to buy Barry's 74-CC.

Does this mean I have to go out and buy an old Dahlonega $5?

My decision to start the seated dime set is independent of any other sets in progress.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I would have only said you were crazy if you were starting a seated quarter set.

Hope you get your 1874-cc dime reserved soon because they rarely show up in undamaged condition. But bang for the buck, keep a lookout for nice circs of the early O and S mint dimes.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>No, I would have only said you were crazy if you were starting a seated quarter set.

Hope you get your 1874-cc dime reserved soon because they rarely show up in undamaged condition. But bang for the buck, keep a lookout for nice circs of the early O and S mint dimes. >>

One of the things I like about seated dims is that it's a long series with a lot of challenges, some of them not all that expensive. It will take a long time even as you can make steady progress for a long time.

As you mentioned, finding nice, original early branch mint pieces in VF and above isn't easy with a few exceptions ('57-O, for example, is pretty easy to locate in high grades). Most of them are more worn than this, or have been cleaned to hell and back, or are just plain damaged. As I'm building most of my set in VF/EF condition, there's quite a few challenges that aren't all that pricey relative to scarcity.
  • Options
    No, I would have only said you were crazy if you were starting a seated quarter set. roadrunner

I didn't know what I was getting into back in the late 80's when I started my collection of Seated Quarters.

Ray

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Ray you are one of the elite crazies. If only all of us had been so farsighted. image

57-0 is a later O mint imo. I consider the early ones to be pre-1853.
    52-0 and earlier are the neater ones. Though I have to admit the 1853-0 in strong VF or better probably used to be my #1 sleeper.
    The 58-0 is also tough but there are enough coins to go around.

If I were doing a set I'd ignore all the common coins until I had all the keys, semi-keys, and scarce dates in tow. Those are the coins that everyone wants. There are lots of Philly dates that just tend to fill up a book......but maybe a rarer variety of the Philly dates would be interesting.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Seated Dimes? What a crazy idea, Robert. An almost endless series with a bunch of pricey keys. You gotta be nuts to do a series like that image

BTW, I'm probably going to be consigning my "spare" 74-CC to auction soon. It's AU details with an old cleaning, if you're interested. Buy soon before prices go up any more! Stack's sold a very similar (though mine has slightly more detail) 74-CC a few months ago for $39K.
  • Options
    DismeguyDismeguy Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    One of the things I like about seated dims is that it's a long series with a lot of challenges, some of them not all that expensive. It will take a long time even as you can make steady progress for a long time.

Completely agree with this point. Collecting seated dimes in nice "original" VF or better will take a long time. The challenge is not in locating examples of tough dates, rather finding "original" coins with even gray or brown color. There is nothing more impressive than completing a circulated set of silver coins with original patina. With the seated series requiring 121 coins, the challenge is significant even with access to more selection via the internet. Then add in full strikes (heads) and the level of difficulty is magnified.

Good luck..........and let me know if I can help. I still have some gem circulated duplicates in the bank.
    Gerry Fortin's Rare American Coins Online Storefront and Liberty Seated Dime Varieties Web- Book www.SeatedDimeVarieties.com Buying and Selling all Seated Denominations....
  • Options

<< <i>Completely agree with this point. Collecting seated dimes in nice "original" VF or better will take a long time. The challenge is not in locating examples of tough dates, rather finding "original" coins with even gray or brown color. There is nothing more impressive than completing a circulated set of silver coins with original patina. With the seated series requiring 121 coins, the challenge is significant even with access to more selection via the internet. Then add in full strikes (heads) and the level of difficulty is magnified. >>

I see a lot of them in the condition I'm working on in terms of wear...but most of them are damaged or cleaned, especially some of the tougher early dates. It's a shame to see an otherwise nice, high-grade '45-O, '49-O or '52-O, for example, that has been cleaned. These are harder to find than their current values would indicate.

<< <i>Good luck..........and let me know if I can help. I still have some gem circulated duplicates in the bank. >>

Oh, I need plenty of help, that much I know for sure...! It's mostly a matter of when the money is available (and the coin, of course). It's just about time to pay property taxes here, and there goes $4,500 I'll never see again...
  • Options
    I am going to pursue the branch mint coins first. I have ordered the following two coins from Gerry Fortin to get started:

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never took you for a masochist...
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice CC coin.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who would want a coin already designated a "Carbon Copy" by the mint?

I would like it for my Royal Oak Mint set of coins. Is it cheap?

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am going to pursue the branch mint coins first. I have ordered the following two coins from Gerry Fortin to get started:

image >>

Looks like this will be a uniform grade set you have going.

Those no star seated coins are way cool. One day I also will have one or two or three or four......

Ken
  • Options
    your crazy image

Oh yeah, well you need a Russ grammar and spelling consult. image
  • Options

<< <i>Those no star seated coins are way cool. One day I also will have one or two or three or four...... >>

I agree. I've gotta get me some of them. image

Collectors need to be careful grading them (and the no drapery with stars dimes, too). The LIBERTY on the shield wears differently than later dimes, and a coin can be a full Fine even if a couple of letters in the middle are missing. In fact, if you have a full LIBERTY on one of them, you probably have at least a full VF.

In other words, if you have one that looks like this '38-O up for sale on eBay, don't hurt yourself and call it a VG!
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, what grades would you put on these two coins.....

Cause I thought VG on that 38-O.....

With the CC being a EF.....

?

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, what grades would you put on these two coins.....

Cause I thought VG on that 38-O.....

With the CC being a EF..... >>

The CC coin is a solid AU, at least a 53 if not 55, IMO.

The '38-O is a perfect example of what I was referring to before. The no stars and no-drapery version of the seated dime have a different obverse than most of the series: the shield is held at more of an angle (instead of upright), and the shield also wears much more readily than later issues (much as the dates on the SLQs wore quickly before 1925).

Because of that, you can't use the usual "letters of LIBERTY" rule to give a Fine designation to the earliest seated dimes. For this type, LIBERTY may be incomplete yet the coin still grade a solid F-12, as this one does. In fact, this '38-O reverse is almost fully VF.

A shield with this much wear and an incomplete LIBERTY would limit this coin to VG after 1840, but not here.
  • Options
    The seller has the coins listed as F-12 and AU-55, respectively. His grading seems reasonable to me.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Are you still working on this set??? What's taking so long?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    What's taking so long?

Barry won't sell me the key date for a reasonable price. imageimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    If you want to pony up the big bucks I might be willing to let this magnificent example go:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ,

Thank you for the kind offer. I know how much that coin means to you, so I am going to PASS.
  • Options
    Stack's sells one for 39K and I'm willing to sell one, same grade, a little nicer, for under 30K, and that's not reasonable? image
  • Options
    I will give you 30 for it...........................................................................but not 30k.

In RYK's Little Numismatic World, $30,000 for a dime is not reasonable. image
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seated dimes, huh? You must be a masochist. I hope I didn't miss something in an earlier post when I ask do you have a target set of criteria? I gather there are certain dates/mints that you'll just take what you can get / can afford for, but for the common ones, of which there are many, what kinds of coins are you intending to buy? What's the guiding principle?
    mirabela
  • Options
    Here's an 1842 Seated dime I recently won. I took a bit of a chance on it, being raw on eBay and all. I think it's going to be a nice one, though. I suspect it's F-105, but I'll know more when I get it in hand:

imageimage
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am going to pursue the branch mint coins first. >>

Excellent choice. I should have started my quarter set similarly.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will give you 30 for it.................... >>

That's a good deal. The other guy only offered 25 image
  • Options
    Sure you know what you're getting into? There's still time to change your mind and collect Modern Crap™.
  • Options
    I did some research last night. There are way too many coins that are way too expensive for me. I think I am probably going to wuss out. Maybe raw SLQ's...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file